Silverstone Metallic touch-up paint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Silverstone Metallic touch-up paint

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-23-2008, 06:38 AM   #1
jcssurf
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Silverstone Metallic touch-up paint

UGHHHHHH

So I realized that I can't get this color in the stores. My paint code is PS5 (on the 2002, not the 2004) and I looked it up and ordered it through a mopar parts place. The paint comes and looks too dark, but I figured it might look right when it dries. But nope: it's waaaaaaay off and about 5 shades too dark. Nowhere close.

So I'm thinking that they sent me the wrong paint, but I look up the part number on another mopar paint site and it checks out as PS5, Silverstone Metallic.

I also tried a Chrysler color that looked close from Autozone...but it's way too light. So now that's two wrong colors on my scratches on the Jeep I'm trying to sell.

I was going to go to the dealer at lunch today, but I'm worried they'll give me the same tube of the dark color if that's what their parts list shows.

Has anyone been able to find touch-up paint in this color and do you have a PN? What am I missing?

The Unlimiteds shall inherit the earth.
jcssurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
jcssurf
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Help! Lunch break in two hours!

I'll probably go to Jeep anyways, and tell them my dilemma. Maybe I got a bad batch or something.

Unread 06-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
MeltdWhiskey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i have the same color and every batch of touch up paint i've used doesn't even come close to matching.
MeltdWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2008, 08:17 AM   #4
attackcammel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

mix the dark and light together and wala u got a color in the middle maybe you're color
attackcammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
jh9821
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I use Duplicolor NG GM 340 (Silver Metallic) for my 2003 Silver TJ and it is a spot-on perfect shade. I bought it at either Autozone or O'Reillys Autoparts. Maybe even NAPA. I cannot remember it has been a while.
jh9821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2008, 09:09 AM   #6
jcssurf
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I think 2003 is the bright silver...I have the dark silver grey. I'll check into that.

I actually thought about mixing them...I'm not sure how it will come out, but it can't be much worse.

Unread 06-23-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same color as you. I gave up on touch-up paint a while back for the same reason. (And yes, 03+ is bright silver metallic). I use PS4 for scratches that are deep enough to rust. It doesn't match though.

When I was looking into getting doors painted, two different people on here said they had it done at a shop and each shop had to order multiple paints and make the matching color themselves. One person also said that each batch of PS5 they bought was a different color.

Sorry that's not much help, it just seems the color is almost impossible to get in the right shade.
djt283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
jcssurf
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I repeat my earlier "uggggggh".

It sucks because I'm trying to sell it and I just made the small dings look worse with the darker paint.

Unread 06-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
jcssurf
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The dealer confirmed that my PN was right and said "It's not supposed to match, just be close". I told them it was NIGHT AND DAY different and they said "my paint was probably old and had gotten darker" and offered to sell me another one (same PN, wrong color) for 15$. I said "no thanks" and I'm going to try to mix my own.

I'm blown away that Chrysler doesn't carry/make its own touch-up paint. These kinds of things are why people don't buy American cars.

Unread 06-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #10
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Any decent body shop will be able to paint and match it. (they wont make you touch up paint though)
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.