shudder on take off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > shudder on take off

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
jeep973366
1997 TJ Wrangler 

shudder on take off

I recently had my clutch, flywheel and rms replaced. I have noticed that after the Jeep is a little warm, it shudders on take off in first gear. Would this be a clutch problem, trans mount or motor mount? Should I take it back to the shop? It didnt shudder the first 100 miles of the new clutch. Thanks for the help.

jeep973366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Moezer
2014 JK Wrangler 

i use to have same problem kinda i thought it was from my tires or the way i drove standard, but i dont have it any more but i did change my clutch with in that time take it back to the shop
Moezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
ccwrangler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

mine does this sometimes, but I still have the original clutch/flywheel. seems to only do it once in a while and only when its really cold outside
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
77midget
1997 TJ Wrangler 

fwiw I had this until I just did a full clutch job...smooth now. One other potential reason that I had heard of is a bad RMS that would allow oil to leak onto the clutch mating surfaces to the flywheel, causing temp loss of traction and shuddering in the clutch. Was your RMS leaking before you replaced it or was it preventative?
77midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mine started doing it also, if you let off the pedal alittle slower and give it a little more gas it won't do it. I replaced the clutch a little over a year ago. I'm going to bleed the slave tonight and see if it helps. I have a bleeder screw on my slave, some of them don't.

I'll let you'll know if it helps.
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
jeep973366
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the info, my RMS was leaking before I replaced the clutch. But why does it not do it when I first start driving??
Unread 01-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
FarmerinVA
Just a flatlander

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Are you saying that it's a linkage problem in the drivetrain, or that it's the engine shuddering/surging? When you talk about it being "warm," it sounds more like the latter.

The typical advice on engine stumble -- if I remember correctly (I'm not one of the many who've given this advice) -- is to start by making sure you have fresh gas, next replace spark plugs with new ones that have the correct gap, and after that begin cleaning or replacing sensors and other ignition components until you've solved the problem. Please let us know what fixes it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ex...hafts-1234745/
FarmerinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
jeep973366
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Its the drivetrain that shudders, I can watch my shifter shudder when I take off. When I first take off in the morning, no shudder, after about a mile, the shudder starts.
Unread 01-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
willatthe4077th
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep973366 View Post
Its the drivetrain that shudders, I can watch my shifter shudder when I take off. When I first take off in the morning, no shudder, after about a mile, the shudder starts.
Interesting. You could try changing your transmission mount to see if it helps
I just did mine and it made things much smoother. Took me about 45 minutes total and only $36 for the mount at AutoZone. BUT I'm not very experienced with clutches so I'm interested in others' opinions. IIRC Boogieman once said that a bad trans mount will cause the shifter to wobble on takeoff.
willatthe4077th is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
TipMeBackOver
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerinVA View Post
The typical advice on engine stumble -- if I remember correctly (I'm not one of the many who've given this advice) -- is to start by making sure you have fresh gas, next replace spark plugs with new ones that have the correct gap, and after that begin cleaning or replacing sensors and other ignition components until you've solved the problem. Please let us know what fixes it.
this is what i call using the parts shotgun , please do not just start throwing parts at it until u finally fix the problem its timely and can get expensive so since you said its stops shuttering after its warmed up makes me lean toward and issue within the realm of the engine and nothing to do with with your trans ,clutch and or flywheel, and first check your plugs and check the gap and look to see how worn they are but check for vac leaks that could be on the other side of a vac switching valve that closes after the engine reaches a a certain temp, check for any pending codes or current codes stored in the pcm, check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail, replace your fuel filter if you never have replaced it or its been more than 35,000 miles since it has been changed last,if you have access to a hand held code scanner , go into the data mode and look to see if the coolant temp corresponds with the dash gauge ,check your long term and short term fuel correction percentages and see if they are close to each other . i.e. there should be two short term fuel trim readings and they should be pretty close to each other, then both of your long term fuel trim corrections should be close to each other but long term and short term readings should not be close to each other, like example short/short=3.68% then long/long= 15.23% ,
i can explain better if you need just pm me and i will help ya out
TipMeBackOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #11
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipMeBackOver View Post
replace your fuel filter if you never have replaced it or its been more than 35,000 miles since it has been changed last,
The fuel filter in a TJ is called out as a life time filter in the FSM and rarely is the source of a problem...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
jeep973366
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's not the engine, my motor runs smooth, it's when I let off the clutch, it shudders. I think it's the tranny mount.
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
jeep973366
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Update: this turned out to be bad motor mounts. As the engine would heat up the mounts got real soft . New mounts and it feels stronger than ever.
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
stump1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i love when people come back and adress the situation with a fix, "and" bother posting to finish out the initial thread.
wish that would happen more often.
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
jeep973366
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.