Snapped a transmission mount bolt on T-Case skid plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Snapped a transmission mount bolt on T-Case skid plate

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 04-05-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
blueteej

Snapped a transmission mount bolt on T-Case skid plate

While installing a transfer case drop I snapped one of the four transmission mounting bolts.

So ... now what?

Can it be driven like this?

How do I pull the broken bolt out and to replace it? The head cleanly snapped off.

Out of curiosity - and if you have a minute to read on, how critical was it to loosen these bolts when doing a TC drop? I bought a Skyjacker t-case drop kit (which I do not recommend) and their instructions don't mention loosening the four transmission bolts while dropping the t-case. The t-case drop written in 4x4xplor http://www.4x4xplor.com/t-casedrop.html states to loosen them first and then tighten them as a final step.

Who is right? After having it installed for about a week I went back into it tonight as strange thumping develop under my foot while driving - I could feel it hard when driving 30 or less over minor road bumps. Figured something had to be loose which is why I started checking everything tonight and snapped the bolt.

And while I'm on the topic of conflicting info ... Skyjacker says to torque their six skid plate bolts down to 75-80 ft lbs. Two of the six stripped before getting to this level. As they were around 55 to 60, I left them in until tonight. I pulled them and replaced them with grade 8 hex bolts and torqued them to 55 ft lb per 4x4xplor.com. Again, which is the right spec? 75 ft lbs or 55?

Unread 04-05-2007, 11:56 PM   #2
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It is a good idea to loosen them before dropping the skid to lower the t-case. It will eliminate any stress on the transmission mount.

You should be ok with 3 bolts, but if you want to replace it, you are going to have to support the transmission and then drop your t-case skid plate to get to the mount.

Off the top of my head, 55-60 ft/lbs sounds about right for the t-case skid plate bolts.

The clunking you are experiencing is most likely your t-case linkage that is contorted since your t-case drop. To correct it, I suggest installing an Advance Adapters re-location bracket.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2007, 06:19 AM   #3
blueteej

Thanks Rocky. Nice rig by the way.

Anyone else with an opinion on how critical this fourth bolt is and ways to replace it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.