smashed side axle:( - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > smashed side axle:(

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Dyanmj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

smashed side axle:(

ok soo last weekend i smashed my passenger side side axle , the stub axle and the inner axle both blew the forks off the yolks and the u joint was no where to be seen when i mound the tire on a stump, i plan on up grading my stock D44 with some Superior inner axles and stubs but i go back to college next week and need to hold off and blowing 700 bucks, does any one know what other jeeps or trucks i could get a side axle from to tie me over till i upgrade ??

Dyanmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

same one as yours? would be my guess

edit: 640 for choromolys from rock auto. plus your u joints.. might be able to find those cheaper though.

The Build
cfmiller58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Try your local Craig's List and/or local 4x4 forum for a set of stockers. $60-$100 for a set out here in the PNW. Confirm the condition of the u-joints before you install them, and keep off the spendy pedal...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
srlbotanical
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You have a front 44 I assume? Rubicon I would guess? Those will not be $60-$100 CL finds....

You may get lucky at a bone yard. You can check with Daveys Jeeps in Ohio, but the shipping may kill the deal.

HIGHER POWERED!!
srlbotanical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
Dyanmj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

yes i have the rubicon unlimited with D44 and lockers i dont know if that will make a difference , iam in canada so yes shipping would kill the deal for me, i know for a few yj's , cj's and Comanche's that a friend has in his yard but no local scrap yards have any jeep parts
Unread 06-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I also live in Canada - shipping doesn't have to be that bad if you go USPS.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Dyanmj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

iam just going to upgrade and get a set of Superior axles for the front , if i broke it once i probably will again haha. Iam also considering the tube seal kit for the end of your axle, any one running these? i spent the majority of my wheeling in mud so sealing off the axle ends would be a good benefit to keep mud and rocks from building up in there i figure
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If your going to order the Evo shafts from Superior you better buy them now and then be preparred to wait. I ordered my Evo shafts the end of February and still have no ETA on when I will get them. I have there tube seals and they do a good job of keeping muck out of the tubes.
Unread 06-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcj View Post
If your going to order the Evo shafts from Superior you better buy them now and then be preparred to wait. I ordered my Evo shafts the end of February and still have no ETA on when I will get them. I have there tube seals and they do a good job of keeping muck out of the tubes.
X2. Long story I won't bore you with, suffice it to say receiving orders from Superior has been a problem for me, too, in recent months.

There are mixed reviews on the tube seals. Some say that they will only keep any mud & debris that does get in there, hostage. Others think they go a long way in keeping it out in the first place. Water crossings i.e. sippy holes, aren't your friend. I run the tube seals...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
Dyanmj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

well id rather not have to wait to long, any other brands with similar bang for your buck? around the same price range?
Unread 06-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I got Nitro shafts from ECGS for a very reasonable price.
Unread 06-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
Dyanmj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hey hustler905, thanks for the response ! i have never herd of Nitro be for but it seems to be match quality to Superior axles. how long have you been running them and if there have been any issues what were they? i would like to get some ordered asap so i can get back to the trails
Unread 06-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've had the Nitro shafts for about 18 months now. They take full circle clips, seem like a quality product when handling them, and I'm not hesitant tu run them with 35" tires.

I would purchase them again. If you ask ECGS will even press the u-joints for you, saving some assembly time on your end.
Unread 06-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
Dyanmj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

sounds good man, i will probably be ordering them tomorrow..did it take verry long for them to arrive to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler905 View Post
I've had the Nitro shafts for about 18 months now. They take full circle clips, seem like a quality product when handling them, and I'm not hesitant tu run them with 35" tires.

I would purchase them again. If you ask ECGS will even press the u-joints for you, saving some assembly time on your end.
Unread 06-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #15
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

ECGS is in VA or something, definitely on the east coast (it's not just a clever name) so I got mine in maybe 4 business days.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.