Skyjacker 2" Lift with Hydro Shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Skyjacker 2" Lift with Hydro Shocks

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
PSYCH0
2009 JK Wrangler 

Skyjacker 2" Lift with Hydro Shocks

Anyone use this lift or the Hydro shocks alone and have rubber bushing issues?

Had both top back shock bushings tear after 2 weeks... now I have to wait for replacements...

Any issues with running the shocks with ripped bushings other then the noise?

Unread 07-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I just installed that lift 2 weeks ago. Did you have previous experience with pressing in the bar pins and the busings into the shocks? Could you have damaged them during the instalation process? You use white grease (I use Windex, trick I learned on Superlift TV) or another lube to put them in?

My old ZJ build thread
Previous builds 99-XJ, 98-XJ, 89-XJ, 05-TJ, 95-ZJ, 79-J10
doogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
PSYCH0
2009 JK Wrangler 

I just got off the phone with Quadratec and they said Skyjacker had a bad batch of bushings (made too soft) and they are sending me all new bushings under warranty. They said this has been happening for the past 2 weeks. Keep an ear out for yours to go bad also.
Unread 07-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
shoelzl
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i had the hydros on my jeep same thing after two weeks all were shot instead of getting the bushings replaced under warrenty i had them exchange the shocks for a different brand no more rattle now and it rides smother
shoelzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
PSYCH0
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelzl View Post
i had the hydros on my jeep same thing after two weeks all were shot instead of getting the bushings replaced under warrenty i had them exchange the shocks for a different brand no more rattle now and it rides smother
What kind of shocks did you replace them with? Anything softer than the Hydro's?

Last edited by PSYCH0; 07-15-2008 at 07:55 PM..
PSYCH0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
Black Hole
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hydro's here with my 3" FT lift.....bushings went bad within 4 weeks. I'm in the process of changing to Energy Suspension bushings.....I'm not dealing with the BS for $10 worth of bushings.
'00 Black Sahara - 3" FT lift, Skyjacker Hydros, 33x12.5 DC Mud Country's on 15x8 Eagle Alloy 058's, LoD Extreme bumpers and tire carrier, Sony/Polk/MTX/Kicker sound, Bestop/Tuffy storage, etc... just sold
'04 Black Cherry Harley Davidson VRSCB V-Rod
'00 Black Cherokee Sport
'01 Black Cadillac Catera Sport
Black Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 07:45 AM   #7
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickBoy View Post
I just got off the phone with Quadratec and they said Skyjacker had a bad batch of bushings (made too soft) and they are sending me all new bushings under warranty. They said this has been happening for the past 2 weeks. Keep an ear out for yours to go bad also.
How long you ago did you order yours. Mines been sitting in my living room in the box for 3 or 4 months. Yeah yeah I know that's crazy but I couldn't figure out what else I was doing to the Jeep and I didn't want to throw on the BB without a plan.

My old ZJ build thread
Previous builds 99-XJ, 98-XJ, 89-XJ, 05-TJ, 95-ZJ, 79-J10
doogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 08:14 AM   #8
OzarkOutdoors
2008 JK Wrangler 

I too installed a BB and went with the Hydro shocks and within 7 miles the rattle began....After crawling underneath and seeing nothing immediately wrong assumed it was my homemade disconnects making the noise and drove on to work.

Once home I couldn't take the freaking rattle any longer, put the original bolts back in the sway bar and drove to the store. First bump it rattled more than the breathing of a 80 year old who had smoked most his life. I crawled under it again and STILL not seeing damage to the bushings grabbed the front passenger side shock and shook it hard! It was the front UPPER bushings--nearly gone on the passenger side and halfway gone on the drivers side. . These were not the result of forcing the pin through the bushing so we can't blame it on that.

I had little pieces of red rubber on the floor of my garage where they had fallen out (later I found a couple in my parking spot at work as well)--The remaining upper bushings had the consistency of a pencil eraser and crumbled easily in my hands.

I had read many posts and tried to replace the bushings before the install and was unable to locate any locally. A call to the factory connected me to an unapologetic representative of the company (explained to him it was my daily driver) and although he promised to get them in the mail to me that day, offered no explanation and didn't seem a bit surprised that it happened in the first place. No sorry, no gonna rush it out to you, no peace offering of a free t shirt, nothing.

