Significant differences between a 98 and 2001? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Significant differences between a 98 and 2001?

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-30-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
Z0RR0

Significant differences between a 98 and 2001?

I'm still shopping for a TJ, and have aother reason to be undecided.

I can find some early TJs (1997, 1998) with low miles (30-50k), used as a sunday car that have been stored during our long canadian winter, or for a grand or 2 more, I can find the same miles on a 2001 ... not much more money ... but a grand saved still gets me a nice set of tires

I'm thinking the babied older TJs are a good deal since they should have no rust, and most likely never off-roaded. But am I bound to have problems, considering the 3-4 extra years? Problems such as the A/C leaking, or dry coolant hoses or seals, dry/cracked soft top ... or whatever. Stuff that just does not age well, basically.

Am I right? Wrong? Missing something?

Z0RR0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
hikerpaddler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Knock on wood, I have a 98 that I have racked up over 100K on, and it runs like a top.
hikerpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

TJs are tough, I wouldn't worry too much about it. As far as changes that were made, check out this link:

http://www.geocities.com/jeepboy49028/changes.html

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
RMeak
1955 CJ5 

On of the biggest things you will find with '00 and later TJ's with the 4.0 is the problems that the earlier 4.0's had with exhaust manifolds cracking wasw solved. Also with the '00 and later models the 4.0 went with a distributorless ignition. Like Rocky529 mentioned the site he posted has good info on optionss, colors and other things but the mechanics in my opinion are a big deal. Also I believe it was '01 when the sailcloth top was introduced.
Unread 04-30-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
Z0RR0

I should've mentioned, I'm looking at 4-bangers only ... yeah, call me crazy, I know.

Sailcloth top is definitely a plus, I must say.

As for colors, it's no biggie. 99.9% of the TJs I see for sale are black ... and I hate black cars! So I may just end up wrapping the whole thing. Protect the body, and have a decent color ... perfect.
Unread 04-30-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0RR0
I should've mentioned, I'm looking at 4-bangers only ... yeah, call me crazy, I know.

Sailcloth top is definitely a plus, I must say.

As for colors, it's no biggie. 99.9% of the TJs I see for sale are black ... and I hate black cars! So I may just end up wrapping the whole thing. Protect the body, and have a decent color ... perfect.
Why do you want a 4 cylinder?

Sailcloth only comes on 2001+ Wranglers. You can always buy a sailcloth RAT for about $500 if you get a pre-2001 Wrangler.

Unread 04-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #7
RMeak
1955 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky529
Why do you want a 4 cylinder?
X2 on this one. I have owned both a '98 4 banger and now a '00 six, and the only way I would own a 4 again was if it was really really cheap and it was going to be atrail only Jeep. If you have any hilly driving, any windy driving or long commutes, I would advise against the 4 banger. But that is just my opinion.
Unread 04-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #8
Z0RR0

Dammit, I knew I shouldn't have said it! hahaha
4 banger for a number of reasons (good gearing, lots of trails and city, hills are unknown of in the area, silly gas prices here ... etc etc), but mostly because I'm getting a TJ for the nimbleness and doors off-windshield down driving, and as smooth and torquey as the 6 can be, if I wanted a great engine, I'd just get a WJ Overland
This being said, if I come up on a smokin' deal, I won't turn away if it's a 6 ... the 4 is just a preference.
Unread 04-30-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
Rule303
1998 TJ Wrangler 

And you'll pay thousands less for a 4 cyl, which is about the only reason to buy one, as they don't really offer much better MPG. But a 4 is fine for what you describe. Some people on here forget not everyone uses their TJ as a daily driver. On a typical drive in my TJ, I rarely exceed 45mph due to traffic and lights. Its become more of a grocery getter lately than what I had intended.
Rule303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2007, 03:31 PM   #10
sahara33's
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I bought my 98 last June with only 29k on it and I thought it was a great deal... well taken care of yada yada. Then A few months later the LS differential went out. that alone cost me upwards of a grand.

Oh and about the sailcloth tops, my friend has an 06 and its a SOB to put on. Mine stretches while his feels like its stiff as cardboard. I think I could deal with the extra noise.
sahara33's is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2007, 03:48 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahara33's
I bought my 98 last June with only 29k on it and I thought it was a great deal... well taken care of yada yada. Then A few months later the LS differential went out. that alone cost me upwards of a grand.

Oh and about the sailcloth tops, my friend has an 06 and its a SOB to put on. Mine stretches while his feels like its stiff as cardboard. I think I could deal with the extra noise.
You got reamed on the LS repair. You could have bought a brand new Detroit Truetrac which is a far better and more durable limited slip differential and had it installed for way less than that.

So far as putting the Sailcloth up... I converted my '97 soft top to a Sailcloth and if you simply latch it to the windshield first, it's easily done. Attaching the soft top at the rear first then attempting to get the front latched is where many go wrong.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2007, 04:29 PM   #12
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

As far as gas mileage in the 4 cylinder vs the 6 cylinder, the difference is negligible.

Unread 04-30-2007, 05:07 PM   #13
STW
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0RR0
Dammit, I knew I shouldn't have said it! hahaha
4 banger for a number of reasons (good gearing, lots of trails and city, hills are unknown of in the area, silly gas prices here ... etc etc), but mostly because I'm getting a TJ for the nimbleness and doors off-windshield down driving, and as smooth and torquey as the 6 can be, if I wanted a great engine, I'd just get a WJ Overland
This being said, if I come up on a smokin' deal, I won't turn away if it's a 6 ... the 4 is just a preference.
Don't apologize. I looked only for 4 cyl. when I bought in 2000. I drove some 6 cyl. too to make sure I preferred the 4 cyl--6 cyl is a great engine but I like the 2/3s version better . Never regretted it. Not for everybody but if you know what you want then you're fine. And yeah, lots of people won't get much of a mpg advantage with the 4 cyl., but some folks do. I get 20-23 mpg with 33s and 3" coils, bumpers, winch, etc.
Unread 04-30-2007, 05:49 PM   #14
sahara33's
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
You got reamed on the LS repair. You could have bought a brand new Detroit Truetrac which is a far better and more durable limited slip differential and had it installed for way less than that.

So far as putting the Sailcloth up... I converted my '97 soft top to a Sailcloth and if you simply latch it to the windshield first, it's easily done. Attaching the soft top at the rear first then attempting to get the front latched is where many go wrong.
I actually got a detroit locker and had the guy instal it. I checked the reciept and the detroit was 585 and the labor came to 450. Did I get hosed on that one? I'll never go back to a LSD though.

And Jerry, you're not supposed to attach the legs first? I'll try it next time, I just thought it would be easier the other way. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by sahara33's; 04-30-2007 at 06:03 PM..
sahara33's is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahara33's
And Jerry, you're not supposed to attach the legs first? I'll try it next time, I just thought it would be easier the other way. Thanks for the tip!
a little... attach the front of the top to the windshield frame via the clamps (don't snap them all the way closed yet) first, then attach the two rear corners.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.