JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Snow on soft-top (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/snow-soft-top-364680/)

LJinDelaware 01-21-2007 06:57 PM

Snow on soft-top

How much is too much? I have an LJ, we are getting snow + ice tonight so I'm a little concerned. Went out and wiped all the snow off (2") in anticipation of the ice. I just don't want the weight to stretch it out.

Hydro 01-21-2007 07:01 PM

You shouldnt have to worry about it too much. With the rollbar and other mounting hardware helping to support the top it should be ok, but I could be wrong. Just dont try and scrape the ice and snow off, thats when the damage can happen.

-Mike

BlueFlame 01-21-2007 07:02 PM

Use a kitchen timer.
Set it for 60 minutes.
Every 60 minutes get up, suit up, go out and clean it off, come in, unsuit, go back to bed, reset timer.
You'll be fine. :cheers:

LJinDelaware 01-21-2007 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueFlame
Use a kitchen timer.
Set it for 60 minutes.
Every 60 minutes get up, suit up, go out and clean it off, come in, unsuit, go back to bed, reset timer.

Thats what I was afraid of.

leenmeenJEEPtj 01-21-2007 07:07 PM

4 wisconsin winters. Never cleaned any snow off. No problems. Thank You.

bobbert350 01-21-2007 07:08 PM

Quote:

Use a kitchen timer.
Set it for 60 minutes.

exactly what i did until i put my hardtop back on

JeepinYahoo 01-21-2007 07:09 PM

Ihave had 24" of snow on mine with no trouble...just dont mess with the windows in the cold...I ripped my top a little doing that.

Hydro 01-21-2007 07:10 PM

I live in northwestern pa, by the lake, and we typically get alot of snow here. Although its probably not as much as you get in Delaware, but I never really worried about it. I think it will be ok. :thumbsup:

-Mike

nicolas-eric 01-21-2007 07:18 PM

my old tj only haf a softtop. there was never a problem with snow. and i was in the alps for ski and snowboard driving very often.
if there was too much snow on my tj i brushed it away with a little hand-brush.

pete1182 01-21-2007 07:24 PM

no problem

Leave the snow on there and go wheeling in the snow it will come off.have fun in the snow,jeeps were made for it,dont worry about it:eek:

LJinDelaware 01-21-2007 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydro
I live in northwestern pa, by the lake, and we typically get alot of snow here. Although its probably not as much as you get in Delaware, but I never really worried about it. I think it will be ok. :thumbsup:

-Mike

:eyebulge: No way! We have'nt had any real snow in about 4 years, not to speak of anyway. NW, PA and lake effect snow I can only dream of :drool:

Grewe02 01-21-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbert350
exactly what i did until i put my hardtop back on

The YJ has totally different hardware than a TJ. They are nothing alike.

I would just suit up every now and again to brush off the snow. Just in case. Or maybe throw a tarp over it. Then in the AM peel the tarp off and let it thaw somewhere.

zworld 01-21-2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJinDelaware
How much is too much? I have an LJ, we are getting snow + ice tonight so I'm a little concerned. Went out and wiped all the snow off (2") in anticipation of the ice. I just don't want the weight to stretch it out.

Get rid of your Jeep, you sir are a wuss, and not deserving of ownership!

bluehdmc 01-21-2007 08:08 PM

:agree:

Quote:

Use a kitchen timer.
Set it for 60 minutes.

Yeah Right! :rofl:
If you belive that you may be interested in a bridge in Brooklyn that's for sale. Also I believe Autozone has a sale on muffler bearings.
I just wait till it stops snowing then go out in am and brush it off. Last year we had a big storm with blowing winds the snow covered the windshield, and blew inside through small openings where the top meets the door surrounds. I waited till it stopped snowing, went outside and brushed it off. No problems. I don't think you'll have any problems. I don't worry about it myself

TopThrillJoe 01-21-2007 08:13 PM

get in, start car, heater on high, 15min later cha ching!!!

The time now is 09:16 PM.