My question is that since this a known issue, why don't they replace them before they go out? I'm sure QC knows what batch has the bad bushings went out in why don't they fix them THEN and avoid bad press?

In the mean time, my jeep isn't drivable in it's current state and Skyjacker couldn't give a hoot about me getting to work. Although so far I'm pleased with the ride of these shocks I would offer this advice...
  • Order your Hydro Shocks
  • Turn right around and call Skyjacker and tell them your bushings are crap and need to be replaced
  • Wait until your new bushings arrive and put them in place of the originals

Just my two cents.

2008 Black JK Sahara Unlimited-Current Vehicle
325/70/17 Falken Wild Peak AT XD Addicts
2.5 inch BB, 1.25 RC Body Lift, Dual Top
s
OzarkOutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 08:32 AM   #9
silverjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Man, I need to check mine. I just put some of those on 3 months ago. When I installed my rear shocks. My lower bushings looked squished and not right. Like a frog throat for example squishing out from one side. They seemed way to soft for the torque specs. 75 footlbs I believe. Energy suspension I think is the way to go.

www.my4x4source.com Jeep parts and accessories
silverjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 08:34 AM   #10
silverjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Anyone have a link to where they purchased their Energy Suspension bushings for the Skyjacker Hydro Shocks???

www.my4x4source.com Jeep parts and accessories
silverjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 08:39 AM   #11
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverjeep View Post
Anyone have a link to where they purchased their Energy Suspension bushings for the Skyjacker Hydro Shocks???
Autozone is where I got mine. 5.99/pair. SJ sent me the replacements, but I won't use them unless I have to (don't trust them). Do a search on Polyeurethane Bushings and you'll find other threads on this known problem.

The SJ rep I got a hold of (Chuck) was very apologetic....had the bushings to me in a couple of days.

BUILD:
Rubi Rocker Guards; 32" Mastercraft MTs; Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift; JKS Quick Discos; JKS Front & Rear Adj Trackbars; JKS Ex Rear Swaybar links; Zone Nitro Shocks; 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers; Poison Spyder Evap Skid; Cobra 75WXST; 3' Firestick quick disco; Rugged Ridge XHD Fr Bumper; Tuffy Underseat Drawer; 6" KC Long Range Hilites; Superchips Flashpaq, Crown Extended brake lines

WISH LIST: Front LCAs, Winch, 6" KC Driving Lights, Deep Cycle Battery
Morgen251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 09:17 AM   #12
the mad hatter
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgen251 View Post
Autozone is where I got mine. 5.99/pair.
Are these the 'universal' fit ones?

My bushings seem fine so far, but I might pick some of these up just in case they break apart this weekend when we go on a wheeling trip.
the mad hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 09:18 AM   #13
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mad hatter View Post
Are these the 'universal' fit ones?

My bushings seem fine so far, but I might pick some of these up just in case they break apart this weekend when we go on a wheeling trip.
Not vehicle specific, and I know they fit the SJ shocks from experience.

BUILD:
Rubi Rocker Guards; 32" Mastercraft MTs; Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift; JKS Quick Discos; JKS Front & Rear Adj Trackbars; JKS Ex Rear Swaybar links; Zone Nitro Shocks; 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers; Poison Spyder Evap Skid; Cobra 75WXST; 3' Firestick quick disco; Rugged Ridge XHD Fr Bumper; Tuffy Underseat Drawer; 6" KC Long Range Hilites; Superchips Flashpaq, Crown Extended brake lines

WISH LIST: Front LCAs, Winch, 6" KC Driving Lights, Deep Cycle Battery
Morgen251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 09:26 AM   #14
alexr40
1998 TJ Wrangler 

my skyjackers bushings broke after a few miles of usage. replaced them with energy suspension polyurethane ones on the rear and regular rubber on the front, until i get my front polys .

2005 WK Limited 4.7L - 4x4 (QT-II)
2" RC Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME Rear Shocks, Saguaro Shackle Mounts, Mopar OEM Hitch
alexr40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 09:31 AM   #15
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've had mine for a little over a year, never had a problem. There have been a few posts about bad bushings lately though.
djt283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.