Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Snorkel issues!

2K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  HINKLEY 
#1 ·
Was in the process of building, well installing a snorkel kit but ran into an issue... The alternator got my way look!

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Synthetic rubber

So I don't wanna run it like that because im 99% sure it will cut through it sooner than later so any suggestions? PVC 90 degree with tons of PVC glue to prevent leakage? What do y'all think will work

Sent from iPhone using JeepForum

See less See more
#3 ·
It's not plastic, it's metal.

I'm pretty sure mine touches the side of the alternator too. As long as there's no chance of it touching the belt or pulley it'll be fine.

#5 ·
I was gunna cut like 2 inchs and out a 45 or 90 degree elbow to lay it up on where the ac compressor should be? Do you think that would be smart or just trying sending it right through their, I just don't want it to cut through or something

#7 ·
You can get the tube through there. That's the vacuum canister. I put a piece of aluminum angle down the edge of the canister with some epoxy to keep the snorkel tube from pushing the vacuum tube elbow off of it's fitting.

#8 ·
Ok so just squeeze it through the top section, and don't let the hole get covered... What's the easiest way to not screw up cutting the hole. This is the nerve racking part one of the last things I'm waiting on...

#12 ·
Now that ya say that they didn't but I just ran a T off the intake manifold and to the vent cause they weren't working, so I kinda overided that box then... I'm very nervous doing this snorkel, I might have someone do it because I'm little scared lol, the whole mounting and cuttin the hole is what scares me

Sent from America

#15 ·
They are telling you how to properly fix the vacuum system on your Jeep so your vents work properly. That is a sort of vacuum accumulator. Of course vacuum is pulled from the intake manifold, but what happens when the engine is ran wide open throttle? No more vacuum so now your vents default. That accumulator will hold a vacuum during those times.

I would suggest you properly fix the hoses and use it as Jeep intended. Otherwise if you insist on bypassing the vacuum accumulator, then just remove it entirely. You've already defeated the purpose, said you're not going to bother with it and now fussing over lack of space. Remove it and there's your space.

#19 ·
The top bracket is no right or something because I can't take the indow off or door unless I unbolt the top
Nothing wrong, Hink. That's just the way it is.

#21 ·
BTW, your scoop's not on all the way. If you positioned things correctly, the top of it should be about even with the roofline and having it further on the main body will let it separate water (rain, splashes, etc.) from the intake air.

#22 ·
flying_bosun said:
BTW, your scoop's not on all the way. If you positioned things correctly, the top of it should be about even with the roofline and having it further on the main body will let it separate water (rain, splashes, etc.) from the intake air.
I've loosened it and pushed it down as far as it goes and it doesn't go lower but I could file it a little to get it lower

Sent from America

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.