Skyjacker nitros, vs Bilsteins, vs RE mono-tube - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Skyjacker nitros, vs Bilsteins, vs RE mono-tube

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 09-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
jonesyracing
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Skyjacker nitros, vs Bilsteins, vs RE mono-tube

Looking to replace my blown rear Skyjacker Nitro8000's. Replacing rears only for now. Any thoughts on Bilstein 5100's vs Rancho RS7000mt, vs Rubi Ex Mono-tube, vs the much cheaper Nitro 8000's that it had? Is it worth double the price to upgrade, and if so are the Bilsteins worth $5-$10 more each?
Still road drivin but offroad when able. Tho not hardcore, I installed 4.56 gears and ARB because I needed to.

TJ sport 2-1/2 suspension, 32's (for now) 35's by spring

Thanks for your input. Jonesy

Unread 09-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
05x

Ive run the RE monos on my last rig and my current rig and like them a lot. My current rig is on 35 mtr's
05x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
jonesyracing
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Are they adjustable? I believe the Bilsteins have 3 settings. would be nice as when I am on the trails I have my hi jack mounted to back of cage, CO2 tank and 40-50 pounds of tools and straps. but leave that stuff at home when daily driving. Thanks for the input.
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Of that list of shocks, the RE Monotubes are the last shock I would run again. I installed RE's Monotube shocks onto my previous TJ when I installed their long-arm suspension and they rode great on the road. That said, they sucked offroad.

I first found that out when I couldn't keep up with friends on the bumpy dirt roads between trails out in Johnson Valley. They'd be traveling, I dunno, maybe 40 mph on the bumpy dirt roads for several miles and with the RE Monotubes, I could only go maybe 20-25 mph at the fastest without losing control. It was really (!) frustrating.

Now that I'm running a better shock, which is currently the OME Nitrocharger, my TJ now handles like theirs do... I can drive the roughest dirt roads at any speed I want and maintain excellent control, something I couldn't do with the RE Monotubes. Which, again, had a nice ride on the streets but would fail miserably at keeping my TJ under control at anything but a very slow speed on rough dirt roads.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
jonesyracing
2000 TJ Wrangler 

thanks, I haven't looked into the OME's much due to the one search of them that I did had them come in considerably higher priced than all the others. I will check some more. I hear nothing but good things of the Bilsteins but they were a slight bit more than the other very similar mono tubes, so I thought I would get some input before buying.
Unread 09-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Contact Kolak here. He is a vendor for Bilstein. I got a great deal on some Bilstein 5100s from him. They ride great on and off-road.
joeyk803c is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.