signal light goes on when I brake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > signal light goes on when I brake

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-23-2005, 11:59 PM   #1
Decz

signal light goes on when I brake

My left turn signal light goes on whenever I brake (both the dash light and the exterior lights). This only happens when I brake ( 9 out of 10 times ) and the only time it doesn't happen is when my right turn signal is on.
I'm pulling my hair out over this one! Any Idea's?

99 TJ, 2.5 litre

Thanks!

_Decz

Decz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 12:00 AM   #2
DLoweinc

did your dash get wet? usually that happens when the dash is wet
Unread 02-24-2005, 12:04 AM   #3
Decz

Nope, the dash didnt get wet. We have the usual floor flood when it rains, but it's been a month since that happened, and this signal light thing has only been going on for 2-3 days now.
Decz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 12:09 AM   #4
DLoweinc

wish i had an answer for you, my friends TJ does the same thing and the dealer has no idea
Unread 02-24-2005, 12:51 AM   #5
wayoflife

LOL, is it your left signal that goes on? mine does that to and finally figured out that the lever gets a little sticky when returning to center. the next time that happens, just push up on the lever a bit and it should go away
wayoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 02:39 AM   #6
Av Native

Check to see if you have the correct bulb in there, The wrong bulb could cause feedback thru the system
JC fab rockers and 1" seat lift
33"BFG MT's
Nth degree adjustable upper arm
Nth degree lower arms
Power trax front locker
Av Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 05:33 AM   #7
Chipper

There's a thread posted in here titled "Jeep is Ill", which describes kinda the same problem I had this week.
I would put my left flasher on and the dash light and fog lights would flash on and off.
It turned out to be the flasher socket which was all corroded inside, causing a short.
I suggest you look at each one of the flashers, starting with the front. Just reach up under the fenders and turn the socket 90...it should come out. Pull out the lightbulb and check the four little wire contacts, if they're screwed up, then that's your problem. If not, check out the contacts in the socket for crud. Do the other front flasher and the back ones too. If you have any doubts about the bulbs, change 'em....they're cheap.

Let us know how it works out.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 06:03 AM   #8
endo

Me Too

Mine does that as well.
Its the left one I am betting. Like someone else said just jiggle the lever a bit and it will work as it should it has an issue returing to center sometimes.
endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 06:05 AM   #9
blacksheep1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

another thing to check is your grounds. you stated that the floor has been flooded occasionally, think boat trailer here. if your plugs, and or grounding points for the lights became submerged they could have corroded over time and caused the problem to show up now vs right after being submerged. inadequate or nonexistent grounds have been known to cause some very odd symptoms. good luck!

MINE 1999 TJ sport, HERS 2004 KJ Renegade and 2005 Rubicon
Wind Tunnel Tested . . . FAILED
blacksheep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2005, 06:20 AM   #10
emcee5000
2007 JK Wrangler 

As previously posted, if it is the left turn signal that stays on it is a sticky lever. A simple giggle is all it needs.
emcee5000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.