Should My Differential Fluid Be Milky Gray In Color? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Should My Differential Fluid Be Milky Gray In Color?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-25-2004, 10:06 AM   #1
samsammy23

Should My Differential Fluid Be Milky Gray In Color?

I was submerged a couple of time yesterday past my diffs. When I drained the rear fluid, the color is a milky gray. I assume this is not the color it should be. Did it change with the mixture of water?
Chad.

Last edited by samsammy23; 06-25-2004 at 10:17 AM..
samsammy23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2004, 10:20 AM   #2
RockPaws

It sure did. The milky color is due to water in the oil. Be glad you changed it when you did. Prolonged use in this condition would have cost a lot more than a fluid change.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2004, 10:36 AM   #3
Down&Dirty

Yeah, quick and easy to try and prevent. Just extend your breather lines for your diffs and you probably won't have this problem again. Problem is there is no easy way to check for water in there.

'80 CJ-5, full width, 3 link front, 1/4 elliptical rear, 38's, and propane.
Down&Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2004, 10:40 AM   #4
samsammy23

Any suggestions on what to do now? I will probably clean it out with brake parts cleaner, wipe it clean, and then refill with gear oil.
Thanks.
Chad.
samsammy23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2004, 10:57 AM   #5
jd4x4

Ya you can extend your breather line from your diff up to the gas tank lid, thats were the origanl one was on your TJ. That will keep water out of your diff.

later
jmd

[COLOR=red]Red Jeep Club Member #108[/COLOR]
jd4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2004, 11:43 AM   #6
lawdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down&Dirty
Problem is there is no easy way to check for water in there.
ClearGearz
lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.