Skyjacker Shocks...dumb question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Skyjacker Shocks...dumb question.

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
applerock
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Skyjacker Shocks...dumb question.

Thanks to all who have inputted on my front bumper quest. It's still a way off, but I've got some ideas on what to look for.

Onto a more pressing matter however......
Making out my Christmas list......
(or to-do list, whatever you prefer)

Looking at shocks for my '06 TJ.
I've bean looking here, in the forums, reviews and elsewhere online.
Are the Skyjacker "softride" shocks a different animal than the Hydro 7000's and Nitro 8000's. There are review here for both. Some venders online specify "Softride" shocks, other do not. The "Softride" variety got better reviews here than the 7000 Hydros.

Looking to complement the RC 2.5" kit I'm planning to install over the winter.
Thanks to what I've read here, the RC 2.2 shocks are stiff. (rather "firm")
Looking for a good onroad ride. It's where I spend most of my time.

Many folks here do the RC 2.5" lift/Skyjacker shocks combo and speak highly of that setup. Just not sure if I need to be looking out for the "Softride" label or not. I am leaning towards the Nitro "Softrides"

Thanks.

applerock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

My personal choice would be to stay away from any Skyjacker product. They ride like garbage and the bushings tend to disintegrate every 7 or 8 months. Even with normal street driving and no wheeling I had to replace bushings after the upper ones simply crumbled.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
TurboRubicon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The PO did a budget skyjacker lift. I'm not a fan, but I didn't pay extra for the mods, so I can't *****.

Personally, I'm saving for an Nth degree lift & shocks.

Rancho is pretty good. I hear a lot on the threads saying Old Man Emu shocks are some of the best around for Jeeps. Hope that helps.
TurboRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Skyjacker has decent shocks but had an issue with the bushings, kinda orange color. But that issue has been resolved. Hydros are hydraulic and are softer than the nitro gas charged ones.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
applerock
2006 TJ Wrangler 

To clearify, currently my TJ is stock. (with 265/75/16 tires on it)

This winter I will be installing the RC 2.5" spring kit.

Instead of getting the RC 2.2 shocks with the kit, I was thinking of getting the kit minus shocks for $199, then get some Skyjacker Hydro 7000's or "Softrides" or some Skyjacker Nitro 8000 or "Softrides". That's the part I'm confused about. Are all Skyjacker shocks "Softrides"?

Oh, and at nearly twice the price, I'm sure the OME shocks are great, just don't think I'd get my money's worth out of them.
Unread 10-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by applerock View Post
To clearify, currently my TJ is stock. (with 265/75/16 tires on it)

This winter I will be installing the RC 2.5" spring kit.

Instead of getting the RC 2.2 shocks with the kit, I was thinking of getting the kit minus shocks for $199, then get some Skyjacker Hydro 7000's or "Softrides" or some Skyjacker Nitro 8000 or "Softrides". That's the part I'm confused about. Are all Skyjacker shocks "Softrides"?

Oh, and at nearly twice the price, I'm sure the OME shocks are great, just don't think I'd get my money's worth out of them.
No they are not, Two different animals.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
opticalwaveguy
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A better question to ask yourself is what kind of shocks, not what brand.
Once you resolve which kind of shock, then begin comparing shocks within that category for quality and cost.
By kind, I mean construction.
You may find that a nitrogen charged shock of one brand is significantly more expensive than a nitrogen charged shock of another and yet there is little distinguishable difference in quality.

Keep in mind that if you have more bumper weight, there is more mass oscillating for the shock to dampen and a heavier duty shock should be considered. Also not all "heavy duty" shock are the heaviest of duty.

Vendors that carry various brands are a good resource for info on application.
Proud To Be A FF/EMT/Police/Military Club Member #2
opticalwaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
Caribic-TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The Skyjacker Hydros ride soft, the Nitros stiff. I can recommend the Hydros if you are looking for inexpensive shocks, a friend with a 2.5" RC lift has them in the back, so do I on my Sahara (first had Nitros).
Martin
'06 LJ Rubicon
'98 TJ Sahara
Caribic-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
4xfiend
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Hydros and like them. They are a good, soft shock for the price. The Nitros run stiffer and, from everything I've read, do not work well on a Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
I DON'T FRIGGIN' CARE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M
Please keep the facts to yourself; nobody here wants to hear them. This was a perfectly good internet argument until you came along with anecdotal evidence.
4xfiend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #10
applerock
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xfiend View Post
I have the Hydros and like them. They are a good, soft shock for the price. The Nitros run stiffer and, from everything I've read, do not work well on a Jeep.
Are they the 7000 hydros or the "softride" hydros?
Unread 10-21-2010, 01:53 AM   #11
bojang
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Rancho has a rebate now with some vendor, can't remember who, where you get the wireless controller for the 9000s.

Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that I ask for.

Never trust a lumpy fart.
bojang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 02:16 AM   #12
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

For the price that your looking for you might want to check out the Black Diamond Suspension shocks as well. From what I have read they seem like they have had more positive reviews toward them than they skyjacker shocks. I would personally go with BDS Suspension for the prices closer to what your looking for.
drewtj05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 05:57 AM   #13
awkrueger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Go with Bilsteins.
awkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
NHEric
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I really like these doetsch shocks. Nice ride - on and off road.
NHEric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 08:54 AM   #15
jonesy02
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My Skyjacker hyrdo's ride like Rancho 5000s..... not good at all. Not sure if mine are not the "softride" or what.

Tags
shocks , skyjacker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.