so what battery??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > so what battery???

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
adamhendrickson
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so what battery???

i like the sound of the Optimas but which top........when i upgrade i don't see spending money on anything but the best......which i have heard is optima...but i am willing to entertain any ideas of other brands being contenders

Black 97 w/ -- 2" procomp lift--33x12.50 D C Crushers on 15x10 Black ION wheels--Warn M8000 on AtoZ Fab plate--Xenon flat-style flares--Delta lights on the bumper, the windshield and the rollbar facing the rear--and the list grows daily!
adamhendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
Metzgerhund
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Go to Sears and buy the Diehard Platinum 34/78 battery. If you have ever heard of Odyssey batteries(which are top notch) the Sears Diehard Platinum's are made by the same company. The Odyssey model that is the same as the Sears is a PC1500. I have been very pleased with mine. Just seems to be to many sporadic problems with the Optimas.
Unread 01-16-2008, 09:12 PM   #3
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhendrickson
i like the sound of the Optimas but which top........when i upgrade i don't see spending money on anything but the best......which i have heard is optima...but i am willing to entertain any ideas of other brands being contenders
I run a Yellow top
Unread 01-16-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i plan on going with a odyssey battery when i upgrade mine

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1500ms.htm
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
chappy84
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do not run optima red top!!!! I ran two and both went bad, I changed to the yellow top and worked fine untill I sold my truck......I now go with sears.
Unread 01-17-2008, 01:04 AM   #6
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic TJ
I run a Yellow top
x2, I also run a yellow top. Yellow tops are deep cycle, great for heavy electical loads such as a winch that may drain down the battery. If you don't have heavy electrical loads that require deep cycle batteries, then go for the red top. I've run them in many cars for many years and never had one fail.

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 01:42 AM   #7
BS87
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ya know, my cherokee has some generic valucraft brand battery in it, and the thing has never died. I've left the lights on all night, and it was a slow crank, but it turned. And it's lived through jump starting atleast 20 different cars. I cant kill it.
BS87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 02:20 AM   #8
xxxflhrci

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS87
Ya know, my cherokee has some generic valucraft brand battery in it, and the thing has never died. I've left the lights on all night, and it was a slow crank, but it turned. And it's lived through jump starting atleast 20 different cars. I cant kill it.

Same here. I have a cheapo that has been in my YJ for 8 years and it's still going strong, even being used with a winch.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 06:24 AM   #9
Justin Brimm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The super cheap Autozone batteries used to be unkillable monsters; the Autozone battery my father's Comanche Eliminator survived (and is still going) after two years of being completely drained nearly every day (the crank sensor went bad and he was lazy enough that he would rather let it crank for minutes than just change it until the sensor finally died altogether one day).

Don't buy from them now though. I just had two of their batteries in a row die after just a few days use. I asked them about it and they said they changed companies; I don't remember who they said made the old ones, but the new ones cost twice as much, and the guy leveled with me that the new ones are from a no name chinese company and the shipping statements say that the store only pays a few dollars for each battery.
Justin Brimm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 06:43 AM   #10
VinoTJ
2008 JK Wrangler 

With a winch - you need a deep cycle battery.

I run the Optima Blue Top. Pretty much the same as the YellowTop, but with AUX posts on top.
Unread 01-17-2008, 07:35 AM   #11
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhendrickson

A person can call me crazy but all I run is deep cycle batts. In my tractors, mowers, truck, and jeeps. I live on a farm and when it's cold/hot you your battery gets tested. When the temp zaps the piss out of them you want a battery that can take the changes. I have found that only the deep cycle batterys can keep up with that. As stated above. With a winch a deep cycle is a must.

Todd
Unread 01-17-2008, 07:53 AM   #12
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic TJ
A person can call me crazy but all I run is deep cycle batts. In my tractors, mowers, truck, and jeeps. I live on a farm and when it's cold/hot you your battery gets tested. When the temp zaps the piss out of them you want a battery that can take the changes. I have found that only the deep cycle batterys can keep up with that. As stated above. With a winch a deep cycle is a must.

Todd
x2 i grew up in the boonies in southern michigan. we always ran Diehard's Gold's or deep cycles, although my factory battery is still working in my Jeep.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #13
BlueJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy84
Do not run optima red top!!!! I ran two and both went bad, I changed to the yellow top and worked fine untill I sold my truck......I now go with sears.
I got a red as a gift and kept it. Two years and no isues - love it?!
Unread 01-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Pure deep cycle batteries are not really good choices for our Jeeps, even those with winches. The batteries that we often call deep cycle, like the Optima Yellow Top, Optima D34M Blue Top, Odyssey PC1200 or PC1500, Exide Orbital, etc. are not a true deep cycle battery. They are really combination starting (SLI... starting, lights, ignition) and deep cycle batteries. The new Diehard Platinum is made by Odyssey so it is also a combo starting/deep cycle.

I sure can't recommend a pure deep cycle battery for a Jeep. They're not meant to be a daily starting (SLI) battery so they won't hold up as well as a combo starting-deep cycle battery like those mentioned above.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #15
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I will not be getting another optima battery. I Have a yellow top and it just costs too much. 2 other family members have TJ's one with a factory battery one with a cheapo battery. One of them has a winch like me one doesnt. I am the only one who has had battery problems.
The TJ with the factory battery would sit sometimes a month at a time on the Colorado/New Mexico border at my parents cabin. It would get very cold there and it is still starting and working like new. It is 5 years old now and has
a winch.
Anyways ill not be spending 175 dollars for a battery again.
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.