Should I swap my transfer case? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Should I swap my transfer case?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Should I swap my transfer case?

I got my eye on a 2005 NV241 Rubicon trasfer case that I want to swap in for my old 1997 NV231.

I want to know what will be the endresult of this swap, having 35" tires, AX-15 tranny and 4.88 gears ?

I know the ratio is 4:1 vs 2.72:1.. but can some one explain this better for me please

any inputs on how easy is the install will be?

thanks

TJRoberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
JCWJEEP
2010 JK Wrangler 

You will have a lower 4lo, meaning your engine will turn the tires more while using less power.

That transfer case also has a fixed yoke output, as opposed to your stock slip yoke, allowing you to use a double cardan rear drive shaft. So you will need a new rear driveshaft as well as adjustable upper control arms for the rear. I believe the front shaft remains the same.
Unread 07-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the fast reply JCWJEEP...
So besically if I do swap in the NV241 transfer cases, this will be a good set up since I have a mamual tranny and it will help me avoit stalling the Jeep up hills since I will be using less power from the motor right?

Can I modidy my stock rear drive shaft to be used with the NV241 trafers?

any more inputs are walcome. please let me know if I am missing any info in the future swap...
Unread 07-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRRoberto View Post
So besically if I do swap in the NV241 transfer cases, this will be a good set up since I have a mamual tranny and it will help me avoit stalling the Jeep up hills since I will be using less power from the motor right?
In low range, yes. In high range, no.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
JCWJEEP
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRRoberto View Post

Can I modidy my stock rear drive shaft to be used with the NV241 trafers?

any more inputs are walcome. please let me know if I am missing any info in the future swap...
The only change is present in 4lo. On road driving, I think, is exactly much the same.

No, you will need to buy a new driveshaft.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...nt-one-854790/
Unread 07-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just to make sure the swap will be a straight bold it right? Besides the Rear drive shaft work!!!

For your experts out there, do you guys recommend this mod?

Tags
np241 , swap , tj , transfer case

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.