slow to crank over.. battery or starter? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > slow to crank over.. battery or starter?

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-18-2005, 05:38 AM   #1
paroxysym
2007 WK 

slow to crank over.. battery or starter?

well i have had my jeep for over a month and a 1/2. i bought it used and it has about 36k and some change on it. this morning and yesterday morning, its been around 14-19 outside. i go to start it this morning and it cranked over so slow, i was waiting for it to stall. it didnt, thank god. but im wondering what could be causing it. i still have the 500 amp maintenance free battery that it came with from the factory. i do plan on upgrading to a red-top soon, but is the battery the problem or the starter?

Unread 01-18-2005, 05:52 AM   #2
XTC Jpr13
2000 TJ Wrangler 

same thing

Same thing has been happening to me. Anyone got an idea whats going on?
XTC Jpr13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2005, 06:08 AM   #3
the_ronster
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Its not the starter if it cranking slow. Its either your Battery or the wire from the battery to the starter (this is what my wifes jeep had). Check the wire for crack/corrosion, and good contacts at the starter. Sometimes if you have a leak at the rear main, it causes the starter to get nasty causing the problem. Personally, Im not a maintenance free battery fan, go with a red top, or better yet, go to Sams Club and pick up a good (high cranking amp) battery there for much cheaper.
RE 3.5 Super Flex, Old Man Emu Long Travel Shocks and Steering Stabalizer, RE Hack & Tap SYE, AA CV Drive Shaft, ARB Compressor, ARB Front and Rear Lockers, 35x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, Custom Fabbed Bumpers, ORFAB rear tire carrier/ gascan holder, Superior 4.88s, and Heated Seats

the_ronster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2005, 07:53 AM   #4
paroxysym
2007 WK 

ok this may be a dumb question.... but when i disconnectthe battery it wont lock me out of my radio like it did on my blazer? i know in my yj i did that and it just reset my headunit. but i have the stock system in so i was just wondering.
Unread 01-18-2005, 07:59 AM   #5
skinton
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Possibly the cold weather is making the viscosity of the oil higher (viscosity changes with temperature). Might want to make sure you have 5W-30 in there. Also, do the headlights go dim when trying to start it up? This would indicate weak battery. You can take the battery to some autoparts stores (like Autozone) and they will test it under load for free.

2006 Grand Cherokee Overland (5.7L HEMI)
HEMI Club Member #53

2003 M-B C240 4matic
skinton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2005, 08:20 AM   #6
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mines 10 months old and has 17,500 miles on it. It was 14 out this morning and it cranked real slow to the point where I thought it wasn't going to start. I'm thinking this is how it is for the cheap stock battery they use. I'm using 5w30 synthetic oil also.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2005, 09:12 AM   #7
scottman
2010 JK Wrangler 

I just bought a new battery for my wife's XJ, which was turning over slow. Upped the cold cranking amps to 630 and everything is fine now.
scottman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2005, 09:37 AM   #8
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Mine does it with a fairly new optima battery. I Don't think it's the battery... Have a buddy with an XJ and his was doing the same thing as mine. He replaced the starter and it spins over like a top now.

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2005, 09:45 AM   #9
slabb42

check over all your starter connections, and battery terminals, make sure they are clean. if the problem persists, it is most likely a battery. the red top is perfect for what you are describing. as far as the radio locked out, what is meant by that? my 2003 has the new style radio, and if i disconnect it, and plug it back in, it retains my presets. it is just a feature of the deck. older YJ's etc wont do that...

oh yeah, and your headlights should dim slightly even if the battery is new, but if they dim almost off, then it is your battery! watch your voltage meter on your dash while cranking. if it drops to like 10-11, it is not bad, but if it drops way down, your battery is done. get a red top. www.remybattery.com $108.95 plus shipping
Unread 01-18-2005, 10:12 AM   #10
Sparty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just get an engine block heater.

It's been in the single digits here for the past week (below zero in the morning when I leave for work) and my baby cranks over like a charm....every time. THen I have heat within about 20 seconds.
Unread 01-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #11
thebulkinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty
Just get an engine block heater.

It's been in the single digits here for the past week (below zero in the morning when I leave for work) and my baby cranks over like a charm....every time. THen I have heat within about 20 seconds.

How hard is it to retro fit a block heater?

I think the 4.0 just doesnt like the cold, everyone with it has problems where it seems as if it cranks slow when cold 20 and lower degrees outside.
thebulkinator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2005, 11:54 AM   #12
Sparty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulkinator
How hard is it to retro fit a block heater?

I think the 4.0 just doesnt like the cold, everyone with it has problems where it seems as if it cranks slow when cold 20 and lower degrees outside.

I had a friend with a 4.0 get one aftermarket. He took it to a Jeep Dealer (5 star) and had them put the same one in that the factory normally does.

The mechanics said they actually had to lift the engine up a bit off the mounts to get in there to put it in. But it was all the same, they quoted him a price and he paid it. I think it ended up being $140, or something like that for parts and labor.
Unread 01-18-2005, 02:01 PM   #13
skinton
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I got a battery from Wal-Mart. It is the EverStart Maxx and has something like 900 cold cranking amps. Always fires right up (unless I have starter issues: see my other thread )

2006 Grand Cherokee Overland (5.7L HEMI)
HEMI Club Member #53

2003 M-B C240 4matic
skinton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2005, 05:02 PM   #14
MPowerM3

Its the cold, when its cold mine does it, but when warm, no hesitation.

2004 Electric Green Wrangler Sport. Bone stock with a Dana 44! SOLD and I miss it alittle.

2006 Mazdaspeed 6! Replaced the Jeep.
MPowerM3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2005, 08:22 PM   #15
JeepCrazyKid

this is like the 10th thread about people asking about why their rig doesn't fire up on the first crank when it's 4 degrees outside......

When it's cold outside:
-The chemical reactions in the battery take place more slowly thus producing fewer electrons. Therefore the starter has less energy to work with when the engine cranks.

-Oil gets a lot thicker when it's cold. Ever put syrup in the fridge? It's hard for the engine to move thick oil around. Try synthetic oil.

-Gas doesn't evaporate as well when it's cold. When it evaporates slower it's harder to burn.

Slow starts are normal when it's cold outside. The cold exploits any weaknesses you may have with your battery or lubrication system.
JeepCrazyKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.