Skidplate Reattachment Opinions Please - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 09-21-2017, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
CarmenS
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Skidplate Reattachment Opinions Please

My son and I have owned a 1999 Wrangler Sport since its birth. It is in great shape however last week I noticed the right side of the skidplate had fallen away from the frame. The frame rusted through. I considered buying a frame repair piece and having it welded in place however the cost was estimated here in Cincinnati at $1000 - $1500. Since I only use the Wrangler around the city as a second car I tried a repair of my own design. Cost was about $30. I am asking for any and all opinions as to the serviceability of the "fix". The photos will show the problem and the repair. I wrapped three 3/8" U-bolts around the frame and fabricated supporting straps. As you can see they are not exactly placed evenly because of the frame and skidplate design but they are evenly tight. It required drilling a three holes in the plate but the whole job now that I know how to do it would take only a couple of hours. Thanks for any comments or replies.

Attached Thumbnails
before_fix2.jpg   fix_1.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-21-2017, 07:35 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't run like that. You're pulling up on the skid by putting pressure just on three spots of the lip on the edge of the skid. I don't see how that is putting proper clamping force of the skid to the frame. I would be afraid it would either shift or bend that lip and become loose. But, that's just me...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #3 of 24 Old 09-21-2017, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
CarmenS
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I agree that it would need watching. In the last 5 years I have averaged less than 2000 easy miles per year. I can't see that it's not worth a try and keep an eye on it. At 18 years old now I don't know what other big $$ things are going to come up to bite me. Thanks again.

post #4 of 24 Old 09-21-2017, 09:55 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

As something temporary to get around with no long trips or stress, I'd probably live with it. But in no way would I be happy with it for any extended period of time. And I'd be worried about the rest of my frame also.
post #5 of 24 Old 09-21-2017, 12:30 PM
rsurran
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How about a gap filler between the skid plate and the clamp so the clamp is not stressing the lip? Visualize a 2x4 or similar bar of aluminum. That would spread the clamping force evenly and not only on the lip. I would also be worried about the lip bending and the clamps coming loose.

2005 WK, 5.7L, Gold, Leather
2003 TJ 4.0L Freedom Edition, Flame Red, 5 spd., CAI, Warn, stinger, Hella/KC trail lights.

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
post #6 of 24 Old 09-21-2017, 01:51 PM
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

As a quick fix I'd remove the original bolts, drill corresponding holes in the top of the frame and bolt through using appropriate hardware.
post #7 of 24 Old 09-21-2017, 02:00 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
As a quick fix I'd remove the original bolts, drill corresponding holes in the top of the frame and bolt through using appropriate hardware.
With those holes in the frame he's not going to get any real clamping force fit. Even leaving aside the issue of the dead space in the frame (which is why we don't through bolt there generally) there is no faying surface left.
post #8 of 24 Old 09-21-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
CarmenS
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Good idea. Since I could not get the original bolts out perhaps an aluminum strip with holes drilled for the bolt heads. If I see any stress on the lip of the plate I will do that. Thanks.
post #9 of 24 Old 09-21-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
CarmenS
1999 TJ Wrangler 

"As a quick fix I'd remove the original bolts, drill corresponding holes in the top of the frame and bolt through using appropriate hardware."

I was aware of that fix but could not remove the bolts and did not want to deal with the limited space above the frame I had just enough room for the 3/8" U-bolts. Thanks.
post #10 of 24 Old 09-21-2017, 03:41 PM
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmenS View Post
It is in great shape
Based on the photos you've provided, I will have to disagree with your assessment.

Given the estimate you received I would be inclined to ask around to other shops to see if you can get better quotes. Alternatively, you could inquire of any local offroading clubs if there are any members who have the capability and willingness to help repair your frame. Conversely, for the cost of your original estimate you could pick up a welder and fix it yourself. In the long run having access to a welder and the skills to use one will by far be your best investment as I can pretty well guarantee the rest of your frame will also be needing attention sooner rather than later.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #11 of 24 Old 09-22-2017, 10:54 PM
WeezyBlue
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That factory skid, as wimpy as it is, does provide structural integrity to the frame. The U bolts may hold the skid up but I don't think it's doing much for rigidity in a lateral sense, not to mention the torque it sees from the trans mount.

I don't think that's a terrible fix to get it from A to B to get it fixed properly. I'd seriously inspect the rest of the frame to decide if it's worth fixing it there just to have problems later, or buy another clean frame now. They sometimes sell for a steal

KD8UCX
05 TJ Rubicon DD
82 Wagoneer Limited WIP
06 TJ SE Sold
post #12 of 24 Old 09-23-2017, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
CarmenS
1999 TJ Wrangler 

"Based on the photos you've provided, I will have to disagree with your assessment."
Mukluk you made me smile! You are right beauty is in the eye of the beholder. About the estimate I think it is probably correct. The ART-131 frame piece is a few hundred, a new skid plate since the bolts are rusted in and probably on the left side as well is another couple of hundred. Then the welding labor (the outside is no problem it is the inside that requires removal of the exhaust system that makes it tough) is the skill needed. At 75 years of age I don't think I'm going to acquire that new skill. Thanks for your input.
post #13 of 24 Old 09-23-2017, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
CarmenS
1999 TJ Wrangler 

"or buy another clean frame now. They sometimes sell for a steal"

Never thought past a fix at the spot, I'll check locally, thanks.
post #14 of 24 Old 09-23-2017, 08:14 AM
JimSmith
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBlue View Post
or buy another clean frame now. They sometimes sell for a steal
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmenS View Post
Never thought past a fix at the spot, I'll check locally, thanks.
Check Davey's Jeep
http://www.daveysjeeps.com/index.html

If you do buy a frame from a junkyard or a private seller be sure it's square, straight, and not tweaked, look for rust in and out of the frame tubes, and that all the brackets are there and straight, holes not oval-ed out.
No sense in spending the money to end up with scrap metal or do all that work to have to do it again in 5 to 10 years.

'98 Chili Pepper 2.5, AX5, 33x12.5x15, 5.13, D30 Aussie, Super 35
post #15 of 24 Old 09-23-2017, 09:05 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
I wouldn't run like that.
x3. I'd only do that so I could get the skid held up enough to pull it onto a flatbed tow truck....

wthe engine torque and trans movement while driving is going to have that frame twisting like crazy and the skid moving all over. I wouldn't be surprised if that low grade hardware breaks in short order.

It would have been better to weld the skid to the frame with a few beads for a short term fix....

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.