Slip Yoke/SYE/ETC ETC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Slip Yoke/SYE/ETC ETC

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-17-2005, 05:36 PM   #1
jeephreak

Slip Yoke/SYE/ETC ETC

Can someone explain what a slip yoke is and what it does, or point me to a sticky or something? It sounds as if it would be a component near the yoke of the DS but apparently I have a slip in the middle?

Why have them, why get rid of them after a lift?

I have no idea when it comes to this subject, and am sick of pretending I have a clue.

Thanks for the help in advance!

MY RIG

r.i.p. Cap'n Crunch
jeephreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2005, 05:56 PM   #2
TJ on the Rocks

The yoke on the rear of the transfer case is a slip yoke ; meaning it is on the splined output shaft on the transfer case . There for it has the ability to slide in and out to allow for required movement when your suspension compresses and extends . When you lift a TJ even a small amount you'll usually end up getting a driveline vibration . You can eliminate the vibration by going to a SYE which means slip yoke eliminator . Typically the output shaft and yoke are changed on the transfer case to the rigid design . Which then means of course you'll need a driveshaft with a slip joint in it to allow for suspension travel . I am not sure about the Rubicon . Perhaps it has the NP 241 and a CV style DS
TJ on the Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
jruba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeephreak
Can someone explain what a slip yoke is and what it does, or point me to a sticky or something? It sounds as if it would be a component near the yoke of the DS but apparently I have a slip in the middle?

Why have them, why get rid of them after a lift?

I have no idea when it comes to this subject, and am sick of pretending I have a clue.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Whit 487 post , i cant believe you still dont know what a slip yoke is ....ahh you were problably browsing the general chit chat right ?

BTW , you dont need one you are driving a 2005 rubicon , get under your jeep and look at the tail of your transfer case ..see a yoke , thats a fixed yoke ..lol.
jruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2005, 08:31 PM   #4
jeephreak

This is my 4th jeep and I only lifted one prior so I didnt have to worry about a slip yoke, what it was, what it did or how to fix vibes (never had them before).

I'd like to think I have a decent amount of knowledge when it comes to other aspects of Jeeps and wheeling, regardless of your elementary pokes.

Oh fyi, general discussion posts dont pad your post count and I can tell you that it didn't take 487 posts to learn that d*ckwads like you are a dime a dozen on this board

MY RIG

r.i.p. Cap'n Crunch
Unread 08-17-2005, 08:50 PM   #5
Scoobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruba
Whit 487 post , i cant believe you still dont know what a slip yoke is ....ahh you were problably browsing the general chit chat right ?

BTW , you dont need one you are driving a 2005 rubicon , get under your jeep and look at the tail of your transfer case ..see a yoke , thats a fixed yoke ..lol.
Not everybody who reads this stuff has 487 post either. I would like to thank 2001Sahara for taking the time to answer the question with an informitive answer. Because I didnt know what one was and learned something from his post. With post like yours I am suprised you have been allowed to make to 120 post.

Scoob
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2005, 09:17 PM   #6
jeephreak

dont sweat it scoob...you have to weed out the crap to get the useful info on this board...

its still a great source for knowledge......so stick around!!

MY RIG

r.i.p. Cap'n Crunch
Unread 08-17-2005, 09:27 PM   #7
skenzer
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
dont sweat it scoob...you have to weed out the crap to get the useful info on this board...

its still a great source for knowledge......so stick around!!
Agreed! 99% of the people here are good people...and are willing to help others. NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY was BORN with this knowledge! We all had to learn one way or the other...and asking questions is the best way!

2" BDS Lift
K&N FIPK Series2
Magnaflow Cat-back
62mm ported TB
Optima Yellow Top

Lot's more to do....
skenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2005, 03:08 PM   #8
jruba

Ohh yes i do agree , that you have to ask , but theres is also the search button that you could use first, there are thousands of threads about SYE , next time you want to know something you might search first , but i think is a lot easier to ask than search .....Im done here.
jruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2005, 04:19 PM   #9
jeephreak

Yeah i have the time to search through 327 threads (5 pages) that have the pattern "SYE" in it. Are you joking? Go look for a thread with BB in it and tell me youd sit there and shop through each and everyone of those.

There always has to be someone like you responding to threads - I wish people like you would keep your crap in your mouth, and stop spewing it all over posts.

After my first 10 posts I learned how to search for what I was looking for when I had the time , but when I just needed a quick answer, I find it easier to post.

MY RIG

r.i.p. Cap'n Crunch
Unread 08-18-2005, 04:23 PM   #10
skenzer
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yeah i have the time to search through 327 threads (5 pages) that have the pattern "SYE" in it. Are you joking? Go look for a thread with BB in it and tell me youd sit there and shop through each and everyone of those.

There always has to be someone like you responding to threads - I wish people like you would keep your crap in your mouth, and stop spewing it all over posts.

After my first 10 posts I learned how to search for what I was looking for when I had the time , but when I just needed a quick answer, I find it easier to post.

Dude,
You're not helping things here. Leave it alone! Ask your questions when you need to, search when you have time, etc etc. But don't get into these kind of forum battles....it's not worth it!

2" BDS Lift
K&N FIPK Series2
Magnaflow Cat-back
62mm ported TB
Optima Yellow Top

Lot's more to do....
Unread 08-18-2005, 07:57 PM   #11
jeephreak

Not getting into a battle by any means, but at the same time I wanted to let the troll know that I have knowledge of the search function, and I used it, but if he didnt have anything useful to say, he can move on to the next post. Its really simple. I just dislike people who flame and cant say anything useful

MY RIG

r.i.p. Cap'n Crunch
Unread 08-18-2005, 08:17 PM   #12
skenzer
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Not getting into a battle by any means, but at the same time I wanted to let the troll know that I have knowledge of the search function, and I used it, but if he didnt have anything useful to say, he can move on to the next post. Its really simple. I just dislike people who flame and cant say anything useful
I hear ya', believe me...I hear ya'.
Peace

2" BDS Lift
K&N FIPK Series2
Magnaflow Cat-back
62mm ported TB
Optima Yellow Top

Lot's more to do....
Unread 08-18-2005, 09:30 PM   #13
Flatbroke
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by skenzer
Agreed! 99% of the people here are good people...and are willing to help others. NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY was BORN with this knowledge! We all had to learn one way or the other...and asking questions is the best way!

yeah, I wouldn't have bought my jeep with 3.07 gears and a D35 rear end if I knew better.

Wish I had found this site before the purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRussoX
Haha

I actually look at a Jeepers nuts to see how informed they are. Ditch your nuts man!

Russo
Flatbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2005, 09:49 PM   #14
skenzer
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbroke
yeah, I wouldn't have bought my jeep with 3.07 gears and a D35 rear end if I knew better.

Wish I had found this site before the purchase
Same here. The good news is we get to upgrade our jeeps! That's pretty fun.

2" BDS Lift
K&N FIPK Series2
Magnaflow Cat-back
62mm ported TB
Optima Yellow Top

Lot's more to do....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.