Snow plowing with a Wrangler? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Snow plowing with a Wrangler?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-14-2004, 10:20 PM   #1
MisterJeep

Snow plowing with a Wrangler?

Any and all information on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Plow types, lift setups, do's and dont's, etc, etc. Thanks.

MisterJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2004, 10:51 PM   #2
THEKNEEBITER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJeep
Any and all information on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Plow types, lift setups, do's and dont's, etc, etc. Thanks.
here you go. http://www.meyerproducts.com/product...?EquipmentID=3 it is suggested that you install air shocks in the front of your tj when using any plow.. this is the best one in my opinion. i have been looking at plows for over a year now for the tj.
THEKNEEBITER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2004, 08:38 AM   #3
SpitNine

Plows

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJeep
Fisher, Western and Myers are big plow names around her in fairly snowy northeastern PA. They all have websites.
However, I see very few Jeeps, and they tend to be old Gladiators, with a plow.
In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw a Wrangler with a plow. FWIW
Thanks.
SpitNine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2004, 12:51 PM   #4
GW

I have only seen 1 or 2 TJs with plows. How do you deal with the airbag sensors.
GW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2004, 01:02 PM   #5
Michele
1997 TJ Wrangler 

MisterJeep you'll get much more info about this at the plowsite.com. Do some searches there and you'll find a bunch of threads on the subject.
I'm a member over there and my Jeep is in this thread http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.p...threadid=12730

hth

My TJ at cardomain
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2004, 01:56 PM   #6
Poseidon17

My next-door neighbor has a plow on his Wrangler Sport, he sometimes does the bottom of our HUGE driveway. It's a steep hill, but he does a good job with it.
Unread 01-15-2004, 10:37 PM   #7
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon17
My next-door neighbor has a plow on his Wrangler Sport, he sometimes does the bottom of our HUGE driveway. It's a steep hill, but he does a good job with it.
Page 201 of the '04 owner's manual specifically says "Snow plows SHOULD NOT be added to the front end of your vehicle." (emphasis is theirs)
Why would DC take that position? Is this another 'litigation' thing, or is there an acutal mechanical reason?
Moon
'07 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD-da kid's ride
Goodbye Old Blue XJ; 10+yrs, 100K+ miles; virtually trouble free; Long may you run!
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2004, 05:51 AM   #8
Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
Page 201 of the '04 owner's manual specifically says "Snow plows SHOULD NOT be added to the front end of your vehicle." (emphasis is theirs)
Why would DC take that position? Is this another 'litigation' thing, or is there an acutal mechanical reason?
Moon
With a 70,000 mile power train warantee, I wouldn't want my customers plowing snow either. Plowing snow is tough on a vehicle. Even with big 3/4 ton trucks, I've heard people talk of the havock plowing can cause. If you were just doing it to clear your own driveway and maybe a neighbor or two, I wouldn't worry too much. But if you were going to hire out and do many driveways, things willprobably wear heavy and break.

Banks Stinger System - Cat Back
AC,Full Doors,7 Spkr w/ Sub,Deep Tint
Sienna Pearlcoat/Khaki Roof and Guts
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2004, 09:05 AM   #9
Michele
1997 TJ Wrangler 

plowing driveways

I can't answer the reason why it would say such a thing in the 04 owners manual. TJ's are great vehicles for driveway plowing, properly equipped with the right size plow.

I've been plowing up to 40 driveways per storm with my CJ's and TJ for 15 years now and honestly have not broken, or prematurely worn anything directly due to plowing. It's all in how you treat your vehicle. Whether it be rock crawling or snowplowing, if you beat the living crap out of it, things are going to break. It is best to put Timbrens in the front coils to compensate for the weight of the plow to keep it from making the front end dip.
As I mentioned, the original poster should do some research on the plowsite.com where there is a group of people such as myself who actively plow with their TJ's.

Michele

My TJ at cardomain
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2004, 09:55 AM   #10
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
I can't answer the reason why it would say such a thing in the 04 owners manual. TJ's are great vehicles for driveway plowing, properly equipped with the right size plow.

