JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Skyjacker Shocks...dumb question. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/skyjacker-shocks-dumb-question-1117821/)

applerock 10-20-2010 03:02 PM

Skyjacker Shocks...dumb question.

Thanks to all who have inputted on my front bumper quest. It's still a way off, but I've got some ideas on what to look for.

Onto a more pressing matter however......
Making out my Christmas list...... :thumbsup:
(or to-do list, whatever you prefer)

Looking at shocks for my '06 TJ.
I've bean looking here, in the forums, reviews and elsewhere online.
Are the Skyjacker "softride" shocks a different animal than the Hydro 7000's and Nitro 8000's. There are review here for both. Some venders online specify "Softride" shocks, other do not. The "Softride" variety got better reviews here than the 7000 Hydros.

Looking to complement the RC 2.5" kit I'm planning to install over the winter.
Thanks to what I've read here, the RC 2.2 shocks are stiff. (rather "firm")
Looking for a good onroad ride. It's where I spend most of my time. :(

Many folks here do the RC 2.5" lift/Skyjacker shocks combo and speak highly of that setup. Just not sure if I need to be looking out for the "Softride" label or not. I am leaning towards the Nitro "Softrides"

Thanks.

WhiteOut 10-20-2010 03:15 PM

My personal choice would be to stay away from any Skyjacker product. They ride like garbage and the bushings tend to disintegrate every 7 or 8 months. Even with normal street driving and no wheeling I had to replace bushings after the upper ones simply crumbled.

TurboRubicon 10-20-2010 03:20 PM

The PO did a budget skyjacker lift. I'm not a fan, but I didn't pay extra for the mods, so I can't *****.

Personally, I'm saving for an Nth degree lift & shocks.

Rancho is pretty good. I hear a lot on the threads saying Old Man Emu shocks are some of the best around for Jeeps. Hope that helps.

JBTJ 10-20-2010 03:22 PM

Skyjacker has decent shocks but had an issue with the bushings, kinda orange color. But that issue has been resolved. Hydros are hydraulic and are softer than the nitro gas charged ones.

applerock 10-20-2010 03:42 PM

To clearify, currently my TJ is stock. (with 265/75/16 tires on it)

This winter I will be installing the RC 2.5" spring kit.

Instead of getting the RC 2.2 shocks with the kit, I was thinking of getting the kit minus shocks for $199, then get some Skyjacker Hydro 7000's or "Softrides" or some Skyjacker Nitro 8000 or "Softrides". That's the part I'm confused about. Are all Skyjacker shocks "Softrides"?

Oh, and at nearly twice the price, I'm sure the OME shocks are great, just don't think I'd get my money's worth out of them.

JBTJ 10-20-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by applerock (Post 10313748)
To clearify, currently my TJ is stock. (with 265/75/16 tires on it)

This winter I will be installing the RC 2.5" spring kit.

Instead of getting the RC 2.2 shocks with the kit, I was thinking of getting the kit minus shocks for $199, then get some Skyjacker Hydro 7000's or "Softrides" or some Skyjacker Nitro 8000 or "Softrides". That's the part I'm confused about. Are all Skyjacker shocks "Softrides"?

Oh, and at nearly twice the price, I'm sure the OME shocks are great, just don't think I'd get my money's worth out of them.

No they are not, Two different animals.

opticalwaveguy 10-20-2010 04:11 PM

A better question to ask yourself is what kind of shocks, not what brand.
Once you resolve which kind of shock, then begin comparing shocks within that category for quality and cost.
By kind, I mean construction.
You may find that a nitrogen charged shock of one brand is significantly more expensive than a nitrogen charged shock of another and yet there is little distinguishable difference in quality.

Keep in mind that if you have more bumper weight, there is more mass oscillating for the shock to dampen and a heavier duty shock should be considered. Also not all "heavy duty" shock are the heaviest of duty.

Vendors that carry various brands are a good resource for info on application.

Caribic-TJ 10-20-2010 04:39 PM

The Skyjacker Hydros ride soft, the Nitros stiff. I can recommend the Hydros if you are looking for inexpensive shocks, a friend with a 2.5" RC lift has them in the back, so do I on my Sahara (first had Nitros).
Martin
'06 LJ Rubicon
'98 TJ Sahara

4xfiend 10-20-2010 06:13 PM

I have the Hydros and like them. They are a good, soft shock for the price. The Nitros run stiffer and, from everything I've read, do not work well on a Jeep.

applerock 10-20-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4xfiend (Post 10314450)
I have the Hydros and like them. They are a good, soft shock for the price. The Nitros run stiffer and, from everything I've read, do not work well on a Jeep.

Are they the 7000 hydros or the "softride" hydros?

bojang 10-21-2010 01:53 AM

Rancho has a rebate now with some vendor, can't remember who, where you get the wireless controller for the 9000s.

drewtj05 10-21-2010 02:16 AM

For the price that your looking for you might want to check out the Black Diamond Suspension shocks as well. From what I have read they seem like they have had more positive reviews toward them than they skyjacker shocks. I would personally go with BDS Suspension for the prices closer to what your looking for.

awkrueger 10-21-2010 05:57 AM

Go with Bilsteins.

NHEric 10-21-2010 08:39 AM

I really like these doetsch shocks. Nice ride - on and off road.

jonesy02 10-21-2010 08:54 AM

My Skyjacker hyrdo's ride like Rancho 5000s..... not good at all. Not sure if mine are not the "softride" or what.

The time now is 10:16 PM.