significant gas smell....help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > significant gas smell....help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-22-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
PatTJ05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

significant gas smell....help!

When I go out to the garage to head out in the morning, I can smell a gasoline smell in the front entryway before I even get into the garage. In the garage, the smell is extremely obvious.
I checked all around for leaks....found none.
Looked at the throttle bottle area, found nothing.

Drove to work today thinking I was gonna catch fire anytime, but didn't. Went to lunch in it, and still had the smell in the cab, but still no visible leaks.

I've had this Jeep for about a month and a half, and it just started doing this...any ideas?

I think after work, I am just gonna head to the dealership and see what they have to say, but would still appreciate any help.
Patrick

PatTJ05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
Piratejonh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Im having a similar problem. No leaks anywhere. Strong fuel smell. From my searches and research I'm leaning towards a faulty Charcoal cannister purge valve. If you mildly mechanically inclined its a simple check. (Ps I have a 97 TJ 4.o so it may or may not be similar)
Unread 02-22-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
Bhelliom
1998 TJ Wrangler 

stupid idea... but I'm a stupid guy and did it myself... did you remember to put your gas cap back on last time you filled up?

I forgot once....
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Old Guy Jeep Club #1026[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Canadian[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]Jeep[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]Club[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]Member[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]#1026[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=schitzangiggles] But since you are barely able to vote, are younger than some of my socks and as inteligent as the fecal droppings from a retarded Chimpanzee you go right ahead and keep on keepin on. [/QUOTE] - Posted in response to a moron wheeling illegally.
Bhelliom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2007, 03:17 PM   #4
PatTJ05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelliom
stupid idea... but I'm a stupid guy and did it myself... did you remember to put your gas cap back on last time you filled up?

I forgot once....
heh heh.... no, that is not the problem.
PatTJ05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2007, 03:19 PM   #5
Bhelliom
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatTJ05
heh heh.... no, that is not the problem.

Damn. I was hoping that I wasn't the only moron
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Old Guy Jeep Club #1026[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Canadian[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]Jeep[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]Club[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]Member[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]#1026[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=schitzangiggles] But since you are barely able to vote, are younger than some of my socks and as inteligent as the fecal droppings from a retarded Chimpanzee you go right ahead and keep on keepin on. [/QUOTE] - Posted in response to a moron wheeling illegally.
Bhelliom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
Piratejonh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Don't feel too bad. My cap was broke and I never noticed until I started trying to fix the problem. Unfortunately that wasn't it.
Unread 02-22-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
redvett94

Your truck is under warrenty just take it in.
Unread 02-22-2007, 04:20 PM   #8
fatabbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelliom
Damn. I was hoping that I wasn't the only moron
I've driven off with the gas station pump still in the car. Too much partying the night before.

So I'm an even bigger moron
fatabbot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #9
06WranglerX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had something very similar happen twice to me in the same car, rotted through fuel lines in two places, didnt have any gas on the floor of the garage and no signs under the car, the smell was also strong when driving the car, luckey or unluckey depending on how you look at it i checked under the car upon arriving to work when i really noticed the smell and saw some coming out. Second time it happened i knew what it was, guy who was fixing the car didnt replace all the lines and thought the further back one was fine, three weeks later it wasnt fine.....Needless to say sounds like you got a holein the lines and your leaking gas.

People need to be a little more trusting, Its not like we are on a convict and rapist forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

06 Red Wrangler X 6 speed hard top
Ford 8.8 Detroit locked, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch BFG KM2's and some other stuff.
06WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.