Snow on soft-top - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Snow on soft-top

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-23-2007, 06:40 PM   #31
JeepnFish
2008 JK Wrangler 

When I first got a jeep in 04 I had an x-jeep owner tell me i better get a hardtop for winter because the soft top would stretch in one season.

Maybe he had one of the old tops but both the sailcloth tops i've had (on two Jeeps) since then have not stretched one bit and have held up to 8" (the most that's fallen since then) of snow like it was nothing.

Stock 32's on 17" Moabs
JeepnFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #32
Amadameus
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehdmc
Yeah Right!
If you belive that you may be interested in a bridge in Brooklyn that's for sale. Also I believe Autozone has a sale on muffler bearings.
I just wait till it stops snowing then go out in am and brush it off. Last year we had a big storm with blowing winds the snow covered the windshield, and blew inside through small openings where the top meets the door surrounds. I waited till it stopped snowing, went outside and brushed it off. No problems. I don't think you'll have any problems. I don't worry about it myself
Muffler bearings? Well I just topped off my blinker fluid, so I suppose I should go pick up a few of those as well...

Haha nice! I, personally, have had a foot of snow - the heavy, wet snow that sits like slush - on my ragtop and it's done nothing but pull the canvas tight, which isn't bad at all since it's only going to hold it on tighter. Once you get to a decent speed, something like 30, just give the ragtop a pound from the inside. It'll knock off just about anything.

If you're afraid of stretching your ragtop, then the problem is in your Courage Regulator, I think the valves are gummed shut. I recommend some heavy-duty offroading, that will help get the gunk off the valves. If you still don't have enough courage getting through the lines, I recommend going out and getting a few Windshield Cracks, Rust Spots, and a nice assortment of Dings and Scratches. Larger sizes are better. Those should get the C.R. back in working order - if not, the whole thing is pretty much shot and I recommend replacing the Jeep's owner. Much less messy than replacing the C.R. itself, which would require a scalpel.
Unread 02-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #33
MoJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Your soft top will be fine. My old TJ sat outside all the time in the snow. If there was something to worry about you would read all kinds of people complaining about how there top collapsed from the snow..Do a search and see how many you come up with. The thing I miss about my soft top is that you can clean it off from inside the jeep, just thump the top and snow falls off, thump the windows ice and snow comes right off I did this for 5yrs in my old TJ, now I have a hardtop so i gotta scrape.
My Jeep
MoJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #34
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

LJinDelaware, you live in Delaware. You will never get enough snow to worry about it.

Last edited by CNY; 02-02-2008 at 06:54 PM..
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #35
95mudman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

hmmmm lets solve this issue with a fast n easy answer! buy urself a piece of thin ply wood or even that fake *** wood paneling from the home depot that was famous in the 70s and put it on top of your jeep. you and a friend can easily remove this with the snow on it and or best of all you are now able to brush it off with out tearing holes in your top with a shovel broom or anything else ud prob use. your welcome!!!!
95mudman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #36
daggercrossover
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I live in the snow belt of Central NY and have had 2' of snow on my YJs soft top and had no problems.
daggercrossover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #37
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

It would be a cold day in hell that we ever get snow here in Pasadena, CA. But I sure would love to see some pictures of all you jeepers that live in snow country. How about a snow photo folks. Happy jeeping.

I like the paneling, formica idea
Unread 11-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #38
LaddieHanus
1997 TJ Wrangler 

dsc00404.jpg

The bump to the right center of the picture is my yj in a 60 inch snowstorm in March of 2003. The top did not stretch at all and I only replaced it last year. My TJ hardtop was not so lucky because it was off and sitting by the side of the garage. It cracked between the passenger door and the window.

Laddie Hanus
LaddieHanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #39
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lets look at this logically, what are the effects of cold weather to materials?

-Cold + Moisture = ice (snow) (stiffining)

-Cold + semi solid state objects such as plastics = Hardening (Soft top windows)

The softops made of sail cloth (cotton/ canvas right?), if frozen it could cause damage when moved/ manipulated as it would be stiff(cracking); Ie, heavy winds, highway driving, or if your looking for that topless jeep drive in the winter.

-Heat, heating the interior will cause the inside of the softop to thaw, and loosen, while the cold outside of it remains rigid. And this may cause cracks... same concept of rapid cooling or heating of cold / hot piece's of glass. (Take a glass cup out of the dishwasher and pour ice cold water into it, see what happens)

snow falling on it is more or less a slow accumulation and the snow itself shouldent cause much harm, its the cold that would do the most damage, especially in extreme cold temperatures
fang_x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #40
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This was last year in freaking Virginia Beach, VA:

Didn't damage the top one bit.

Now that I'm in Ohio, I foresee much more snow this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #41
Bishop Creek
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richd1963 View Post
It would be a cold day in hell that we ever get snow here in Pasadena, CA. But I sure would love to see some pictures of all you jeepers that live in snow country. How about a snow photo folks. Happy jeeping.

I like the paneling, formica idea
350 miles north of you:

a0jeepsnow.jpg

a0snowjeep.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.