Which Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) do you recommend for a 3.5" Short Arm Lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Which Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) do you recommend for a 3.5" Short Arm Lift?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Which Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) do you recommend for a 3.5" Short Arm Lift?

So, I put on the RE 3.5 short arm, supper flex kit with RE monotube shocks and a RE front trac bar. Wheels and tires are 15x8 and BFG KO's 33"x10.50x15.I am happy with my setup except I can feel some driveline vibs. I did the transfer case drop too. I just want to eliminate the very minimal vibes I am experiencing.
So will a SYE make them go away? I am guessing it will, but I wanted to ask and see if I am barking up the right tree. My other Q is. Which kit to go with? I am some what overwhelmed by all the options available. Is there any one that is more correct than the other. The 4WD shop guy says go with the RE brand. Any opinions will be appreciated. I commute with this vehicle on a regular basis. Thanks for the input.

Unread 02-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
davidkaiser05
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It should eliminate your vibration. I just got done installing and advance adapters SYE and I was able to do it in about two hours with my transfer case still in my jeep. I also installed an 18" RE driveshaft. If you put on an SYE you need a longer driveshaft.
davidkaiser05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you are OK with the tcase drop, you can fine tune it and eliminate the remaining vibs by adding some washer to the drop to drop it more or grinding a bit off the spacers if you need to raise it some. This should get things smoothed out until you actually do the SYE conversion. The goal is to get the tcase output shaft parallel to the rear axle pinion shaft. A $5 magnetic mount angle finder from Sears can help.

As for the brand of SYE, I have not seen one yet that doesn't work as promised. I've been running a old style hack and tap that I bought though Currie and it's been fine even with the stock size shaft. So you should be fine with whatever you get.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
TredwranglerJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have pretty much that same lift with an AA SYE and Tom Woods Drive shaft... haven't had any driveline vibes or problems yet and its been almost a year....
TredwranglerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

So the more I drop the Tcase the less the driceline vibes will be, although my ground clearance will be reduced as I go, and I guess at some point the engine angle under the hood will start to show at some point. There must be some adverse effects at some point. I really am still recovering from the last set of upgrades. Kinda blew my wad if ya know what I mean. With that, I would like to do the correct thing at a reasonable cost.
Is it true, that with certain SYE kits the driveshaft will need replaced? Does it depend on which kit I choose? I see mentioned that some have and some have not replaced driveshaft. I guess depending on the costs, I may just have to add more spacers until I can afford the best kit for my budget. Thanks for all the input. I am going to start researching different kits and requirements.
One other Q. When I do get a SYE installed, can I remove all the tcase spacers and suck that baby back up in there like it was originally. or will I still have to custom tweak the angle of the dangle to get it just right? Sorry for all the Q's. Just trying to learn the ropes. Thanks again!
Unread 02-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
mike0110
2001 TJ Wrangler 

if you get a sye you will need a new drive shaft. you could add a few washers to your transfer case drop and see if the vibes go away. with a sye you can remove all drop spacers.

P.O.R.C sye kit is only $160, i've had mine for about 6 months and it works great. you can also pick up a front drive shaft from an xj and rebuild it to work as a rear drive shaft. i ended up spending $110 on my drive shaft ($10 for the used drive shaft, $60 for all new u-jonts/centering ball, and $40 to have it cut to size and balanced). you will also need upper control arms ($180-$250).
mike0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
cschroeder220
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Does the P.O.R.C kit need a different drive shaft?
cschroeder220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
mike0110
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschroeder220 View Post
Does the P.O.R.C kit need a different drive shaft?
any sye kit will require a new drive shaft.

take a look at your front drive shaft and compare it to the your rear. the front is called a CV drive shaft and is very similar to type of drive shaft you will need in the rear with an sye.
mike0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
cschroeder220
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you....
cschroeder220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #10
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I am still running around with lots of washers and longer bolts. It looks ridiculous with the belly pan hanging down. I am waiting till after I get back from vacation to see if I have any money left over, then Its time to get the SYE and new drive shaft.
Mike0110 mentions new upper control arms? Is this for the rear? Why didn't I get them in the lift kit. Why do I need them now? Do I get both front and rear? Wow, sorry, lots of questions.
Thanks for the feedback.
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #11
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

When you install the SYE kit you will have to change the rear axle pinion angle. With the CV style driveshaft, you have to raise the front of the axle so that the pinion shaft is directly in line with the rear portion of the driveshaft. All the angle will be in the CV joint when you have it right. To do this, you will need a way to rotate the axle which is usually done with adjustable upper control arms in the rear. No changes are needed on any of the parts in the front of your Jeep.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #12
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Holly crap, what a can of worms. I guess I should have researched it more. My fault. I am still glad I did the lift. I just wish I would quit getting all these surprises that suck my wallet dry. LOL So on top of everything else, I will have to save up for the adjustable rear upper control arms. Waaahhhhh!
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #13
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've had a PORC SYE on my XJ for about 4 years without any problems.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #14
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

OK, so is this too good to be true?
Rubicon Express RE1895-255 - Rubicon Express Rear CV Driveshaft for 04-06 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with Short Arm Suspension Lift - Quadratec
I was cruising and looking for the necessary stuff I am going to need and I stumbled onto this and had to put it out here and ask. What do you think?
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #15
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richd1963 View Post
OK, so is this too good to be true?
Rubicon Express RE1895-255 - Rubicon Express Rear CV Driveshaft for 04-06 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with Short Arm Suspension Lift - Quadratec
I was cruising and looking for the necessary stuff I am going to need and I stumbled onto this and had to put it out here and ask. What do you think?
What's too good to be true about it? Its a CV driveshaft. Get a Tom Wood.

Tags
slip yoke eliminator , sye , sye kit

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.