so why is my defroster cracking my windshield? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > so why is my defroster cracking my windshield?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-28-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
the_art_of_desi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so why is my defroster cracking my windshield?

1997 tj

was chilly but not freezing yesterday but had defrost on 2 and after 15mins on the highway i get this crack from the bottom on the glass moving upwards and its probably 5" long in one day so far... is this common? nothing hit me, just all of a sudden i get a 3" long crack that is continuing to spread...

has this happened to you? Is it preventable (without stating dont use defrost)?

Thanks!

the_art_of_desi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2008, 06:30 AM   #2
gcfishguy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

See them sometimes in new vehicles...stress cracks.

This one would be something else. Take a ball point pen or something pointy and run it along the crack from the outside...it'll likely fetch up and you'll find a rock chip where the crack started from.
Has nothing to do with using the defrost. Well...the temperature change aggravated it, but I'm 100% sure that it started from an existing rock chip.

Happened to me in our old Chevy van... We moved along in traffic from a sunny spot to a shaded spot, cool day in the fall. A crack started and worked its way right from the bottom left corner all the way to the right side. Took about 5 seconds to work its way across.
gcfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2008, 06:35 AM   #3
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Likely the window was damaged on install. When you get it replaced have them check the frame in the area the crack started to make sure there is nothing there that will damage the new windshield.
Unread 11-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's a stress crack .. most probably caused by a stone chip at the bottom (see if you can see one).
I had one on my Durango .. started drivers side and went all across the glass to the passenger side. Funny thing was it swerved around my GPS that was stuck to the glass.
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
joe130
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think what you have is brittle fracture. It's likely everyone is correct. You might have a small imperfection in the glass.... from a rock chip or even one you couldn't see inside the weatherstripping. Once the heat from the defroster was applied it created a temperature difference across the glass from the inside (hot) to outside (cold). This difference in temperature causes a stress in the material. Along with the imperfection you must have had, it was enough to cause the glass to fail. It's like putting ice water into a wine glass that just came out of a hot dishwasher... it'll break almost every time. If you have a crack in your windshield, you can keep this from happening while you are getting ready to replace it by starting with the temperature at warm for a bit and then amping up to hot. Can't guarantee, but it should help out.
joe130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

mine did that too about 2 years ago. i was sitting in traffic with the defroster on and the heat all the way up and then POP!!! it sounded like someone had hit my windshield with a large rock but there was no one around me but cars. when i looked again there was a small crack near the center of the glass going straight up. it was slowly growing so i turned the defroster off and it stopped. by the end of the day sitting ing the sun it had grown the entire height of the windshield. i havent changed it in that entire time. no problems since.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #7
the_art_of_desi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for all the good advise everyone!

upon further inspection, the bottom rail of the windshield frame is starting to rust, which, probably cause the stress crack by warping the frame. More and more moisture is getting inside the frame and its starting to bow the bottom rail out. Grrr...

oh well, now i can justify replacing the window frame and glass with a good condition used unit

thanks again!
Brandon
the_art_of_desi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.