Side-mount tire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Side-mount tire

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 03-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
tecumsa

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Side-mount tire

Does anyone know of a mount I can use to carry my spare on the side of the Jeep? (Similar to image below)

Also, any pros / cons to doing this?

I am looking at this as a method of opening up space on the rear of my TJ to carry a Jerry can or two.

tecumsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think I'd end up getting hung up on a side mount. There are tire carrier bumpers that also have Jerry can mounts, I think I'd go that way.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
stoker
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I had a side mounted spare on a CJ. It was constantly in the way or hung up on trees. That was a bikini only no door Jeep. I moved the spare onto the drivers side of the roll bar with most of the weight resting on the tub rail. This got it up higher and mostly in the Jeep which ended the hangups and corrected the blind spot off my starboard stern.
Unread 03-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
rubiweeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You could order one of the cj mounts and bolt it up to the tub. I wouldn't do it though because they hang up on stuff too much.
You should get or build a tire carrier that also has jerry can mounts.
Unread 03-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
rustym38a1

1953 M-38 

Spare tire mounts are still available for the old CJ's. You will need to match the bolt pattern 4 1/2" on 5! But if you do go through with it, you better make sure that you re-enforce the heck out of the inside of your quarter panel or you will peel it off with the first hard bump!
97 Wrangler SE TJ- This is our Trail Jeep. Yukon 4.88's, Powertrax Locker, 32" BFG KM2 tires, XRC/8 winch
53 Willys M38a1- Restored w/50cal Browning M2HB & 53 M100 1/4 ton Trailer fully loaded with gear!
13 Grand Cherokee Laredo WK2- company car
rustym38a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

-not only that but unless its a teenie tiny tire and even then mounted really high up, it won't clear the rear flare.
Just hold your spare up there and look - you'll quicly see why no one does this.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
tecumsa

1997 TJ Wrangler 

OK, Rusty and BF, that's what I was looking for.

I'm just considering options. The auxiliary bumpers won't work because they tend to be model specific, and I'm not sure how much longer this TJ has. I've been looking for a more generic solution.
tecumsa is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.