Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Silverjeep LJ LCG Jeep build journal

118K views 408 replies 80 participants last post by  silverjeep 
#1 · (Edited)
After reading several other builds, I thought others might enjoy reading what I have done to my Jeep. I find it inspirational to read others progress. I am not nearly as talented as some of the other builders but what I lack in skill I have in determination. I'll attempt any project.

I started off by buying a silver 06 Wrangler Unlimited used from a local dealership. It had 8,000 miles when I bought it. Here she is bone stock.

Due to my limited budget I slowly purchased a budget boost by Trailmaster(BB), a JKS 1.25 BL and some Mickey Thompson MTZ tires. Size 33/12.5/15. It took 6 months to get all tires, the BB and BL. I tell my wife how could my jeep budget be limited? I drive an unlimited and it needs an unlimited budget. She says :nono:

I used to go to the local truck accessory store and purchase 1 tire at a time until I got all 5. I rode around with no spare for a couple months until I could afford the spare. Here's she is strait out of the garage. Quite an improvement I thought.

See less See more
#2 ·
I was running stock shocks for a while. I finally decided to upgrade to some Skyjacker Hydros. I went with longer shocks anticipating going to a 4" lift. Things have changed since I'm now going for the LCG style build. THis is basically the shocks I bought. This pic is not mine though.

The problem with running longer shocks was I kept throwing springs when flexing. So I found some coil spring retaining clips from Rusty's to keep my factory springs in. They are very stout and came with a self tapping screw. An easy 10 min install. They worked like a charm.

#4 ·
Before my first time out wheeling a buddy gave me some Rubicon rocker guards. Something told me I needed to install these before I went out. I was very glad I had these. I came down on the rockers so many times. Rocker guards are a must have. These are mine.

Here are some picks of my first time out.

Flexing out

#6 ·
After my second trip out I was hooked. After getting stuck a few times I needed a locker. Since I had limited slip in the rear axle I figured I would start with an Aussie Locker in the front D30. I went with the Aussie for it's reputation and cost. I ordered on from Northridge and installed it my self. I had a real tough time due to the lack of proper tools. The locker eventually was installed and I couldn't wait to test it. Sorry, I have no pictures of the install. The locker ended working great. Steering was a little stiffer. It felt like I could go up anything on the trail. I could easily get in trouble with this thing.

Here's some picks out with the Austin Jeep Exclusive Club. This is the trip where I kept getting stuck and convinced myself to get a locker.

Here you can see me spinning and getting nowhere.

Downside to owning an LJ.

I managed to make a bridge on this gap

Another BB flex shot

#7 ·
Weary of placing my spare on my tailgate due to weight, I elected to get a swingout tire carrier. I shopped around for several weeks and ended ordering a Xtreme duty bumper and swingout tire carrier from LOD offroad. They had a good price and it said it could hold up to a 37" tire. I figured that should hold my 33" tire easily.

The "Brown Santa" delivered the box when I was out in LA looking for work. I didn't open it for a few weeks. I thought I may have to unload it to buy food since I was out of work. After seeing it everyday in the corner of the garage I opened it when my wife wasn't looking.

This bumper is stout and pretty easy to install. Easy with two people. Finally, I have a spare that doesn't take up my space in the back.

After the install I got some great ideas from the JF. I installed this 3rd brake light by recycling the factory brake light. I made it tall to accommodate a 37" tire. JUST IN CASE.

#8 ·
After two years of riding with a BB spacer lift. I decided that I wanted to move to full size springs. Since I no longer wanted the 4" lift, the Rough Country 2.5 lift would be an affordable way to go. I was ready to order off of the forum when I found a new kit on Craigslist. I picked it up minus the front 2.2 shocks from a local guy that actually bought it from the RC vendor on the JF. The kit was pretty easy to install. My wife helped out a bunch. I couldn't have done it without her. She likes to wrench every now and then.

I had a really hard time getting the passenger rear lower shock mount to go in. When I installed my Skyjacker Hydros I torqued them to spec but it was so tight that the bushings were squeezing out and it actually squeezed the shock bracket. I had to reopend the bracket a little and us some force to get it in. FUSTRATING. I love the ride and the look of the the new kit. No more BB for me. Now for some TNT tube fenders before the 33's wear out. Prepping for 35's. Here's picks of the new lift.

