Should I swap my transfer case? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Should I swap my transfer case?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Should I swap my transfer case?

I got my eye on a 2005 NV241 Rubicon trasfer case that I want to swap in for my old 1997 NV231.

I want to know what will be the endresult of this swap, having 35" tires, AX-15 tranny and 4.88 gears ?

I know the ratio is 4:1 vs 2.72:1.. but can some one explain this better for me please

any inputs on how easy is the install will be?

thanks

TJRoberto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
JCWJEEP
2010 JK Wrangler 

You will have a lower 4lo, meaning your engine will turn the tires more while using less power.

That transfer case also has a fixed yoke output, as opposed to your stock slip yoke, allowing you to use a double cardan rear drive shaft. So you will need a new rear driveshaft as well as adjustable upper control arms for the rear. I believe the front shaft remains the same.
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the fast reply JCWJEEP...
So besically if I do swap in the NV241 transfer cases, this will be a good set up since I have a mamual tranny and it will help me avoit stalling the Jeep up hills since I will be using less power from the motor right?

Can I modidy my stock rear drive shaft to be used with the NV241 trafers?

any more inputs are walcome. please let me know if I am missing any info in the future swap...
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRRoberto View Post
So besically if I do swap in the NV241 transfer cases, this will be a good set up since I have a mamual tranny and it will help me avoit stalling the Jeep up hills since I will be using less power from the motor right?
In low range, yes. In high range, no.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
JCWJEEP
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRRoberto View Post

Can I modidy my stock rear drive shaft to be used with the NV241 trafers?

any more inputs are walcome. please let me know if I am missing any info in the future swap...
The only change is present in 4lo. On road driving, I think, is exactly much the same.

No, you will need to buy a new driveshaft.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...nt-one-854790/
Unread 07-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just to make sure the swap will be a straight bold it right? Besides the Rear drive shaft work!!!

For your experts out there, do you guys recommend this mod?

Tags
np241 , swap , tj , transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.