So how many gallons does my Jeep hold? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > So how many gallons does my Jeep hold?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-04-2006, 10:17 AM   #1
Achped
1985 CJ6 

So how many gallons does my Jeep hold?

I've got a 99 4cyl SE, owners manual says I have a 15 gallon tank....

Why did my Jeep take 18.36 gallons after driving about 15 miles after the light first turned on?

When topped off, my gauge is about 1/4" passed full and it doesn't even get to the full line until I've driven about 20-30 miles.

3.5 gallons is alot to have "in the lines" or "on the bottom of the tank".

Is it possible someone did the tank mod to my Jeep? I bought it from a chick, but the first owner did some mild offroading, it has nice Hella fogs, insanely backspaced rims, hooks, and a few other things.

However other times, it'll be a mile or two away from the light turning on and it'll take 14.5~ gallons.

Is there a way to know for sure how many gallons it holds? I don't wanna run it dry, but it'd be nice knowing how many gallons I have for off-road trips and such.

Achped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
Q-01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ive been curious about that too...I mean what the standard tank is supposed to be. Ive never been able to put more than 12 gal in mine after driving with the light on on EMPTY for quite a while...
Q-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #3
Masterchief

Mine always fluctuates like that too. Is it due to a vacuum leak or what? And it is a little bit scary when you go back to check on the pump and you've nearly put 20 gallons of gas in a 15 gallon tank. On long road trips I guess its kinda cool cuz you can last a little bit longer but it doesn't even make that much of a difference when you're getting 11 miles to the gallon.
Unread 02-04-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
tacjeep99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achped
I've got a 99 4cyl SE, owners manual says I have a 15 gallon tank....

Why did my Jeep take 18.36 gallons after driving about 15 miles after the light first turned on?

When topped off, my gauge is about 1/4" passed full and it doesn't even get to the full line until I've driven about 20-30 miles.

3.5 gallons is alot to have "in the lines" or "on the bottom of the tank".

Is it possible someone did the tank mod to my Jeep? I bought it from a chick, but the first owner did some mild offroading, it has nice Hella fogs, insanely backspaced rims, hooks, and a few other things.

However other times, it'll be a mile or two away from the light turning on and it'll take 14.5~ gallons.

Is there a way to know for sure how many gallons it holds? I don't wanna run it dry, but it'd be nice knowing how many gallons I have for off-road trips and such.
According to my 99 sales Brochure the 15 Gallon tank was standard on the SE and the 19 gallon tank was optional. I would say your Jeep was ordered with the 19 gallon tank instead of the standard tank.
tacjeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 01:00 PM   #5
bloke279

x2 on the 19 gallon tank.

Even though i have a completely different jeep, i run into the same problem... well, not really a problem though.

I have an 05 X, and it has the 19 gallon tank. After driving with the gas light on, for quite a while, i can only get 17 gallons in it. The manuel says that the light comes on when there is only 2 US gallons left in the tank. I dont get that good of gas mileage!
Magnaflow CAT Back Exhaust
285/75r/16 BFG A/T on rubi wheels
Clear marker lenses
JKS discos

[COLOR=Silver][B]Silver jeep club member #76[/B][/color]
bloke279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 01:20 PM   #6
jameskjeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 05 X also and it has a 19 gallon tank. How long can you last when the light comes on
1.25 JKS BL
2.5 OME HD Sup Lift 1 inch JKS MML 32" BFG MUDDS
MT Classic 2 15x8
jameskjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 02:09 PM   #7
joedirt88

If you contact Jeep.com and request a build sheet...its tells you everything you jeep came with.

http://www-5.jeep.com/wccsapp/univer...ull&category=U
joedirt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 04:03 PM   #8
bondo303

Sorry to hijack........My build sheet shows a 19 gallon tank but when I fill it, it never comes close to 19 gallons. Once I let it go down to "E" and when I filled it up, it only took 13.5 gallons which leads me to believe that I have a 15 gallon tank. Does anyone know where on the tank the part # is located and what the part # is for the 19 gallon tank.

Thanks......

-Bondo

48 CJ2A
bondo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 04:24 PM   #9
Wrangler-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacjeep99
According to my 99 sales Brochure the 15 Gallon tank was standard on the SE and the 19 gallon tank was optional. I would say your Jeep was ordered with the 19 gallon tank instead of the standard tank.
Probably got the 19 gallon tank. But the reason for the fluctuation in how much it holds, I think, is probably because of something simple like ... you went up a hill, and your gas level was read differently because the fluid shifted, so the light came on at that time. And I am pretty sure if that happened, when you evened out, your light wouldn't go off. Just an opinion, I know that's what happens in a car we have, and I'm not familiar with how the tank is read on the particular Jeep, but it's possible.
Wrangler-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 04:56 PM   #10
Nickb1907
2000 TJ Wrangler 

7 gallons of gasoline
Nickb1907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 04:58 PM   #11
Wrangler-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickb1907
7 gallons of gasoline
I agree.
Wrangler-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 05:45 PM   #12
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The easiest way to find out for sure is to check the part number on the side of the tank. I've lost my parts manual, so I can't give them to you. Try a search, I've posted them before.

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2006, 05:54 PM   #13
silver97tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

hi it is the same tank, other then a diffrent gauge/fuel sending unit for 19 gallon, you can make a 15 gal into 19 gal by taking out fuel tank and cutting fuel fill hose inside, the 15 gal goes deeper into tank, just have to use 15 gal gauge and remember or locate 19 gal gauge and use.............
Support our Troops!! Thank You!!!
silver97tj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.