#9 ·
So I finally ditched the magnet CB antenna and got a firestik with some money my mom gave me for my birthday. That sounds funny considering I'm 34. :)

I had the antenna for a few months until I decided where to place it and with what kind of mount to use. I finally found what I was looking for at a local CB shop.

I decided to place it on the swing out part of the bumper. My first choice made the antenna hit the tail light. I like the location since it move the antenna out of the way when I'm putting stuff in the back. I also used a tie wrap at the top of the carrier to prevent the antenna from hitting. I still need to address how the wire is coming from the CB to the antenna. This will work for this weekends wheeling trip to Cline Ranch. Here's some pics.

Mounting

Swing Open

Swing Closed

#13 ·
Looking good man! Keep us updated, and I as well, hope the job market has been better for you.

#24 ·
#19 ·
I bent my stock bumper on the passenger side at Hidden Falls. After checking out a thread with modified stock bumpers, I got inspired and found a perfect subject to test out my new HF cutter and grinder. I would like a better bumper and plan on building one as my first welding project until then this will work.

Shorty Bumper

It still needs paint on the cuts.

The next day I felt the need to cut something else. I saw how long the tail pipe stuck out the back of my LJ. I have seen postings where the tail pipe gets pushed and kinked up. So I decided to cut it a little shorter. Now the gas tank will help prevent the tail pipe from getting crushed.

#20 ·
Nice looking LJ, keep up the good work.

#21 ·
Since I'm still in recovery mode from being out of work for 10 months I can't really spend the money I would like too. Yet, the desire for me to work on my Jeep has not subsided. Today I decided to finish the install of my power inverter. This thing has been sitting on the shelf and I figure it would come in handy one day.

When I purchased my LJ from the stealership It was missing a plastic panel that goes by the passengers feet. This made for a great location to install the power inverter and to cover up the eye sore.

The inverter I have has a switch that allows you to turn it on and off so it won't run all the time. It also has two outlets and a fuse for each outlet for safety. It also has a overload switch that will turn it off if I get to ambitious with my appliances.

Here's a pick of the inverter screwed into the Jeeps body by the passengers feet.

I had trouble finding a existing place to run my power wires through. So I drilled a hole in the firewall large enough to fit the two wires through. I may need to waterproof this.

After I drilled the hole thru the firewall I used some silver touch up paint (I got at walmart) around the newly drilled hole.

I touched up some other areas while I had the paint out.

Here's a pick of all the wires going to my battery. The red one is the new inverter. The wires in the pic belong to inverter, air pump, amp. I may need a fuse block to keep this clean.

All done! :) Power light is on.

I plugged in my laptop to test it out. My laptop tray icon showed me that it was getting AC current. :) Excellent. Now I can charge my iphone and laptop where ever I drive.

Hopefully I can get some real upgrades soon. Thanks.

#22 ·
Hey man nice jeep. When yo usaid you got longer shocks, do you mean you have the skyjacker shocks listed for 3-5" or what ever the length greater than the 2" shocks? Have you had any problems with those shocks? i am considering getting the longer ones when i get new shocks and i'm at 2-2.5" suspension lift too.

#23 ·
Hey Jeepbro,

Ya, when I installed my BB I wanted to get new shocks. I knew when I was going to eventually get a full larger lift. So I went with a larger shock to avoid having to buy them again. I had no problems on road but offroad my shock travel was to much. My stock springs would fall out all the time. PITA. Some 10 dollar Rustys Offroad spring retainers fixed this problem. I eventually upgraded to RC springs and shocks. That's an other story.

#28 ·
Awesome thanks for the info, i have a full skyjacker 2-2.5" spring lift now and the shocks on it are an extreme limiting factor for flex, my coils are not even close to full extension when my shocks are so i wanted to try the 4" lift shocks from skyjacker but didnt want it to bottom all the time. I'll probably get those spring retainers too just to be safe, as well as possibly some .75" spacers just to be sure because I think its currently just a little less that 2" with a winch and armor on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.