Slip yoke eliminator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Slip yoke eliminator

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW ZJ Grand Cherokee Tube DoorsGibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Unread 08-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #1
7179CJ5
1979 CJ5 

Slip yoke eliminator

How many out there have installed a SYE kit with new DS with a 4"lift?

Getting all kinds of suggestions locally,!want to see what the majority is doing.

Thank you in advance!

7179CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
WhiteMtnJeep
It Should Have Been MEG!!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Some install the TC drop kit to lower the transfer case 1". Some do this in conjunction with a MML. While it will make the driveline angles better it also will reduce you clearance by an inch.

The best way is with a SYE and proper driveshaft (you can't do the SYE only). The SYE/driveshaft will allow you to keep your full clearance with the new lift and, IMHO, is the better way to go.

Whichever route you choose make sure to check and adjust you pinion angles afterwards.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
7179CJ5
1979 CJ5 

How would you correct the pinion angles if they are not right?
Unread 08-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7179CJ5 View Post
How would you correct the pinion angles if they are not right?
Adjustable control arms to rotate the axle. ~3" of lift seems to be about the spot where a SYE becomes needed. This is accompanied by a double cardan drive shaft in the rear. Can you remind us if you have a TJ or an LJ?
Unread 08-02-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
7179CJ5
1979 CJ5 

Thank you for the information.
SYE/kit has already been ordered from Novak.
However, we were informed that measurements would be needed in to order the DS. But I think i put the cart before the horse, have put my lift on yet.

What vendor do you represent?
Unread 08-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #6
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

None. I'm just a guy doing a whole bunch of laundry on the weekend.
Unread 08-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #7
4wheelrampage
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thank you for the information.
SYE/kit has already been ordered from Novak.
However, we were informed that measurements would be needed in to order the DS. But I think i put the cart before the horse, have put my lift on yet.

You will see some driveshafts premade. Tattons is one company that does this and who I went with one time. However the official and correct way to measure for driveshaft is install your lift and sye then measure and order. My last shaft I ordered from Tom Woods with my exact measurements after I installed the sye. Takes 1 buisness day to build, then it can be overnighted
Therefore, tasting a drop of antifreeze actually makes you stronger :)
[/quote]

Mac users : control+option+command+8
4wheelrampage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #8
jdub2k5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

the rugged ridge sye got installed on mine when I did a 4.5 bds lift. I have no wobbles like my last jeep.
Unread 08-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #9
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you plan on a belly up I would recommend a super short SYE.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
4wheelrampage
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub2k5 View Post
the rugged ridge sye got installed on mine when I did a 4.5 bds lift. I have no wobbles like my last jeep.
Wobbles are not related to a sye OR driveshaft. If they were unbalanced you would have vibrations, but no wobble. You probably cured your death wobble by replacing your control arms/bushings.
[/quote]

Unread 08-02-2015, 01:09 PM   #11
7179CJ5
1979 CJ5 

Sorry, I failed to mention I have an LJ which I know helps with a lift given the DS is a little longer.
Unread 08-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #12
4wheelrampage
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sorry, I failed to mention I have an LJ which I know helps with a lift given the DS is a little longer.
The correct solution for any jeep to be lifted is sye, double cardon shaft (custom ordered, no more expensive then prefab), and adjustable upper control arms. Anything less then that and you may or may not have vibes. The higher you go with out the previous parts the more likely you are to get vibrations. We wouldn't be able to definitively say that at X" of lift you will begin to experience undesired performance.
[/quote]

Unread 08-03-2015, 08:54 PM   #13
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe I missed it but what size tires are you using? With a 4" suspension lift its recommended to have upper and lower adjustable control arms installed for the rear axle so that you can center the wheel in the wheel well when articulating/flexing the suspension, especially if you have 35" tires.

Some will state that fixed control arms (not adjustable) will work just fine. What you have to keep in mind is that all TJ/LJ Jeep configurations are different, they're not exactly blue print matching and that's where the ability to make adjustments becomes important. Adjustable control arms will allow you to make adjustments as you progress through your modifications as you build your jeep to fit your needs.

I've been using Tom Wood http://www.4xshaft.com/ for many years and have always been satisfied with his products, with one phone call he can most likely fill your needs for your driveshaft... HTH
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2015, 11:16 PM   #14
geroux
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Upper and lower adjustable control arms aren't necessary. If you have fixed lowers that are of adequate length adjustable uppers can dial in the pinion.
I have a 4.5" lift with a double cardon driveshaft and fixed (not stock)lowers. Pinion angle is just fine using just the uppers to adjust.
geroux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2015, 11:33 PM   #15
Da-Tinman
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You'll end up ordering a DS. I just added SYE and double cardon shaft to my LJ and the shaft length you need is not in stock anywhere (at least it wasn't a month or so ago). http://www.4xshaft.com/ built the correct shaft for me cheaper than an off the shelf shaft would have been if they were available. Pretty damn quickly too!

With 5" lift and a tummy tuck my shaft measured 26.5"

You will also need rear spring bucket correctors. http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/prod...rection-plates

Pointing the pinion at the transfer case will put the springs in a weird position without them and I doubt they'll stay in place. I got lucky and got a used set off EvilBay for 50 bux shipped.

I have a long arm kit so adjusting the pinion was fairly easy.

Watch your rear track locator bracket for fuel tank clearance, the stock one may get real close when you rotate the rear for the proper pinion angle.

NO vibrations. It was awful before, starting at 30 mph all the way to 65.

Last edited by Da-Tinman; 08-03-2015 at 11:45 PM..
Da-Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.