So you want a Tummy Tuck... - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > So you want a Tummy Tuck...

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #181
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
Maybe i should start selling jeep parts on here. I'll just pitch the company that i am part of and helped develop, but i won't give prices online. Way to beat the system blaine, you cheap bastartd. Keep pitching your junk and suckering the sheep into following your every word.
Again Joe, we have a vendor account. If we need another one because I am violating some rule, Keith will let us know and we will be more than happy to acquire one.

It's not an issue of being cheap, it's an issue of no one telling us that it was required and I'm certain with the amount of pettiness you exhibit publicly that you most assuredly have tattled.

Unread 01-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #182
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

For those who don't want a body lift, I got a PM from Matt over at undercover fab in regards to some comments I made in another thread. He said that he could also do a skid that was 1" deeper than normal. Then you should be ok without the bodylift. Keep in mind that you will only be gaining about an inch of clearance at that point. But since this skid is a smother design than the factory skid that might be enough to slider over things easier. I know I am considering it.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #183
jvetter03
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
Lets get back on topic guys. This thread was meant to discuss tummy tucks, not to argue about other topics.
Good call rubidriver....to get back onto track...

Does the amount of body lift required directly correlate to the amount of TT ground clearance gain?

For example...if your kit brags a 4" higher belly than stock and you only have a 1" body lift; where is that other 3" coming from (without pounding on the tranny tunnel)?
1999 Wrangler- Locked 8.8, locked D-30, UCF Belly up, 35 Mud Kings on Crager Soft 8's, 4" SL, 2" BB, 1" MML, 1" BL, Adjustable UCA's, Adjustable LCA's, Terra SYE, DC-DS, Smittybilt Tube Fenders, Quick Disco's, Rhino Lined Tub, Neoprene Seats, Marine radio/CB, 4 KC's, Smittybilt XR8[/COLOR]
jvetter03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #184
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

No, the height of a BL does not directly correlate with how high you can lift your skid.

If you crawl under a stock TJ, you'll see there is a gap between the body and drivetrain.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #185
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

After a certian amount there is a correlation. If you can get 2" with no BL and there is 1 cm of clearance between the tcase and tub for instance, then you will need a 1" BL to get 3" and so on. There's only so high you can go because you cannot tuck your frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #186
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There's only so high you can go because you cannot tuck your frame.
Depends on a few things, one being the skill of the fabricator. Gerald is considering us building a Savvy Company TJ and I will tuck the frame if we do.
Unread 01-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #187
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I guess what I mean is you cannot tuck your frame in a "bolt on stand point."

Quote:
Unread 01-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #188
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

More pics of the UCF aluminum skid

Quote:
Unread 01-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #189
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
More pics of the UCF aluminum skid

That's impressive, the die marks that is. A 3 plus inch bottom die? That's way too cool.
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:10 PM   #190
SpeedJeep
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

UCF skid looks nice. Now they need a matching engine skid and steering box skid.

I'm a little disappointed to see Rokmen still doesn't have an engine skid for my application.
SpeedJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #191
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboyd View Post
steering box skid.
Not disagreeing with you, but help me out with the logic. I'm all about saving some weight, but is the steering skid the place to do it?
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #192
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not disagreeing with you, but help me out with the logic. I'm all about saving some weight, but is the steering skid the place to do it?
I don't wheel hard enough to care about a steering skid, but would there be a reason not too save weight here. It would seem to me that its a small enough piece of aluminum that it would only cost $10-$20 more so why not? Every pound helps. Just my thoughts.

EDIT: I'm not taking one side or the other or trying to start an argument about steering skids. I'm just sayin...
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #193
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
x2... What could the actual savings there be? I mean, I could loose more weight hitting the bathroom in the morning than anyone could going with a different steering skid. I know Blaine made a mention of never getting into the radiator protection business because there wasn't enough savings there. There is more steel needed there than a steering box.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:44 PM   #194
SpeedJeep
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'll admit there is no logic. I just figure that if 3 out of my 4 skids are going to be aluminum I might as well purchase an aluminum steering box skid so the 4th one matches. Yes, I'm anal.

Most people won't replace their steel skid if they already have one but if they're just beginning to armor up and they're looking at an aluminum TC skid and fuel tank skid they might as well buy an aluminum version of the steering box skid.
SpeedJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 11:00 PM   #195
MikeBK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ah crap, anyone want to buy a 1/4 steel UCF skidplate, never mounted, anyone?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.