Skyjacker Lift Install Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Skyjacker Lift Install Questions

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 02-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
Pappy1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Skyjacker Lift Install Questions

I'll be installing a Skyjacker lift on my '03 TJ next week. I was reading over the instructions and it doesn't say that a spring compressor is needed. Will the springs come out without compressing them? Also I heard a couple of years ago that the bushings in the Hydro shock weren't any good. Is that still a problem?

Pappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
ff33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yes they will come out w/o compressing them, you just need to droop the axle down far enough to get them out, your new springs I'm assuming are longer so when you go to put them on you will have to droop the axle a little further down as well.
Unread 02-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Pappy1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Got it! Thanks a bunch.
Unread 02-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
jabroni3411
2006 TJ Wrangler 

rent a spring compressor from auto zone, makes things a million times easier. ask me how i know

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sub-1k-build-1154310[/url]
jabroni3411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff33 View Post
Yes they will come out w/o compressing them, you just need to droop the axle down far enough to get them out
How do you know that without him telling you how much lift it is? Try doing that with 4-6" springs without spring compressors.
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive
TheBoogieman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy1 View Post
I'll be installing a Skyjacker lift on my '03 TJ next week. I was reading over the instructions and it doesn't say that a spring compressor is needed. Will the springs come out without compressing them? Also I heard a couple of years ago that the bushings in the Hydro shock weren't any good. Is that still a problem?
That depends on the lift size and the bushing thing was fixed years ago.If you're doing a 3" lift or more,rent (FREE)a set of coil STRUT compressors or it's going to be a PITA without disconnecting the control arms in the front.The rear is a piece of cake.
Unread 02-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
ff33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
How do you know that without him telling you how much lift it is? Try doing that with 4-6" springs without spring compressors.
For the part you quoted me on I was refering to him removing the stock springs since that is what most people are removing when they go for a lift, as far as putting new springs in I should have been more specific, and the above post cleared that up.
Unread 02-16-2011, 06:32 AM   #8
Pappy1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's a 3" lift, I understand what you guys are saying about no problem getting stock springs out but getting new springs in may need to be compressed if i can't getting axle dropped far enough. Thanks guys!
Unread 02-16-2011, 08:50 AM   #9
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy1 View Post
It's a 3" lift, I understand what you guys are saying about no problem getting stock springs out but getting new springs in may need to be compressed if i can't getting axle dropped far enough. Thanks guys!
The rears will go in no problem and the fronts should too.It never hurts to get the coil strut compressors just in case.
Unread 02-17-2011, 07:18 AM   #10
Pappy1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Alright Boogieman will do. I'll rent compressors before I "park" the jeep. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.