JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Skyjacker lift questions? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/skyjacker-lift-questions-1522641/)

mnm99 05-13-2013 04:48 AM

Skyjacker lift questions?

I picked up my first Jeep a couple weeks ago and am just fixing a few small things on it. It's an 05 Sport and noticed it has a little swagger to it..LOL. The pass side sits 1" lower than the drivers side (140K miles on the clock) My friend has a 2 1/2" Skyjacker lift he had in his jeep for a couple years before he went with a 4". He will sell it to me for $200. It comes with 4 springs, control arms, Transfer case spacer and 4 Nitro shocks. Should I be worried about buying old springs? He says he only had it on for a couple years. The kit it sitting in his basement. He also said the Nitro shocks had a ROUGH ride. I'm looking for a soft or as close to stock as I could get. I'm wondering if the kit would be worth buying. Or any input you could give me. Looking to go with 31's or 32's.

Thanks

tyvanwie 05-13-2013 05:06 AM

I would pass on it. Skyjacker isn't the best brand.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

mnm99 05-13-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyvanwie (Post 15426109)
I would pass on it. Skyjacker isn't the best brand.

I know your on your phone, but can you elaborate? Why?

Ironhead 05-13-2013 06:46 AM

you can run 32's with a simple 1.25" body lift and keep your ride characteristics.

Skyjacker is not a highly rated brand, there are a ton of reviews on here about them

you can go with a bl for now and do tons of research on lifts and develop an overall plan on what you want your jeep to be. you will save yourself lots of time and money if you research first

RowJ 05-13-2013 07:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My 98 had a Skyjacket 2.5" lift when I bgt it. Had been on there for 7 yrs. I was actually more impressed than I expected to be. It was tight, and when I replaced it with my 4" lift, I was impressed with the stoutness and quality of the components. Most objection around here boil down to the fact you can do better for the same money elsewhere.... if buying new.

Sykjacker springs are quite stiff, which is ok if you like a sports type car ride. I did. Better feeling of control than factory, IMO.
I use to drive locally with the front anti-sway bar disconnected to loosen it up a bit.
Made for a great ride ... especially on rough roads.
The price seems OK but you say "on a truck" ??.... I'd get them if a Jeep kit, and he should have a rear track bar relocator bracket also, to raise the axle end up to match the lift?? Those kits all comes with one. (see bottom right in pic). Here is my kit (w/o shocks) after removal and cleaning up for resale................

Good luck - RJ

TheBoogieman 05-13-2013 08:54 AM

Skyjacker nitro shocks are really stiff.

RowJ 05-13-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBoogieman (Post 15426777)
Skyjacker nitro shocks are really stiff.

I have heard that also. My TJ had 'Soft Rides' so the springs were the stiff component.

WeezyBlue 05-13-2013 10:26 AM

I bought my TJ a few months ago with a Skyjacker lift already on it, measures about 2.5" front 3.5" rear, whatever lift that is... probably 2.5". Rides surprisingly good, way better than my Rough Country lift did on my last TJ, but that's not a huge surprise. Still rides a lot rougher than stock. Then I looked at the prices for the Skyjacker lifts... Whoah. It doesn't ride THAT good. :eek: It does ride nice enough that I'm not in a huge hurry to replace it, working on all the other stuff first before I eventually invest in a Currie 4".

So I agree with RowJ above... actually not a bad small entry level lift, but for the money, why? I also run the front sway bar disconnected and the rear connected. There's hardly any roll in the corners but it helps to keep from getting double slammed when driving over uneven terrain or bumps in the road.

Used for $200... As long as it's not all rusty and includes that rear track bar bracket, and you think you can stand a noticeably rougher ride, I'd say take it.

Your alternatives to keep a stock ride and net the same tire clearance would be a budget boost and body lift, but that's going to cost you more than $200

mnm99 05-13-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead (Post 15426302)
you can run 32's with a simple 1.25" body lift and keep your ride characteristics.

Skyjacker is not a highly rated brand, there are a ton of reviews on here about them

you can go with a bl for now and do tons of research on lifts and develop an overall plan on what you want your jeep to be. you will save yourself lots of time and money if you research first

I will do my research. The whole reason for new springs are because of the 1" lean. Otherwise I wouldn't be doing anything. I figured If I HAVE to replace the springs I might as well go up a few inches. It would be nice if I didn have to replace the shocks, control arms ect though. Are there any lifted springs that don't requre that? Maybe 1 1/2" spring with a 1 1/4" body lift?

Ironhead 05-13-2013 11:01 AM

any lifted springs will require the appropriate shocks

mnm99 05-13-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead (Post 15427315)
any lifted springs will require the appropriate shocks

ok
:)

RowJ 05-13-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnm99 (Post 15427169)
.....The whole reason for new springs are because of the 1" lean......

If that's the only reason, and not bigger tires for future off roading, than I would do one thing first............
Get someone to measure lean when you are in drivers seat!
Mine leans 3/4" to passenger side. it's perfectly level with me driving it! :)

tyvanwie 05-13-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RowJ
If that's the only reason, and notr bigger tires for future off roading, than I would do one thing first............

Yeah it's supposed to sit level...

mnm99 05-13-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RowJ (Post 15427708)
If that's the only reason, and not bigger tires for future off roading, than I would do one thing first............

Well it's not the ONLY reason...:shhh: Gives me a reason for the wife too to replace the springs and go a little higher...:shhh:

mnm99 05-14-2013 05:29 AM

Talked to my friend again. Here's a little more info. The kit has around 25K on it. He doesnt have the Track bar bracket or Transfer case drop bracket. The springs have some rust on them (been sitting in a box) 4 control arms are good, bushings perfect, shocks look new. $200 for all. If I do this should I purchase front and rear track bar extensions and transfer case drop bracket? If so wheres a cheap place to get them?

Thanks

The time now is 04:02 AM.