skyjacker 2" suspension lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > skyjacker 2" suspension lift

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

skyjacker 2" suspension lift

i have an 04 tj with almost 50k miles on it, from what ive heard, my shocks are probably starting to wear down. i have an xrc8 winch and an xrc winch mount on the front and it weighed my front down 2". so, ive ordered two 2" coil spacers awhile back but never gotten to installing them. im interested in getting a 2" lift and if my shocks are wearing down and this lift kit will improve on/offroad handling, i would like to buy it. are there any other things i would need to buy for a 2" lift other than this?

Skyjacker Standard 2" Spacer Lift Kit with Hydro Shocks for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

and also, because of the winch, i want to stack the previous two spacers with the new skyjacker ones. ive heard that stacking them isnt a good idea because they can come apart, but what if i drilled and screwed them together or glued them with some heavy duty super glue?

thanks for the help guys!

04 TJ Sport- Kicker System, Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch, Cherry Bomb 18" Glasspack, 3" Zone Hydro Suspension Lift, 33x12.50 BFG KM2, 15x8 Procomp 7069, Aussie Locker front Dana 30, JKS 1.25" Body Lift, 4 100w Hella 500s
Tmblack3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
2001TJstudent
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Stacking them is never a good idea! Are you saying you already have 2" coil spacers under it and plan on putting another 2" spacer on top of that? 4" above the spring itself is a very bad idea. You risk a lot when not only stacking them up on top of eachother, but having that much above your spring. There is a reason you don't see and coil spacers over 2.5"
2001TJstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

ok, so would i need to buy lift springs for the front then that would even them out?

also, im assuming that its best to avoid coil spacers if possible, is this true?

the two spacers that i have can be used in the rear also, so, if i bought 4" lift springs for the front(they are sagging 2" from winch currently), that should even them out if i didnt use any spacers upfront and just used the 2" spacers in the back, right?

sorry for all the questions, just rather save money than spend it on things i dont need.

i can get 4 2" bump stops and 4" lift front springs for $182
04 TJ Sport- Kicker System, Smittybilt XRC-8 Winch, Cherry Bomb 18" Glasspack, 3" Zone Hydro Suspension Lift, 33x12.50 BFG KM2, 15x8 Procomp 7069, Aussie Locker front Dana 30, JKS 1.25" Body Lift, 4 100w Hella 500s

Last edited by Tmblack3; 07-07-2010 at 07:26 PM..
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
2001TJstudent
2001 TJ Wrangler 

All of my knowledge has come from constantly reading threads. I am by no means no mechanic but am pretty confident that spacers aren't dangerous at all or anything its just stacking them on top of each other. I plan on getting 2" spacers after I install my 2.5" RC lift. From what I've heard you dont need bumpstops??? I think I read that on rusty's website, but they aren't exactly known for their great customer service. I would try RC progressive springs. You can PM RCXtreme (I believe that's his username, you can search 2.5 RC lift and you will see him) and he will give you a 10% discount for being a JF member. The springs are supposed to be pretty good quality, reason I'm getting them, but it is all preference. If you can trust a 17 year old high school student, I would feel proud, but if you want reassurance, I would wait for more replies.
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

well im a 17 yr old highschooler myself lol. the springs i was gona get were Warrior:

WAR800001, Warrior Front Coil Springs (4, TJ)

just because they were the cheapest i could find, not gona change the rears, only got 50k on em.

and bump stops keep you from overflexing or hitting the wheel well when the suspension compresses, so they are very important. ive seen a video of a guy that was flexing up a ramp and flexed so much that one of his coil springs came out lol.

also mite get pro comp shocks after i do the lift, any suggestions?
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
2001TJstudent
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oh I've heard of that happening but didn't know that's what they were for. Thanks. Um, the saying is you get what you pay for. What I always do is search the forum and just type warrior springs and read any threads you find. or search best springs for the money or something. Shocks are almost always personal preferance. skyjacker has mixed reviews but they seem to ride VERY smooth and are only $36 each on Quandratec. Of course the top of the line shocks would be like bilsteins for $90 each. Shocks are mainly personal preference. On a tight budget I would go with the skyjacker or the pro comp. both decent. Also, don't forget you can always go with like a 1" body lift for the extra little clearance.
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

im not worried about tire clearance, and never plan on doing a body lift. i do too much road driving and fast offroad to sacrifice the increase in center of gravity. might go with skyjacker now that you have said that, i havent read much, just heard both the names in numerous offroad trucks.
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
2001TJstudent
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yea skyjacker is probably the most popular brand name shock. But if the warrior springs suit your needs, go for it! but i do recommend searching several times to get what you need. Our highschool budgets don't have room to buy something that won't work. I'm working full time right now for some 33" GY Duratracs and the 2.5" RC lift and adding about 1.5" spacers and a body lift
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you just need some shocks with a higher/stiffer spring rate. As I understand your post you added the winch after the springs wre already there? I'd just go with some higher spring rates and factor in whatever upgrades that may add weight in the future to find out what kind of rate you'll want. I'm in a boat similiar to this and have been researching the crap out of springs and shocks and whatnot. Good luck!
kuruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i dont plan on any weight adding mods anytime soon.

currently, my suspension is 100% stock, none replaced or anything. it all has almost 50k on it. front is sitting 2" lower than the rear, measuring from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender flare.
my family bought this jeep new and kept it 100% stock and it is now handed down to me so yes i have added everything myself.

the main thing i am trying to reassure is will the 4" lift springs up front show the same results as a 2" lift as far as ride height goes?
Unread 07-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

with the winch on there you should be about even with a 2 inch rear and 4 inch front as long as whatever springs you put in front are not super stiff. most people would do a 3 inch front spring with a .75 inch spacer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #12
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

do NOT stack 4" worth of spacers, horrible idea. if you want to lift the jeep, buy a spring lift. buy one consistent with your weight distribution and desires. OME makes nice 2.5" lifts with a variety of HD springs for TJs with winches and heavy accessories. also keep in mind all the other stuff that needs to happen when you lift a TJ....SYE, CV shaft, control arms, longer shocks, bumpstop extensions, track bars, etc. it aint just as simple as slapping some spacers on and calling it good.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #13
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
do NOT stack 4" worth of spacers, horrible idea. if you want to lift the jeep, buy a spring lift. buy one consistent with your weight distribution and desires. OME makes nice 2.5" lifts with a variety of HD springs for TJs with winches and heavy accessories. also keep in mind all the other stuff that needs to happen when you lift a TJ....SYE, CV shaft, control arms, longer shocks, bumpstop extensions, track bars, etc. it aint just as simple as slapping some spacers on and calling it good.
alot of that depends on how big of a lift he is going with and what his particular jeep demands (as you know all are different). 2 inch spacers, proper shocks and discos will keep up with a spring lift on stock arms any day of the week.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Unread 07-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #14
Tmblack3
2004 TJ Wrangler 

ya, i know with any more than 2" lift i would need more than just bump stops and spacers. i will probably get shocks later this summer. will the current shocks work with 2" lift?
Unread 07-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #15
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

they will but it rides like crap and you will get no down travel.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
skyjacker , 2" , suspension , lift , kit

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.