Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

slip yoke?

830 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  robncar 
#1 ·
I am looking to install a 3" bds suspension lift on my rubicon. Do you recommend installing a slip yoke illiminator for this size lift? Those of you that dont have it installed do you notice any vibrations?

#2 ·
A 3" lift will cause vibrations if you don't do anything to reduce the u-joint angles on the rear driveshaft. That can be done by either dropping the transfer case skidplate an inch, and/or installing a set of 1" taller motor mounts. You might get lucky and get rid of the vibes with either of those two but you might need to install both. Both do the same thing in terms of reducing the u-joint angle so if one's not enough, adding the other adds to the reduction of the severe u-joint angle caused by the lift.

A SYE kit would do the same thing but in a more elegant manner and with a more elegant cost. Most recommend a SYE kit at 4" and taller suspension lift heights. So for now, with your 3", you could just try either or both of the first two methods described and wait until you get to 4" for the SYE kit. :)

#4 ·
Plan on about $550 for the SYE and CV DS. Do the install yourself and save! The extended motor mounts are easy to install. They are usually installed in conjunction with a body lift, also easy to install.

#5 ·
sye/bds

I have the bds 3" lift and the kit came with a 1" transfer case lowering kit. I installed the lift and took it for a test drive before putting on the lowering kit and had minor vibes between 35-40mph. I came back and put in the 1inch lowering kit and the vibes went away.

Recently, I upgraded to a D44 and needed a longer drive shaft so, I went ahead and did the SYE kit. One thing about the sye kit that I didnt know until I ordered it was that when you do an sye kit you need to install upper adj control arms in the rear. You need these to set the axle yoke/pinion to the right angle. So figure about $700 total for sye and adj control arms.

I was a little scared at first to do the sye install....but it really wasnt that bad...nothing real technical...just needed patience.

Dave

#6 ·
jpl291 said:
I am looking to install a 3" bds suspension lift on my rubicon. Do you recommend installing a slip yoke illiminator for this size lift? Those of you that dont have it installed do you notice any vibrations?
he says he has a rubicon, he won't need a slip yoke eliminator for the np241.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.