Smittybilt Front Bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Smittybilt Front Bumper

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
odwaud
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Smittybilt Front Bumper

Hi everyone I'm new year and I just got my wrangler last november. I am looking for a new bumper for it because i have already hit a deer a cracked a fender flare and blinker cover. I'm looking for more protection to the front of my jeep. Does anyone know anything about this bumper http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...3&partID=10519 or have know of any good quality bumpers? Thanks in advance

odwaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
claytonandson
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

this what i got......home fabbed.got rid of that jaffy kc lightbar. total cost,
$125.00 and 5 hrs.by the way,olympic makes a nice slider for about $259.00 + 20 s/h @
http://www.4wheelparts.com/proddetai...rtNo=OLY172124

it doesnt include that doofy looking hoop over the hood.its a nice bumper,inexpensive,strong and best of all light.....unlike the heavier one i have.i just ordered this one for my TJ and going to put the one in the picture on my f-150 pre-runner.
last-jeep-001.jpg  
yellow jeep club #343
IAFF /FF's OF WASH. D.C. EMERALD SOCIETY/CHARLES COUNTY RESCUE SQUAD 51

Last edited by claytonandson; 02-22-2008 at 02:11 PM..
claytonandson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
TOP HVY
1998 TJ Wrangler 

There's a few recent threads floating around here about that bumper. Quite a few members have them. I bought the front and rear, just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit to install them.

_______
--(O|||||||O)--

White Jeep Club Member #93
TOP HVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
claytonandson
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

yeah,you cant beat the price for what you get.it looks to me like it wont catch air either and the shipping weight is on like 36 pounds. i like the one i fabbed,but its damn heavier than i thought it was going turn out. if i kept it on i would probably have to put 1" spacers on front. figured it'll look good on the truck.the only thing i will miss is the front 2" reciever.
yellow jeep club #343
Unread 02-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #5
jrandalls
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have that bumper, well mines a rugged ridge, but it's the same. I love it. Just installed it wed night, can't wait to get the rear one. The install was easy, just remove the factory bumper, and reuse four of the factory bolts. The factory fogs move out to the lower tabs with no problems.
jrandalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
Napaheck
2004 LJ Wrangler 

my only question is will it protect the front end from running into a deer at 30 MPH
Napaheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
claytonandson
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

a friend of mine has one on his rubi,it looked to me like it would equate like this...bambi-0/tj-1. it seems to be built fairly strong.
yellow jeep club #343
Unread 02-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #8
stevensinger

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Personally, If i knew how to fab I would just make my own out of some round bar. But i am not sure if you know how. I like the one you have but i am more of a full bumper type with 52 inch or so..
2006 Rubicon Unlimited Khaki: AUTO, 4:11 D44/D44, REBB /w Mono tubes, Rancho front stabilizer, 31 x 9.5 LT245/75R16 MTRs, Stock 16in Moab Wheels, Olympic Reverse-A-Bars,KC Daylighters on windshield brackets, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Pioneer Sound, 3A fire extinguisher, Line-X interior...

www.stevensinger.org <-- Photography website

Hello, my name is Steve and I am a Jeepaholic.

LJ Owners Member 155
Rubicon Owners Member 123
New Jersey Jeepers Member 44
stevensinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
claytonandson
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

deer thrower....

hey napaheck....trust me ,the fabbed bumper i have on right now is definetly a deer hunter,espescially w/the forward stinger.B][/B]
yellow jeep club #343
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #10
default_user
It's a Roobicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napaheck View Post
my only question is will it protect the front end from running into a deer at 30 MPH
Will anything protect the front end after running into a deer at 30mph?
default_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #11
brianarrr
Iron Maiden Fan

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've got the SRC front bumper, I think its beefy enough to protect you from a deer hit at 30mph. 1/4" steel, pretty heavy as far as bumpers go.

Somewhere a while ago I read something about how its actually better to hit a deer at a higher speed because the deer will absorb more of the force the faster you are going. I don't remember much else, and I think I was drunk when I read it, so I don't think I'll speed up if it looks like I'm going to hit one
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:28 PM   #12
odwaud
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yeah, when i saw the deer i sped up, we were running low on venison. :P What is involved in installing the SRC bumper? Does it just bolt right on?
odwaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 10:38 PM   #13
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Take a look at Garvin
Unread 02-23-2008, 11:17 PM   #14
slo9fo5oh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by odwaud View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. Yeah, when i saw the deer i sped up, we were running low on venison. :P What is involved in installing the SRC bumper? Does it just bolt right on?

Probably the EASIEST thing I have installed on a vehicle. Only 4 bolts. 2 on top, 2 on bottom. I put the matching rear and sides on my wife's TJ. This bumper will actually do quite a bit to keep an animal away from the front of your heep as it sticks out quite a bit..... I told the wife to be careful not to hit anyone with that thing.....
slo9fo5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 08:03 AM   #15
monkeychrist
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo9fo5oh View Post
Probably the EASIEST thing I have installed on a vehicle. Only 4 bolts. 2 on top, 2 on bottom. I put the matching rear and sides on my wife's TJ. This bumper will actually do quite a bit to keep an animal away from the front of your heep as it sticks out quite a bit..... I told the wife to be careful not to hit anyone with that thing.....
How low does the rear bumper, with built in hitch, sit on the jeep? I currently have the stock bumper and a trailer hitch. Looking at the src but don't want it to end up lower than the gas skid.
monkeychrist is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.