So Stupid (Lucky) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > So Stupid (Lucky)

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
jdemille
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So Stupid (Lucky)

My 05 jeep TJ just started making this horrible sound. I was convinced piston slap or lifter. I changed the oil and added MMO just hoping, No change.

Next Step Google - Change Jeep Lifter
Next Step Call machine shops for price of rebuild ($950)
Next Step Decide to take it down to one and bite the bullet.

I figure just drive it down because it cant get much worse right.

Well ....

I take it to work thinking ill stop by on the way home, On the way home in the poring rain. Then horrible metal shredding sound, Banging, and loss of power steering. Awesome!

Pull over - Popped the hood - broken serpentine belt and no automatic tension pulley. Pulled the remains of the belt from the fan. Started it up and she sounded fine.

Video of sound from before the belt broke.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIxw3...ature=youtu.be

Bad Belt and Automatic Tension repaired in 20 min cost $90 + Tow. Way better then I could have hopped for.

jdemille is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just remember that MMO is basically kerosene that thins out the motor oil, which is a bad thing.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Glad it was just the pulley.

JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.