sierra rack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > sierra rack

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-04-2005, 10:59 AM   #1
limecolbyjack

sierra rack

anybody got one of these? i seen the sierra rack in the quadratec mag. $169 seems better than the garvin ones that cost $500. looks like since theres no supports it wont be able to hold as much weight. im mainly looking to haul a cooler lantern and a small tool box. rear seat is coming out and the jeep will be filled with other BS. is this rack worth the $169? someone mentioned the xtra weight on the tail gate is bad, is this only when u open the tail gate? any pics of these on your jeep? -chris

[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2163492]my jeep pics[/URL]
limecolbyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2005, 06:36 PM   #2
limecolbyjack

since no one has these, im wondering if its a waste of time. -chris
[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2163492]my jeep pics[/URL]
limecolbyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
cjdirtbiker

Cargo Racks

It puts your cargo really far back, making any weight you put in to it behind the fulcrum on your rear axle, virtually multiplying it twofold.

Of all the cheap racks the Warrior products is probably the best, they bolt to the tailgate. But the problem with all of these is the weight on the tailgate. It's not designed to handle that much weight. You can get away with light cargo in one with a stock or stock sized spare. Anything bigger or for more cargo you need something heavier duty.

Some guys use a hitch mounted rack and then leave it at camp when they go wheeling. In otherwords, none of these work for actual offroading.

The bumper mounted systems are the way to go. I have one custom built by All J Products: www.boulderbars.com. It's one of the best designed and sturdy racks out there. You can check out pics at their site, or pics of my setup from the link in my sig.

The over head racks are okay too, but they add a lot to your height, and then all the weight is up on top raising your center of gravity.
'02 "X" 4.0 AT - Lifted and locked on 35's, D44/4.10, ARB, GY MT/r's, Currie, JKS, MORE, AA/TW, Rancho, WARN 8274, Hansen, All-J custom bumpers, Poison Spyder, CO2, Cobra, Hella, and on and on: J.E.E.P.
[URL=http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cjdirtbiker@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=75b8&.src=ph]Photo Album[/URL]
STOLEN 3/05: 99 TJ, built for trailrunning
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
cjdirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2005, 09:14 PM   #4
AggieDog

In a word, Jeeperman rear bumper, swingaway tire carrier and rock rack. Top quality and well constructed. It makes Wilderness Unlimited stuff look like kids stuff.
AggieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2005, 08:55 AM   #5
cjdirtbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDog
In a word, Jeeperman rear bumper, swingaway tire carrier and rock rack. Top quality and well constructed. It makes Wilderness Unlimited stuff look like kids stuff.
The Jeeperman stuff from Raingler is okay, but there are problems with the swing pivot as the whole assembly swings there. Quinn designed his to tie into the body as well, with double pivot points, and it uses the original spare hold-off rubbers to snub the top bar of the rack assembly. Much more stable and rattle free. It is also easier to unlatch with a double latch system with first and second position detents, much like a car door.

Besides, last I heard the Jeeperman stuff was more than a month backordered. And they are one of the most expensive at about $1400. If you're going to spend that much you should look at Hanson: http://www.hansonenterprise.com/

Quinn at All J products build them custom, mine was $1100 with swing tire carrier, integrated class III hitch reiever (tucked up and in and out of the way) jerry can carrier with quic release, and rubicon/safari top rack, installed. Everything was powder coated too.
'02 "X" 4.0 AT - Lifted and locked on 35's, D44/4.10, ARB, GY MT/r's, Currie, JKS, MORE, AA/TW, Rancho, WARN 8274, Hansen, All-J custom bumpers, Poison Spyder, CO2, Cobra, Hella, and on and on: J.E.E.P.
[URL=http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cjdirtbiker@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=75b8&.src=ph]Photo Album[/URL]
STOLEN 3/05: 99 TJ, built for trailrunning
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
cjdirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.