single cardan vs. double cardan u-joint? Adjustable track bar compatibility? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > single cardan vs. double cardan u-joint? Adjustable track bar compatibility?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
Mr. Tarmac

single cardan vs. double cardan u-joint? Adjustable track bar compatibility?

I was looking at rear adjustable track bars on the JKS web site.

http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/me...bar_Components

The notes for the track bars have these comments"

"4Vehicle must be equipped with CV-type rear driveshaft w/double cardan U-joint."

"7Vehicle must be equipped with slip yoke-type rear driveshaft w/ single cardan U-joint."

I've also seen RE's track bar brackets come in an angled for CV joints, and a straight version for slip yolk type. So my question is this: Why does the CV shaft require a different geometry track bar or bracket? The pinion angle is defined by the upper and lower control arms (which are fixed on stock TJ's). The track bar has no impact on this angle, so what difference does it make which track bar or bracket you use?

Mr. Tarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
Nikos
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you have a CV (or double cardan) rear driveshaft you have to change the pinion angle. (in order to do that you need upper rear adjustable arms). the track bar and bracket you mentioned are working great with the new angle. if you don't have cv shaft you don't need the "special" track bar or bracket.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.