Snow Chains Prohibited on a Sahara? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Snow Chains Prohibited on a Sahara?

Jeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 12-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
stedwest
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Snow Chains Prohibited on a Sahara?

My father picked up an '02 Sahara this year, and with winter upon us, he decided to look into snow chains. The vehicle manual says however, that snow chains are not recomended, specifically for Sahara's.

It has the standard NV-231 transfer case, not some fancy AWD system... so I'm guessing this is because of the larger fender flairs? Any other ideas?

Unread 12-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

alot of manuals dont recommend them. they have a tendency to come off and wrap about the axle. if a link breaks the chain just whips around tearing up the wheel wells
Unread 12-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
JeepNE
1999 TJ Wrangler 

but why only Saharas and not all jeeps in general?
JeepNE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting? Why just the Saharas, they just have painted flares and alloy wheels.
wushaw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Where the Girls Dance Different With Familiar Grace
Yeah, the manual for my '01 Sahara says the same thing.

It also says (paraphrased): to use chains only on P205/75R15 or P215/75R15 tires. Larger tires do not have adequate clearance between the tire and flare.

I know Saharas came equipped with one of two tire sizes: 30X9.5-15 or P225/75R15 , so the 'Sahara Chain Restriction' seems to be based on tire size. (Back before the Rubicon, the Sahara was the high-end TJ with bigger tires than the other TJ models.)
Unread 12-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

there really is no difference that would have an effect that would matter about chains vs cables. atleast none i could think of. do sahara's come stock with limited slip? that might be the reason
Unread 12-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinjeeper View Post
do sahara's come stock with limited slip? that might be the reason
Not stock. D44's were an option, though.
Unread 12-12-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

well, since it was the upgraded version of the jeep. and now the rubicon is...so does the rubi say the same thing since they are running larger tires?
Unread 12-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Dunno. Does a Rubi have taller springs than a Sahara? They may have more clearance, Clarence.

Last edited by SpaceWrangler; 12-12-2009 at 07:40 PM..
SpaceWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
iceman8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep and other Mfr's do not recomment tire chains mostly because people will not install them properly or do not know how...and/or drive too fast after installation=chains come loose and damage the vehicle. Add the fact that many folks have the wrong size chains for thier tires to begin with...and the tolerance stack-up of it all can make for a real bad day. I cannot imagine chaining up unless I was plowing with a big truck, driving the Haul Road to Prudoe Bay in winter, etc. No thanks.
iceman8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman8 View Post
driving the Haul Road to Prudoe Bay
I did that once. On a motorcycle.

Quote:
in winter.
Oh. Nevermind.
Unread 12-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #12
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Its a clearance issue. As long as you use good chains and have enough clearance in the the wheel wells you will be fine. Limited slip and lockers have nothing to do with it, we run chains on Jeeps will lockers and LSD all the time.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #13
shotgunsmith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Most of the owners manuals are written by lawyers try to avoid suits filed due to lack of common sense. Put the chains on, check the clearence. if it flies your good. I'm running 33-9.50 on stock wheels with 2" lift and I use chains because nothing is cooler then the crazy tration chains provide.
Unread 12-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #14
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_Brown View Post
Its a clearance issue. As long as you use good chains and have enough clearance in the the wheel wells you will be fine. Limited slip and lockers have nothing to do with it, we run chains on Jeeps will lockers and LSD all the time.
on trails or paved roads. i would that it would be hard on the front locker to have the chains dig through the ice onto the pavement.
Unread 12-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #15
iceman8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah! All the last few posts are right on. AND...don't drive over about 30 mph (I say that because there is a high likelyhood of the chains getting loose...it will happen and the fact they are likely imported/cheap, don't help the matter). You'll be fine. I suspect however, that after your first install of a full set of chains, if you've not done it, then the experience of driving on same...and you'll be about done with all that. Of course there are some who need the traction and will go through the ordeal. Been there, done that. No more. I'll wait til' it warms up a bit!
iceman8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.