Snow on soft-top - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Snow on soft-top

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-21-2007, 08:16 PM   #16
jake7893

I've had up to 4 inches on mine. I never clean it off. The first time I was scared, and I think it got stretched a little, but no biggie. I just drove with all of it on top and went over some big snow piles and stuff. Eventually it just fell off. Jeeps are TOUGH

ALL RESPONSES BY THIS USER ARE KNOWN TO CAUSE CANCER (ONLY BY THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA)

WARNING**
jake7893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2007, 08:27 PM   #17
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopThrillJoe
get in, start car, heater on high, 15min later cha ching!!!
Just don't put the air on the windshield. That's a good way to form a gigantic crack down the middle!
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2007, 08:40 PM   #18
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Let it collect, you'll be fine. Just dont bang your windows in the morning, they will shatter.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2007, 09:28 PM   #19
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02
Or maybe throw a tarp over it. Then in the AM peel the tarp off and let it thaw somewhere.
Uhmm, the weight would still be on the soft top if you throw a tarp over it.

My dad'd TJ is starting it's 7th Michigan winter. Always sets outside, only has a soft top. Never cleans it off till it's time to go some where, and I think he just lets the snow bounce off the top while driving down the road. No problems, even when there has been a foot and a half of wet heavy snow on there.

My soft top was never used by the previous owner and has not seen a winter with me yet. I swear it's more stretched and fits looser than my dad's.

So don't worry about the soft top and snow. It'll handle it just fine.

Quote:
Just don't put the air on the windshield. That's a good way to form a gigantic crack down the middle!
And how do you defrost your widnsheild then? It's not like the heat instantly comes out at 200ºF, it slowly heats up the windshield. To crack it you would literally need to pour a bucket of very hot water on a freezing cold windshield. I don't know what you have for winter, but in nothern Michigan (where I am from) you go start your car (or truck or Jeep), put the heat all the way up on defrost and let it thaw. Think if the hardtop or car rear windows with the defroster wires in the rear windows. They don't crack.
Sienna Jeep Club - Member #8
Plans and pics, put an 8" sub in your TJ center console
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 03:25 AM   #20
FuzzyDolly
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You'll be fine. I've had snow sitting on my soft top for hours, and no problems yet. Get yourself one of those extendable snow brushes to clean the top. They're about $10 and a great investment. Just remember not to brush the plastic windows.

2005 Solar Yellow X
2" Skyjacker BB - 31X10.5\15 Cooper STT
www.wnyoffroad.org
FuzzyDolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 06:12 AM   #21
PeteC
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Treat it like any other car. Only thing I would do differently is clear it if I get near a foot of snow on the top. Then again, I usually do that with all my cars anyway, just easier all around to remove a foot than 18". Not that we get that much snow at one time around here, but plenty up north.

As others have said, I have had 6-10 inches of heavy snow and have never had a problem. Granted I use my hard top for the winter months, there are plenty of times when the soft top sees snow.

Now, one thing here, I do clear me vehicles as much as possible when heading out. I do clear the top as much as I can. I don't know about you, but I have an issue with people who drive with a foot of snow on the roof. Especially if it flies off while on the highway and hits my windshield. Nice, quick white out. I just don't like to be one of those people if I can avoid it.
There is no Bandaid for Stupidity
Sorry if my support of legal wheeling offends you
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 04:14 PM   #22
LJinDelaware
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zworld
Get rid of your Jeep, you sir are a wuss, and not deserving of ownership!
Whatever....perhaps your mom has $600 bucks for new soft top for you, but not me.
LJinDelaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #23
TopThrillJoe
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
now how in the world would that happen
()_) ()_)=0=)_)
owner of a solid axle conversion kit
I spend most of my time here -->http://swmjeepers.com
TopThrillJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 06:43 PM   #24
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopThrillJoe
now how in the world would that happen
Either you are serious and asking a question, or know about this all too well.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 08:24 PM   #25
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinYahoo
Ihave had 24" of snow on mine with no trouble...just dont mess with the windows in the cold...I ripped my top a little doing that.
same here winter of 04, gota love cinci, was a wet snow to, and still no problem, ice helps btw makes it closer to hard top

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #26
Steelz19
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My old YJ went through 6 CNY winters amd my friends TJ has been through at least 5 no problems...we get in my home town on average of 132" a year...gotta love the lake effect snow
Unread 01-23-2007, 05:31 AM   #27
RMeak
1955 CJ5 

Your top will be fine. I live in a place where we get a few inches of snow and I do not waste my time brushing of the snow, I would be spending every free moment doing that. I just let mother nature or driving do the removal precess, sometimes the TJ sits for days without being used. As for the cracked windshield or plastic windows I personally have never had it happen, seen it and have only heard about it on this forum. I live in a place which winter last 9 months and honestly it even gets pretty cold at night in the summer too, far colder that most on this site would even complain about in there location in the winter, mid to low 40's. We have actually been in a heat wave for the last few days a high of 8 during the day. That being said I always preheat the Jeep with the defroster on...does my windshiled crack no. If it cracks there is probally already a crack in it.
Unread 01-23-2007, 05:35 AM   #28
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzntzhellfire
same here winter of 04, gota love cinci, was a wet snow to, and still no problem, ice helps btw makes it closer to hard top
bastard... an hour and a half from cinci and we just get a dusting

stupid kentucky

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 05:41 AM   #29
PeteC
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Another thought I had.

Jeep Engineering has quite a few Wrnaglers in thier fleet. Always do. Many of them are sof top and they do not all get driven everyday. Guess what, there is NO INDOOR PARKING STRUCTURE there. They all sit outside in the elements. They get all the snow and it stays. No problems.

And everybody that I know warms up thier cars, jeeps included, with the defroster on high. It is a gradual warm up that slowly heat the glass. I do have a crack in my windshield, but it is not from that. I have heard of this phenomenon though. When the windshield and the interior of the Jeep are cold and the Jeep is already up to running temp. Then the defrost is turned on high and the windshield gets an immediate blast of hot air.
There is no Bandaid for Stupidity
Sorry if my support of legal wheeling offends you
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 06:12 AM   #30
stathunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC
Another thought I had.

Jeep Engineering has quite a few Wrnaglers in thier fleet. Always do. Many of them are sof top and they do not all get driven everyday. Guess what, there is NO INDOOR PARKING STRUCTURE there. They all sit outside in the elements. They get all the snow and it stays. No problems.

And everybody that I know warms up thier cars, jeeps included, with the defroster on high. It is a gradual warm up that slowly heat the glass. I do have a crack in my windshield, but it is not from that. I have heard of this phenomenon though. When the windshield and the interior of the Jeep are cold and the Jeep is already up to running temp. Then the defrost is turned on high and the windshield gets an immediate blast of hot air.
I always run the defrost on high..........never had any cracks appear becasue of it. I think it might be due to the fact that the heat is gradual vs immediate blast like you mentioned.

2004 [B]Black X[/B] w/ RE LA 37" SSR's, etc etc [url]http://www.je-ep.com/[/url]

[COLOR="Blue"]In Michigan? Call Jim from [url]www.Jeepin-Customizing.com[/url][/COLOR]
"Do or do not, there is no try" Yoda
stathunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.