So...how does an Aussie locker work? Any on-road issues? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > So...how does an Aussie locker work? Any on-road issues?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-27-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So...how does an Aussie locker work? Any on-road issues?

I can't believe I've missed out on these. I looked into them after I got pounced on for buying so many lights, which, with the money, people told me I could've locked my D30 for.

How do they work? This Jeep is my DD and I don't want any on-road issues, but at the same time, I don't want to spend 250 bones just to have a marginal effect offroad.

How do they lock and unlock? Are they (aside from a tad bit of noise) invisible on-road?

I looked at the install on 4x4xplor and its a no brainer install, but what about the effects of having one on?

Achped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
FlaJeepin
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Good question. I've been wondering the same thing.
FlaJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

They act the same as any other lunchbox locker on the road, you WILL notice it. In tight corners it clicks and clunks. When shifting it will sometimes grab and really pull the Jeep one way or the other. It will squeel the inside tire in a corner if taking it while on the gas. It's totally livable once you learn how to drive with it, but you will still know it is there.

If you want absolutly no on-road issues than a selectable locker is your only choice.
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
thefreak220

He is asking about the dana 30. You will NOT notice it in 2wd on the street except for some clicking when turning at low speeds. It will not grab you and jerk the jeep when you give it gas or make the tires squeel. Just get one and install it and be done with it. It makes a huge difference offroad.
thefreak220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2006, 11:57 AM   #5
jcd
2008 JK Wrangler 

Here's the detailed 'how it works' from Aussie.
Unread 05-27-2006, 12:03 PM   #6
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

It makes a huge difference off road. You will be able to crawl up things you would have never even tried before. It will be the best $250 you spend on the jeep. I can't comment for on road because I have locking hubs. I unlock when on road and nothing spins inside the front diff thus no difference from before.

Jeeps that I am currently parting out;
1994 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
1992 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
CjinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, I see it now. So it really does "lock" the front differential.

I understand...it allows one to go faster, but not one to go slower than the engine speed. So if you're turning the tires at say, 100 rpms and making a left turn, the left tire must stay at 300 rpms but the right tire can go faster to compensate for the longer distance traveled.

Offroad though, if you've got one tire up in the air it must go at least 100 rpms because that's what speed the engine is turning it at. Gotcha...
Achped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2006, 09:34 PM   #8
miguelitojeep97

best bang for your buck! i love mine. got me through the Rubicon and anything that gets in my way. love it!! just buy it and thank us later!
1997 TJ 4.0 5 spd. rock track 4:1, 3.5 inch Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k, D44/30 locked with 4:88s, Vanco BIG BRAKES!!and more...
miguelitojeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2006, 10:22 PM   #9
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak220
He is asking about the dana 30.

My retarded mistake. I didn't read it thouroghly and assumed rear axle. Whoops.....
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2006, 10:31 PM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I can't tell my front axle has a locker inside when I'm in 2wd. It's a Powertrax No-Slip and it doesn't click, make noise, or in any other way make its presence known in 2wd. That's no matter if my front manual hubs are locked or unlocked. If I forget to unlock my front hubs after wheeling, there's no clue to remind me to unlock them so I may accidentally drive around for weeks with them locked.

So there's no reason to fear a front locker in a TJ and you don't need manual hubs unless you want them for other reasons as I did. A Lockrite acts about the same too, and I would expect an Aussie to be on a par with the others too... unnoticeable.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.