snow plowing with a jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > snow plowing with a jeep

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 11-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
riseascape
2005 TJ Wrangler 

snow plowing with a jeep

it's that time of year again. my landscape comp has a handfull of plow contracts. we currently use large super duty pick up trucs and a skid steer to handle the job however last year we picked up two very tight parking lots and are haveing a hard time with our current set ups. customers are complaining and we are doing tooo much hand shoveling. i am thinking about putting the lightest semi-commercial duty plow on my 2005 wrangler to tackle these two small accounts and to support the other trucks in other tight areas (drive thru @ dunkin). anyone else plow with their wrangler. if so what plow do you use and are you seeing any problems with your jeep.

riseascape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I know there are a few Canadians that have them on TJ's so looking at posts from them might help.

Plows are heavy, TJ's are small and light. Plows kill Jeeps. Any and all warranty is void with plow use.

That over with now.... the factory steering and suspension is not great setup for plow use on a TJ. It's pretty small stuff and having coils with 4 link is not going to be as rigid as say a leaf spring set up on a YJ or CJ long term with seasonal plow use.

For the wear and tear you would put on your TJ, I personally would rather put time and money into a YJ if I was going to use a plow seasonally. I know guys that plowed with YJ's and CJ's until they rusted apart, but I don't see very many TJ's with plows nowadays.
Unread 11-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
TJW909
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check out this thread for some ideas the yellow rubi with the air bags seems to work well.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/he...owplow-888734/
TJW909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would look for a cheap YJ to do this with, the TJ was just not designed for plow. You may also want to look at a bobcat that's what they use here in tight places and would be way more useful than a TJ, for the rest of the year. The coils, steering, and front axles are just not a good set-up for a plow. You could plow with your TJ but be prepared to dump a bunch of money into so that you don't wreck, this would include, air bags, steering upgrade, and probably a stronger front axle.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
JDEEEWP
2001 TJ Wrangler 

pretty sure skid steer = bobcat
Unread 11-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
Dutra177
2006 TJ Wrangler 

ATV's with a plow is good, my brother in law as one and it does the job
Tri-City Jeep Club Member #68
2006 Jeep TJ Rubicon
We're gonna make Jeepers out of you!
Dutra177 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
TheHeretic
Kool Kat 4x4

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I made the mistake of putting a 7'-6" plow blade on a Dodge Ram 1500. It was only for plowing my own business lot. We get a LOT of snow where I work and live, so perhaps this doesn't apply to you, but after two winters with the Ram 1500, which was an '07 it was shot. Several front end components were changed because of the plow. A Jeep is not nearly as beefy as a Ram, though I don't think you would put a 7' blade on a Jeep.

The only True Professional Mechanic in the Greater Toronto Area for Modified Jeeps, and trucks. If Rock Spyder hasn't seen it before, or done it before, you don't need it.

http://rockspyder4x4.com

http://koolkat4x4.org
TheHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseascape View Post
it's that time of year again. my landscape comp has a handfull of plow contracts. we currently use large super duty pick up trucs and a skid steer to handle the job however last year we picked up two very tight parking lots and are haveing a hard time with our current set ups. customers are complaining and we are doing tooo much hand shoveling. i am thinking about putting the lightest semi-commercial duty plow on my 2005 wrangler to tackle these two small accounts and to support the other trucks in other tight areas (drive thru @ dunkin). anyone else plow with their wrangler. if so what plow do you use and are you seeing any problems with your jeep.
Customers are complaining because you are shoveling snow by hand? Sheesh. You're the one shoveling it, not them. Why should they care if you're breaking your back?

There was an XJ snow plow option years ago. Don't recall all details, but had heavier front springs, shocks, and cooling system. It also had some type mounts on front bumper for a plow blade. Clevis mounts maybe?

I think an XJ or LJ could be a good small plow. An LJ Rubi would be an ideal small plow (HD front and rear axle). The XJ and LJ have a longer wheel base than a TJ, making them the better candidates. The LJ Rubi is heavier than XJ (by about 1000 lbs) making it a bigger bully to push snow, plus the heavier duty axles, yet it's overall length and width is same as an XJ.

I do not think a TJ would be suitable for a front mounted plow (since short wheel base, already front heavy and butt-light).

However, any model of Jeep can pull a plow. Though the heavier the Jeep, the easier/better it can pull (hence the LJ Rubi is good because heavy, yet small dimensions). i.e. - tow a rear mounted plow that you hook to clevis mounts on rear bumper. It did that before and it worked great for clearing a parking lot. Also, no need to modify your Jeep, except that you need clevis mounts on rear bumper. I just used the rear receiver (since I don't have clevis mounts), but using a clevis mount on each side would work better.

Pull a (wood) 4x4 with weights mounted on it, or use your imagination when making a towable plow. If you angle it (longer chain or tow strap on one side than the other), you can direct the snow to the long side.

Last edited by CB3; 11-08-2009 at 07:22 PM..
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You might also just get a small 4 wheel drive tractor (like a John Deere for example) and plow with that. It could also scoop and dump the snow.
Unread 11-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
TheHeretic
Kool Kat 4x4

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
You might also just get a small 4 wheel drive tractor (like a John Deere for example) and plow with that. It could also scoop and dump the snow.

That is a far better solution, although it means towing the thing, unless your contracts are reasonable close to your shop.

The only True Professional Mechanic in the Greater Toronto Area for Modified Jeeps, and trucks. If Rock Spyder hasn't seen it before, or done it before, you don't need it.

http://rockspyder4x4.com

http://koolkat4x4.org
TheHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The small tractor is a better, but more expensive solution.

A cheap (and fun) solution would be to make a towable plow for the TJ and two it behind it. That won't hurt the TJ a bit, wouldn't cost much money to setup.
Unread 11-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
Vandano
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with the bobcat option. Snow is very light compared to the materials that those machines are designed to carry. You could get a used one possibly for a reasonable price and it would be much more versatile then a TJ with a plow.
Vandano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #13
thickone

2005 TJ Wrangler 

try looking @ Fisher snow homesteader..Homesteader Personal Plow | by fisher - Home
Unread 11-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #14
riseascape
2005 TJ Wrangler 

thanks everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerd View Post

That is a far better solution, although it means towing the thing, unless your contracts are reasonable close to your shop.
already thought about that. we have some smaller tractors. but do not have cab enclosure and for sure operators would complain about cold fingers. also i am told that towing a trailer in a snow storm is illeagal and since we would have to move the machine from site to site during the storm i would be sticking my neck out. finnaly although the sites are small they might be too big for tractors since they can only push and scoop snow not plow. whew too much to think about and snow is almost here! i have seen some older jeeps with older plows on them driving around town. think i going to track one of those guys down and interigate them on their adventures. please keep giving ideas and i let you know what i do...
riseascape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #15
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseascape View Post
already thought about that. we have some smaller tractors. but do not have cab enclosure and for sure operators would complain about cold fingers. also i am told that towing a trailer in a snow storm is illeagal and since we would have to move the machine from site to site during the storm i would be sticking my neck out. finnaly although the sites are small they might be too big for tractors since they can only push and scoop snow not plow. whew too much to think about and snow is almost here! i have seen some older jeeps with older plows on them driving around town. think i going to track one of those guys down and interigate them on their adventures. please keep giving ideas and i let you know what i do...
Colder fingers in an open cab vs shoveling with cold fingers? I'd take the open cab. Wear a snow mobile suit and artic gloves and boots. Problem solved with the tractor you already own, if you can drive it from site to site. I suppose the tractors don't drive on highway fast enough?

Perhaps you can buy one of those older Jeeps that's already setup?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.