Skyjacker Hydro Shocks vs Rubicon Express Twin Tube Shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Skyjacker Hydro Shocks vs Rubicon Express Twin Tube Shocks

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-12-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
jbpdog

Skyjacker Hydro Shocks vs Rubicon Express Twin Tube Shocks

Which do you guys prefer for a 2.25" BB? Its one or the other, no other options.

Custom Sound System & 5% Window Tints
[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]
jbpdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've never ran both, so I can't give a comparison.

However, I did run SJ Hydros and I was happy with them. They ride pretty good, especially considering how cheap they are.

If you do go with the Hydros, consider the ones they list as fitting 3-4" of lift. Just double check your compressed measurement to make sure they are not too long. The shocks they advertise for 1-3" of lift are too short for 2" of lift.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2006, 01:47 PM   #3
woody-77
Vulcan FTW

2007 FSJ Cherokee 

I run Hydros and like them. Haven't ran RE.

Quote:
Thread deleted by Jerry Bransford
Reason: This was beyond human decency... posting about someone's girlfriend is ****ed up.
woody-77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2006, 01:47 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpdog
Which do you guys prefer for a 2.25" BB? Its one or the other, no other options.
The SJ shocks are also twin tube (the least expensive technology) shocks so there's not much, if any, difference between them. In other words, they are both twin-tube hydraulic shock absorbers that work the same way. I'd go with RE's just so you have their sticker and not Skyjacker's on them.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2006, 02:04 PM   #5
speedydave
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have the skyjackers and I am happy! I replaced the Dt3000's that came with my BB. They skyjackers ride much better.
speedydave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2006, 02:05 PM   #6
jbpdog

good call. Actually Jerry Im interested in hering your opinion on the 4wheel customs BB. Im going to order it up today, and I was just wondering what you thought about it vs. the REBB. I most likely going to add a BL down the line. Im also doing the first time install myself, so im a little nervous. Ive got the writeups so I should be ok. Im assuming that the only other alteration is some spacers on the tcase to drop it if I get vibes. Im interested in hearing what you have to ay becuase you always seem to pop up in every thread with some interesting and helpful notes. Thanks man!
http://www.4wheelcustoms.com/Products.asp?Cat=1208
Custom Sound System & 5% Window Tints
[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]
jbpdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2006, 02:59 PM   #7
04TJFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddave
I have the skyjackers and I am happy! I replaced the Dt3000's that came with my BB. They skyjackers ride much better.
I've been thinking of changing to the Hydro's myself. I'm just getting beat to death on these well maintianed MI roads. Did it make that big a difference?? How does it ride when you hit sharp ruts or potholes? Thanx for the help

Scott
[COLOR=black]Black Jeep Club Member #2004[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Jarhead Jeep Club Member #4[/COLOR]
Rubicon Express 2" Budget Boost
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Bushwacker Fender Flares
04TJFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2006, 04:15 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
gopinion on the 4wheel customs BB. Im going to order it up today, and I was just wondering what you thought about it vs. the REBB. I most likely going to add a BL down the line. Im also doing the first time install myself, so im a little nervous. Ive got the writeups so I should be ok. Im assuming that the only other alteration is some spacers on the tcase to drop it if I get vibes. Im interested in hearing what you have to ay becuase you always seem to pop up in every thread with some interesting and helpful notes. Thanks man!
Budget boost kits consisting of spacers will be pretty much the same whether they're from RE, 4Wheelcustoms, or others that sell budget boost kits. The only real difference is in what shocks are selected and the price so the kit from 4WheelCustoms looks as good as RE's does. There's only $6 or so difference so I'd go for whichever that including shipping was the cheapest.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2006, 09:52 PM   #9
paintballjerry

Quote:
good call. Actually Jerry Im interested in hering your opinion on the 4wheel customs BB. Im going to order it up today, and I was just wondering what you thought about it vs. the REBB. I most likely going to add a BL down the line. Im also doing the first time install myself, so im a little nervous. Ive got the writeups so I should be ok. Im assuming that the only other alteration is some spacers on the tcase to drop it if I get vibes. Im interested in hearing what you have to ay becuase you always seem to pop up in every thread with some interesting and helpful notes. Thanks man!

I bought the 2 1/4" skyjacker kit from 4 wheel customs. I got the nitros however. The ride is great and the kit went on real easy. Plus, those guys have great service. Ask Chris if he will throw in his spacers, they are a 1/4" taller than the Skyjacker ones ans just as good

Co-Ed Naked Jeeper Club Member #69

[QUOTE=charlescho]don;t ask here what MPG you will get with what tires etc, you will get your butt raped by the forum bullies[/QUOTE]
paintballjerry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.