skid row radiator skid plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > skid row radiator skid plate

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-20-2006, 07:15 AM   #1
victory red
2012 JK Wrangler 

skid row radiator skid plate

worth it? how was the install?

Unread 12-20-2006, 08:02 AM   #2
jeeptj19992001

ya it could be worth it...just a few bolts
Unread 12-20-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
bruce062
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think that radiator skids are needed. I'd go to Extreme Metal Products, usually on ebay. I've got their gas tank skid, steering skid and radiator skid, and they are really well built and cheaper than others.
Unread 12-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #4
bandit222

i haven't put my EMP radiator skid on yet but it's a solid, impressive looking piece of steel.
Unread 12-20-2006, 10:54 AM   #5
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I recently installed a Rusty's radiator skid after I had to replace the radiator on my '06 TJ.

The install was fairly easy. It took about twenty minutes once I figured out that I had to turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, then to the right, to get it to fit in place (the steering is in the way if the wheel is straight). It was about $70 with shipping.

http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/m...y_Code=tj_skid

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
ROUGHSHOD
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie
the steering is in the way if the wheel is straight
I just installed this also but didn't have any issues with the wheel being straight It was a tight fit but I got it in just fine.
I looked at the SkidRow skid also but chose Rusty's simply because it offers more coverage.
ROUGHSHOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 08:38 PM   #7
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

good to know, i was looking into getting one of these too

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 08:48 PM   #8
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've seen a few pics of someone that took their old front bumper and made a radiator skid from it. Might be something to think about. Granted I havent checked out the prices of those skids, so it might not be worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2006, 11:23 PM   #9
SurfnSnow
2010 JK Wrangler 

I've had the skid row radiator skid plate for a while and the install took no more than 1/2 an hour and super easy to install. It uses the front body mount and uses a self tapping bolt to the front cross member. So far it's held up to some good whacks with no bends or damage. For the price it's good cheap insurance. I did a review on it, here's the link:
Review
SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 06:26 AM   #10
SpitNine

More Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGHSHOD
I just installed this also but didn't have any issues with the wheel being straight It was a tight fit but I got it in just fine.
I looked at the SkidRow skid also but chose Rusty's simply because it offers more coverage.
I agree. The Rusty's skid has a lot more coverage.
However, mine would not fit over the rubber body mount of my 2003 SE. I had to take the skid to a machine shop and enlarge the big hole in the skid about 1/16".
It was a major pain but once I enlarged the hole, the skid fit fine.
Thanks.
Garvin Wilderness Front and Rear Bumpers
It's only a machine. You can love it if you want but it will not love you back. VOTE!
SpitNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 07:01 AM   #11
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGHSHOD
I went and took a picture. This is with the wheels straight. The steering is super close to the skid. It just barley clears it, so I had to turn the wheels left and right to get the skid in place. But it did fit!

I was amazed while installing the skid how exposed the radiator was! Oops!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 07:48 AM   #12
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

The Rusty's Radiator Skid seemed questionable before the install being that there was small clearance. After installing it I realized how well made it was, good and perfect fit and no issues with steering. I've learned that after-market Jeep parts do not fit this well.

I chose the Skid Row engine skid due to its design and fit, as well as the stout construction. The only pain was to drill 3 holes. Don't forget the LCA skids from Skid Row -- I have rock damages from Moab and the LCA skid saved the day.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 07:50 AM   #13
dionysius
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've got to stop browsing this forum, its costing me too much! I just ordered Rusty's radiator skid, I do like how it offers more coverage than the others. Yeah, the bottom of the radiator is just waiting to get holed by something and it's plastic no less.

Denis
Unread 12-21-2006, 09:29 AM   #14
yellj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstrike
Don't forget the LCA skids from Skid Row -- I have rock damages from Moab and the LCA skid saved the day.
Good skids to have, but get weld on ones, about half the price including the installation, plus it will strengthen the mount by boxing it. I like thier marketing touting that these skids are portable as you change Jeeps, these skids get beat to heck, probably not much left to transfer after wheeling for a couple years, plus if you have a buddy that can weld you can get 4 sets of weld ons for the price of thier bolt ons.
04 Unlimited RE SF 4.5", 1" MORE BL and MML, ARB Bull Bar, AR23 15x8, 35x12.5 MTRs, Jeep Medic Engine and T/F Skid, Shrockworks Rockers, Warn 9.5ti, AA SYE, ARBs, 4.88s and Alloy USA Shafts, HPD30 w JJs 1967 M416

www.midatlanticjeepers.com
yellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 11:19 AM   #15
ROUGHSHOD
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie
I went and took a picture. This is with the wheels straight. The steering is super close to the skid. It just barley clears it, so I had to turn the wheels left and right to get the skid in place. But it did fit!

I was amazed while installing the skid how exposed the radiator was! Oops!

Great pics! Very easy to see just how close the fit is. When I first got things put together I was surprised at how close to the castellated nut the skid actually sits. I'm still kinda wondering why they don't just make 'em with a little notch there?
ROUGHSHOD is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.