Snorkel: Build or buy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Snorkel: Build or buy

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 08-29-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Snorkel: Build or buy

First, yes I know a snorkel isn't the only thing needed to keep a Jeep water tight but I'm not buying it so I can drive through 3 feet of water I'm buying it in case I drive through three feet of water. It's my insurance policy I rather have to replace my fluids and have screwy electronics than buy a new engine. I digress...

So I'm getting a snorkel in one form or another and all along I thought I would just buy one but $350 for a few plastic pieces is pretty ridiculous. I've seen some nice "hummer style" cowl builds on here but I don't think I have the balls to take a hole saw to my firewall with no written instructions so I know I'm doing it right.

Question is; should I just drop the money and buy one, or can anyone direct me to the best DIY writeup that I don't need any hard to find materials for or is there an alternative method I haven't thought about?

Brian86992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
Doogie1022
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think if you have the skills building your own is always the better way to go. You usually save some coin, and it's definitely more rewarding bolting something onto your rig that you fab'd yourself.

Hummer Style intake

Uses same write up as above but with some different mods.

Have fun!
Doogie1022 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Richisinyoface
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Do a search on Ebay for jeep snorkels, there are some diy plans on there

NRA Life member

Sienna Jeep club member #65
Richisinyoface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie1022 View Post
I think if you have the skills building your own is always the better way to go. You usually save some coin, and it's definitely more rewarding bolting something onto your rig that you fab'd yourself.

Hummer Style intake

Uses same write up as above but with some different mods.

Have fun!
I've combed through these multiple times already haha just not sure if I actually want to drop the hammer and do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richisinyoface View Post
Do a search on Ebay for jeep snorkels, there are some diy plans on there
Good thought I'll give that a try.
Unread 08-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I like the Hummer style ones you were talking about, i think if i was looking for a snorkle that would be my choice

Believe.
Jeepzcb09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

I love my ARB. More protection than you're going to get from a low Hummer snorkel, and aesthetically pleasing too. I've never seen a home made top of the windshield snorkel that I liked the look of.

Some people are purely about function and don't worry about the looks... personally I like to build a vehicle that performs great and looks great at the same time.

And yes it does get wet over here

Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 04:48 AM   #7
snowrydr01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

buy

ive never seen a DIY one not look like a DIY one. Those pvc pipe joints are usually big and ugly.

on the other hand if its just insurance you might want to look into relocating it into the cowl? It gets it out of the engine bay and water is rarely over hood height
snowrydr01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 06:10 AM   #8
Tick
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would like to build a snorkel like this one:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...norkel-810246/

This one is nice as well:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...w-pics-794294/
Tick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #9
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

While on google, if anyone wants a laugh:

Mazda Miata drivers can't quite grasp the concept of a snorkel
Unread 08-30-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
Barker540

I personally feel that if it were up to me I would just save up my pennies and buy one. They look a lot nicer then a home build, and if it's basically just on there for looks then you want it to look good.
Barker540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
snorkel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.