I've been plowing up to 40 driveways per storm with my CJ's and TJ for 15 years now and honestly have not broken, or prematurely worn anything directly due to plowing. It's all in how you treat your vehicle. Whether it be rock crawling or snowplowing, if you beat the living crap out of it, things are going to break. It is best to put Timbrens in the front coils to compensate for the weight of the plow to keep it from making the front end dip.
As I mentioned, the original poster should do some research on the plowsite.com where there is a group of people such as myself who actively plow with their TJ's.

Michele
That's what I couldn't figure out; Jeeps, with their short wheelbase, weight, and 'grunt' should make great plow trucks, especially in places that require short turns.
How does yours handle with, what, 300lbs, hung way out front? I am suspicious that handling is the reason for DC's position; another "It's a lawyer thing; you wouldn't understand"; have to dig out the Chrokee's owners manual and see if they say anything in there.
Thanks,
Moon
'07 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD-da kid's ride
Goodbye Old Blue XJ; 10+yrs, 100K+ miles; virtually trouble free; Long may you run!
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2004, 10:41 AM   #11
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW
I have only seen 1 or 2 TJs with plows. How do you deal with the airbag sensors.
You wouldn't have to since the sensor is ontop of the hump in the floor below the dash.

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2004, 11:09 AM   #12
penberth
2011 JK Wrangler 

Meyer plows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEKNEEBITER
here you go. http://www.meyerproducts.com/product...?EquipmentID=3 it is suggested that you install air shocks in the front of your tj when using any plow.. this is the best one in my opinion. i have been looking at plows for over a year now for the tj.

There is also the Meyer Max plow, which is made out of Polyethylene. One advantage of this is it won't rust. It also comes in a 6.5' version:
http://www.meyerproducts.com/product...EquipmentID=16
I have this on my 2000 Cherokee and it works great.

One other brand to check out is Blizzard. They make a 6.8' plow that is fairly lightweight and seems to have a good construction.

I agree with Mechele, check out www.plowsite.com, there is a ton of discussion on Jeeps with plows.
penberth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2004, 03:28 PM   #13
AudioGuru

A local car dealership complex uses a fleet of YJ Wranglers as their plow vehicles. The facilities manager says they like the Wrangler due to the tight turning radius. Due to the short wheelbase, he says they have to use some significant counter weight in the rear. Otherwise, he reports no problems with wrangler plowing. They aren't a Jeep or DC dealership. Holmes(of Clive, IA) sells Honda, GMC, formerly Olds, and various used makes, but he says the Jeep is the best plow vehicle they've ever had.

[COLOR=White]Don't lie. God said so.[/COLOR]
AudioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2004, 05:07 PM   #14
joyrider

my grampa plows w/ his jeep. It's like an old "willys" jeep or something. It's from like the 40's. He uses it just for plowing. I don't think theres anything special done to it.
Unread 01-17-2004, 08:19 PM   #15
BisleyHawk

I work for a company that's also a Fisher distributor. We install 4 - 5 Wrangler setups each year. That's actually a lot for that vehicle. You will need a boost up front but DC no longer has the air shocks that were approved for the plows. Now an air bag within the coil spring is used. Fisher and western are both owned by the same parent comapny but thier designs are different. I've seen a number of designs but still prefer the Fisher (not biased simply becaue of my work either) One importnat thing pople foget is that they cannot abuse the vehicle just bcause it has the plow on it. lso, it's a SNOW plow not a dirt grader! (A lot forget this) The Fisher series for the Wrangler is the LD series and it accepts a 6'9" blade (steel) and comes with a polymer cutting edge. The whole assembly weighs in at around 450lbs if I remember corrctly. they're avail in Minute Mount 1 and Minute Mount 2 applications. It's actually a pretty simple instal so save the $ and install it yourself.
Whatever brand you decide on, maintance is a good thing. Change the fluids annually and keep the connection covered in dialectric grease.
BisleyHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.