Should your flywheel be resurfaced? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Should your flywheel be resurfaced?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 09-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Should your flywheel be resurfaced?

Below is an excerpt from a previous thread. I'm posting this to get opinions from other forum members. I know many are running resurfaced flywheels without issue.

The FSM recommends not to have the flywheel machined (resurfaced).

What do you think?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I went to NAPA and was asking to see one of their new in the box flywheels and was explaining (conical verses flat) why I wanted to see it.

The store manager overheard the conversation, walked over and said conical. He then told the counterperson to go get one off the shelf. During the wait we discussed the topic and he stated that years ago this conversation had come up because someone had inquired as to why their new flywheel wasn't flat. The research was done and they found that's how they come new.

The counterperson came back with the new flywheel, NAPA #88193. We checked it with a straight edge and sure enough, the center minimum diameter is higher than the outer diameter.

The "unique contour" referred to in the FSM is the conical shape (not flat) of the flywheel surface.

It's not flat if the straight edge is laid across the full surface of the flywheel (outer edge to outer edge)... HTH
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/vi...-help-1572925/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post your comments and please keep your posts on topic...

Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

~2 years ago when i fried my clutch in a water hole, i took my Jeep to a mechanic for a quick-er swap and my lack of tools. First question he asked was if i was willing to pay extra for resurfacing or new FW depending on the condition. I ended up explaining to him what the FSM stated about the FW and he seemed to understand and offered to lightly sand it to save me a few bucks, once again, depending on the condition of the FW once he opens it up.

Edit: to answer the question. NO, IMO.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
chevymad
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If the shop has a real flywheel grinder you'll get the true conical shape. If they're just using a brake lathe then it'll be cut flat. I grind flywheels at work and even ones that look smooth really aren't when you start grinding on them. I wouldn't install a new clutch without either surfacing or replacing.
chevymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Bump...
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

From what I've seen, resurfacing would make the inner section thinner then the outer section, if this makes sense...

Unread 09-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm interested in the real world experience as well. I replaced mine just because it looked a little janky, and a stock replacement was readily available. I thought I measured both correctly, but was misunderstanding the language being thrown around here....BWAAAWK.

I missed this thread earlier, I will most definitely take a pic of my factory takeoff (it's at work) with a straight edge and post it here tomorrow morning....putting straight edge in the Heep now
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Had my clutch replaced several years ago at my local 4x4 shop who deals with a lot of Jeeps. I asked them about the flywheel and they said they resurfaced it. Not sure how they did it though. No issues with it since. Should have asked more details.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
Had my clutch replaced several years ago at my local 4x4 shop who deals with a lot of Jeeps. I asked them about the flywheel and they said they resurfaced it. Not sure how they did it though. No issues with it since. Should have asked more details.
The difference we found side to side on the face of the new NAPA flywheel was between the thickness of a business card (.013) and a sheet of notebook paper (.005), it was just a rough measurement. We were checking for the conical shape.

Didn't have a feeler gage at the time.

The NAPA flywheel is conical shaped, are the other manufacturers of new replacement ones the same?...
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
2GPS4ME

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I second-guessed myself when I heard of the 'no resurface' crap. Replaced my clutch on New Years Day this year, and did not resurface flywheel.

It finally quit (chirping, squeaking, etc.) about June.

Never going to bypass resurfacing again - with a new clutch, at least

WJ (WIFE JEEP) PROJECT COMING SOON
2GPS4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What about the difference in the different brand clutch kits? The one I took out of my Jeep was a Sachs and had a larger center with less surface area on the pressure plate and friction disc, but the Luk I installed was different.
Maybe the Sachs I took out is for a flywheel that hasn't been turned flat and the Luk is for a resurfaced flywheel.
Luk on the left, Sachs on the right.

The Sachs pressure plate on the left

Why would the Luk be different?
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #11
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone else like to add to this?

Unread 09-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #12
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My factory take off is at the office and I walked off the job on Thursday. I'm locked out as a security risk apparently. Wont be seeing it until the paperwork is done for them to buy me out. Could be a week or two, lol

Aside from any alleged conical shape, there was no visible difference between the takeoff and the Sachs stuff I replaced with.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Oh noes, you got bant from work ?

Unread 09-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #14
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuder View Post
What about the difference in the different brand clutch kits? The one I took out of my Jeep was a Sachs and had a larger center with less surface area on the pressure plate and friction disc, but the Luk I installed was different.
Maybe the Sachs I took out is for a flywheel that hasn't been turned flat and the Luk is for a resurfaced flywheel.
Luk on the left, Sachs on the right.

Why would the Luk be different?
Not relevant anymore because newer Sachs clutches have the same amount of friction material (possibly even a tad more) as the Luk.

This is the Sachs clutch I installed in my Jeep 3 years ago.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:57 PM   #15
Brimstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a LUK flywheel still new in the box. Took a straight-edge to it and it is indeed not flat. About a sheet of paper thickness difference from center to edge, like someone mentioned above^.

I was more concerned to find the large "Made in China" stamped on the back of it. I hope it gets along with the Made in Mexico clutch kit that I have to go with it.
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.