Snow and Chains - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Snow and Chains

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-16-2003, 12:31 PM   #1
SpitNine

Snow and Chains

FWIW

Had a chance to try my completely stock 2003 SE 5-speed in about a foot of old snow that nobody had driven in before.
Tires are stock Wrangler RT/S in 215/75-15.
Chains are RUD 4x4. These chains are very easy to install and slightly less easy to remove. They are a little pricey at $140.00 USD per set.
First tried using only 4WD Low and no chains.
Rough going. Could only go about four or five feet then wheels would start spinning and axles hopped up and down violently.
Had to back up and plow forward repeatedly. This was hard on the Jeep.
Second try was with chains mounted on REAR wheels. A little better but still had to back up and plow forward some. Not quite so hard on the Jeep.
Third try was with chains on the FRONT wheels. Major improvement. NO backing up and no axle hopping. Much easier on the Jeep.
I'm going to buy another set of chains.
I think a TrueTrac LSD in the rear axle would help a lot too.
Like I said, for what it's worth.
Thanks.

SpitNine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2003, 03:41 PM   #2
Weelspin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

OK.... now that is a new one on me. I have never used chains... ever. Not once. And I drove a Mustang, Probe, Avenger and various other sports cars in ALASKA! I have driven a 1987 Mustang through 3 mountain ranges in 2+ FEET of snow.... while it was still falling.... and broke trail! The first Jeep I had was a 1980 FSJ and I had to plow through 4 feet, with it going over my hood on the drifts. I'm not saying you can't drive, but consider either using 4 high alone or better tires. Chains and cables have the problem of tearing up roads once you do get back on the dry stuff and the vibration causes more harm than good.... the hopping you referred to may have been the wheels being over powered. Try the test again, but don't apply as much throttle. Just my input....

1998 Wrangler
Sahara Package
2.5" Suspension Lift
Weelspin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2003, 05:07 PM   #3
K9JEEP
Registered Abuser

Re: Snow and Chains

Quote:
Originally posted by SpitNine
FWIW
Like I said, for what it's worth.
Thanks.
At 140ea, it'd be worth the money money to ditch the chains and upgrade the tires into something better like a set of BFG Muds.
Unread 02-16-2003, 08:55 PM   #4
SpitNine

Tires

Better yet, for $140.00 I can buy that '87 Mustang!
Thanks.
Unread 02-16-2003, 09:15 PM   #5
OverTheHandlebars

I have found that the goodyear wranglers handle terribly in the snow....
[url=http://mrpistol.tripod.com/id2.html]here[/url]
OverTheHandlebars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2003, 10:04 PM   #6
SpitNine

Wranglers

I can agree with that. Everything I've read says the Wranglers really aren't that good in snow, or mud or anything else for that matter.
However a new set of four real snow tires just isn't in the budget for now. I'm thinking the chains will be a reasonable compromise. Thanks.
Unread 02-16-2003, 11:34 PM   #7
OverTheHandlebars

I hear ya, i'll be riding on my wranglers until next fall at least....
anyways, slipping and sliding in the snow is a bit of an art form to me now
[url=http://mrpistol.tripod.com/id2.html]here[/url]
OverTheHandlebars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2003, 08:02 AM   #8
GW

Snow tires make a little difference, but not that much

I replaced my GSA's and put a set of Bridgestone winter duelers on my wrangler and it didn't improve all that much. Jeep still slides around in snow, even in 4wd. Problem must be the really short wheel base. I was pretty surprised how poor a wrangler is on snow covered roads.
GW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2003, 08:26 AM   #9
Owen

I just drove to work in over a foot of snow...30 miles...I have 35" BFG A/T and they are awesome in the snow (No Chains). I am officailly convinced that nothing can stop that Jeep. Aside from maybe an attack of locusts...I can't even tell you how many 2wd cars I passed spun out. I pulled one guy out of a drift with my tow strap (First victim I saw). I give one helping hand per day. The only cars that were actually moving were two Jeeps and one suburban (Going Very sLow)...
Unread 02-17-2003, 08:37 AM   #10
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Right after I got my TJ back in late '99 we had a pretty good snow season. The next day it snowed the first time that year.. Anyways, out by my house is a road that isn't traveled much so the plows don't care about it. It is also very flat back there and snow drifts alot. I remember pushing my bone stock 30" GSA wrangler thru snow that was so deep that it was rolling up against the windshield. It kept right on pushing thru. Granted it was the light fluffy stuff but it was still over 4' deep. I didn't have any chains, nothing, bone stock in 4Hi. Jeeps amaze me with what they can go thru. I haven't been stuck yet. (knock knock) but I'm sure one day I will find the limits. More than likely after I find a place here in Iowa that you can stick a Jeep. Now I have 32" BFG ATKO's and like them much more, drove thru a foot and a half of snow and it felt like I was on pavement. Didn't even slow me down. Still no chains.

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.