smells like coolant - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > smells like coolant

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Paabs
2006 TJ Wrangler 

smells like coolant

Last week, I replaced my radiator, thermostat, and water pump (water pump was leaking, cracked radiator) on 06 TJ 4.0. Anyway, after driving to work and back all week, I can smell coolant. Nothing is leaking, coolant level is good and driving temp is good. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Paul

Paabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

No, smelling coolant is not normal at any time.

Can you smell it under the hood as well as in the cab?

If only the cab, then it is possible your heater core is leaking. It doesn't take but a very small amount to leak from the heater core and make it smell. You would not detect it by checking the level in the radiator.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
Paabs
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I flushed the heater core during this whole process. Could that have hurt anything?
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
Paabs
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I can smell it in both places, but it's very faint.
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #5
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you have not got the engine warm enough to burn off any spilt coolant, it could be that as well. Were it my jeep I'd monitor it for a few days.
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #6
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

A very small leak can be detected by the schnog (nose). You either have a very small leak or are still smelling the leftovers from the job you just completed. I agree with JFM626, give it a couple days.

However, if it doesn't go away on it's own then look for a small leak. Given the maintenance you just did and the fact that you aren't seeing coolant on the ground I'd guess thermostat housing. If it had a small leak it could likely only leak while running. If leaking while running it is being blown all to hell by the fan and evaporated off before it can be seen. Look for traces of dried green (or red depending on what your using) where there wasn't before. In fact, make sure your engine is nice and clean now, since you just did this maintenance and likely spilled coolant everywhere (like I always manage to do ) and then look for new traces after running her a bit.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #7
Paabs
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep an eye on it. It is still bone dry underneath and fluid level is good. I did spill some into the radiator.. very windy in North Texas a few weeks back. That might be it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.