Skyjacker lift questions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Skyjacker lift questions?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Reply
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:48 AM   #1
mnm99
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: miller place, ny
Posts: 187
Skyjacker lift questions?

I picked up my first Jeep a couple weeks ago and am just fixing a few small things on it. It's an 05 Sport and noticed it has a little swagger to it..LOL. The pass side sits 1" lower than the drivers side (140K miles on the clock) My friend has a 2 1/2" Skyjacker lift he had in his jeep for a couple years before he went with a 4". He will sell it to me for $200. It comes with 4 springs, control arms, Transfer case spacer and 4 Nitro shocks. Should I be worried about buying old springs? He says he only had it on for a couple years. The kit it sitting in his basement. He also said the Nitro shocks had a ROUGH ride. I'm looking for a soft or as close to stock as I could get. I'm wondering if the kit would be worth buying. Or any input you could give me. Looking to go with 31's or 32's.

Thanks

mnm99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone, North Carolina
Posts: 9,605
I would pass on it. Skyjacker isn't the best brand.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone
__________________
[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/tys-tj-1475530/#post14926343"]MY BUILD THREAD[/URL][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/tyvanwies-log-transformation-1489190/"]MY FITNESS LOG/TRANSFORMATION[/URL][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jk-tj-parts-1525039/"]JK AND TJ PARTS FOR SALE[/URL][/B][/SIZE]

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
mnm99
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: miller place, ny
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
I would pass on it. Skyjacker isn't the best brand.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone
I know your on your phone, but can you elaborate? Why?
mnm99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
Ironhead
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Westchester, Illinois
Posts: 3,161
you can run 32's with a simple 1.25" body lift and keep your ride characteristics.

Skyjacker is not a highly rated brand, there are a ton of reviews on here about them

you can go with a bl for now and do tons of research on lifts and develop an overall plan on what you want your jeep to be. you will save yourself lots of time and money if you research first
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
RowJ
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas/OK Border
Posts: 2,027
My 98 had a Skyjacket 2.5" lift when I bgt it. Had been on there for 7 yrs. I was actually more impressed than I expected to be. It was tight, and when I replaced it with my 4" lift, I was impressed with the stoutness and quality of the components. Most objection around here boil down to the fact you can do better for the same money elsewhere.... if buying new.

Sykjacker springs are quite stiff, which is ok if you like a sports type car ride. I did. Better feeling of control than factory, IMO.
I use to drive locally with the front anti-sway bar disconnected to loosen it up a bit.
Made for a great ride ... especially on rough roads.
The price seems OK but you say "on a truck" ??.... I'd get them if a Jeep kit, and he should have a rear track bar relocator bracket also, to raise the axle end up to match the lift?? Those kits all comes with one. (see bottom right in pic). Here is my kit (w/o shocks) after removal and cleaning up for resale................

Good luck - RJ
jeep-s.j.-2-inch-lift.jpg  
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Charlottesville, Va
Posts: 27,724
Skyjacker nitro shocks are really stiff.
__________________
Quote:
When I had 3.07s I would draft behind birds as an attempt to do the speed limit.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
RowJ
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas/OK Border
Posts: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Skyjacker nitro shocks are really stiff.
I have heard that also. My TJ had 'Soft Rides' so the springs were the stiff component.
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
WeezyBlue
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brunswick OH
Posts: 202
I bought my TJ a few months ago with a Skyjacker lift already on it, measures about 2.5" front 3.5" rear, whatever lift that is... probably 2.5". Rides surprisingly good, way better than my Rough Country lift did on my last TJ, but that's not a huge surprise. Still rides a lot rougher than stock. Then I looked at the prices for the Skyjacker lifts... Whoah. It doesn't ride THAT good. It does ride nice enough that I'm not in a huge hurry to replace it, working on all the other stuff first before I eventually invest in a Currie 4".

So I agree with RowJ above... actually not a bad small entry level lift, but for the money, why? I also run the front sway bar disconnected and the rear connected. There's hardly any roll in the corners but it helps to keep from getting double slammed when driving over uneven terrain or bumps in the road.

Used for $200... As long as it's not all rusty and includes that rear track bar bracket, and you think you can stand a noticeably rougher ride, I'd say take it.

Your alternatives to keep a stock ride and net the same tire clearance would be a budget boost and body lift, but that's going to cost you more than $200
__________________
KD8UCX
CURRENT: '05 TJ Rubicon
Past: '06 TJ SE
WeezyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
mnm99
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: miller place, ny
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
you can run 32's with a simple 1.25" body lift and keep your ride characteristics.

Skyjacker is not a highly rated brand, there are a ton of reviews on here about them

you can go with a bl for now and do tons of research on lifts and develop an overall plan on what you want your jeep to be. you will save yourself lots of time and money if you research first
I will do my research. The whole reason for new springs are because of the 1" lean. Otherwise I wouldn't be doing anything. I figured If I HAVE to replace the springs I might as well go up a few inches. It would be nice if I didn have to replace the shocks, control arms ect though. Are there any lifted springs that don't requre that? Maybe 1 1/2" spring with a 1 1/4" body lift?
mnm99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #10
Ironhead
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Westchester, Illinois
Posts: 3,161
any lifted springs will require the appropriate shocks
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
mnm99
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: miller place, ny
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
any lifted springs will require the appropriate shocks
ok
mnm99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
RowJ
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas/OK Border
Posts: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnm99 View Post
.....The whole reason for new springs are because of the 1" lean......
If that's the only reason, and not bigger tires for future off roading, than I would do one thing first............
Get someone to measure lean when you are in drivers seat!
Mine leans 3/4" to passenger side. it's perfectly level with me driving it!
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone, North Carolina
Posts: 9,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ
If that's the only reason, and notr bigger tires for future off roading, than I would do one thing first............
Get someone to measure lean when you are in drivers seat!
Mine leans 3/4" to passenger side. it's perfectly level with me driving it!
Yeah it's supposed to sit level...

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone
__________________
[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/tys-tj-1475530/#post14926343"]MY BUILD THREAD[/URL][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/tyvanwies-log-transformation-1489190/"]MY FITNESS LOG/TRANSFORMATION[/URL][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jk-tj-parts-1525039/"]JK AND TJ PARTS FOR SALE[/URL][/B][/SIZE]

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
mnm99
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: miller place, ny
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ View Post
If that's the only reason, and not bigger tires for future off roading, than I would do one thing first............
Get someone to measure lean when you are in drivers seat!
Mine leans 3/4" to passenger side. it's perfectly level with me driving it!


Well it's not the ONLY reason... Gives me a reason for the wife too to replace the springs and go a little higher...
mnm99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:29 AM   #15
mnm99
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: miller place, ny
Posts: 187
Talked to my friend again. Here's a little more info. The kit has around 25K on it. He doesnt have the Track bar bracket or Transfer case drop bracket. The springs have some rust on them (been sitting in a box) 4 control arms are good, bushings perfect, shocks look new. $200 for all. If I do this should I purchase front and rear track bar extensions and transfer case drop bracket? If so wheres a cheap place to get them?

Thanks
mnm99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.