so the sahara turned 30K autotrans oil change? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > so the sahara turned 30K autotrans oil change?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-26-2005, 12:28 AM   #1
zband
2003 TJ Wrangler 

so the sahara turned 30K autotrans oil change?

I would like to change the transmission oil in my 4 sp auto. I hear that you need a machine that the dealship has to do this - what kind of oil should I replace it with?

One last q- I think that they dont change the oil rather they put new oil in as the old old recycles- am I getting ripped off?

zband is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2005, 07:16 AM   #2
Hunter9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Opinions vary on the use of Transmission Flushing Machines, frequently used at dealerships and quick lubes. I guess I have always looked at it like changing your oil and not the oil filter .

I have always changed the tranmission filter and oil in all of my vehicles that had autos. I really do not want the junk in my trans pan flushed through the entire trans only to leave the old used (plugged) filter in there.

But, you know what they say about opinions.
RE 3.5 SF, 1" BL, 1" MML, 285/75/16 (33") MTRs, 16x8 MT Classic Locks, 4.10 gears, Lockrite Front, Warn Front and Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, Warn Diff Skids, Rock-it Man Rockers, Jeeperman Front Hoop, M8000, A to Z winch mount, Hella 500s, H4 Conversion

[COLOR="Red"]Former 3.07 Gears Club Member #1[/CENTER][/COLOR]
Hunter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2005, 07:21 AM   #3
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Mine's coming up on 30k. The dealer I deal with told me for the 30k service that they just drain the pan and change the filter and adjust the bands.
jim
Unread 07-26-2005, 01:03 PM   #4
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Supposedly just dropping the pan and draining the fluid only gets 60-65% of the old fluid out. The machines you can hook up to at the lube shops that flush the transmission fluid out (actually pump out the old fluid while adding new fluid) are said to replace 90-95% of the old fluid.

Having the bands adjusted might be a good idea. I'm going on 49,000 miles and I don't think mine have been adjusted. It's on my list of things to do.
Unread 07-26-2005, 02:26 PM   #5
zband
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The 4 speed auto in the 2003+ don't have bands.... any suggestions on trans oil. I would rather use something that is good....
zband is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2005, 03:02 PM   #6
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zband
The 4 speed auto in the 2003+ don't have bands.... any suggestions on trans oil. I would rather use something that is good....
well it's nice to know the service man knows nothing. I'll just be doing it myself.
Probably the best is to spring for the Mopar ATF-4 which is what it calls for. I don't know if there is anything else that meets the requirements for ATF-4. Of course this means getting stung real good.
Jim
Unread 07-26-2005, 04:42 PM   #7
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ha! I guess it's just the older 3 spd autos that have the bands, which I've heard need adjustment from time to time.

Apparently the ATF +4 was superceeded by ATF +5 which is now becoming more common. The higher the "+" number the more compatible it is (you can use a +4 in a +3 application but not the otheway around, for instance). Unfortunately, the +4 and +5 ATF is still new enough that you won't be finding it on the shelves of your local auto parts store. So it's a dealer only availability so far.

The good new: when I recently picked up the ATF+4 to top off my tranny the dealer ship was only charging $3.99 or $4.99 per quart. I figure that's pretty close to aftermarket prices that I don't feel I'm getting taken to the cleaners.
Unread 07-26-2005, 09:12 PM   #8
StealthTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisdog
Mine's coming up on 30k. The dealer I deal with told me for the 30k service that they just drain the pan and change the filter and adjust the bands.
jim

If that's truely what the dealer told you, I'd find another place to work on the Jeep.
The dealer is truely clueless.

Fred
[b]Misc[/b] - Tera 2wd lo.
[b]Tires[/b] - 35x12.50 MT/R's siped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
[b]Recovery[/b] - Warn XD9000i
StealthTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.