Should I stretch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Should I stretch?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeSanta Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 06-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Should I stretch?

I thought I was nearing the end of my build. Once I've done a TT and dialed in my pinion angle, I was going to outboard the rear dampers and relocate the spring mounts. And then call it a day, other than lifting the gas tank and adding corner amor.

Then I got wondering if I would want more. I'm commited to spending the money and improve the rig regardless. So then I got thinking about streching out to a 99" wheelbase. I'd need to install....

1. Genright EXT 5" stretch tank (Savvy sell's it cheaper I believe), instead of a GTS.
2. Full Traction's longer wishbone for their stretched tri-link (I already have their SA tri-link)
3. Savvy's new aluminum longer CA's for the lowers.
4. Rear Antirock.
5. Depending where the upper coil mounts ended up, I'd more than likely need to use 2"-2.5" coils to match the 3" AEV fronts. But after the stretch and reducing the CA angles, I could possibly do coilovers and get a really good axle drop.

I'll also consider stepping up to 37's (my axles are very reliable for 35's). Other than new rubber and brakes, I'm thinking an extra $2000 (if I do coilovers) above and beyond what I want to do anyway.

Then there's the cost vs benefit. I currently play in N. CA trails including Rubicon, Fordyce, Dusy-Ershim and Swamp Lake. And maybe a trip now and again down to JV.

Am I missing anything? Comments welcome.

MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Savvy alum CAs are for uppers only. Didn't know they make them for lowers and if they did, they would gouge on rocks and grab instead of sliding.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayRoll View Post
I thought I was nearing the end of my build. Once I've done a TT and dialed in my pinion angle, I was going to outboard the rear dampers and relocate the spring mounts. And then call it a day, other than lifting the gas tank and adding corner amor.

Then I got wondering if I would want more. I'm commited to spending the money and improve the rig regardless. So then I got thinking about streching out to a 99" wheelbase. I'd need to install....

1. Genright EXT 5" stretch tank (Savvy sell's it cheaper I believe), instead of a GTS.
2. Full Traction's longer wishbone for their stretched tri-link (I already have their SA tri-link)
3. Savvy's new aluminum longer CA's for the lowers.
4. Rear Antirock.
5. Depending where the upper coil mounts ended up, I'd more than likely need to use 2"-2.5" coils to match the 3" AEV fronts. But after the stretch and reducing the CA angles, I could possibly do coilovers and get a really good axle drop.

I'll also consider stepping up to 37's (my axles are very reliable for 35's). Other than new rubber and brakes, I'm thinking an extra $2000 (if I do coilovers) above and beyond what I want to do anyway.

Then there's the cost vs benefit. I currently play in N. CA trails including Rubicon, Fordyce, Dusy-Ershim and Swamp Lake. And maybe a trip now and again down to JV.

Am I missing anything? Comments welcome.
I should make a list of 'isms and have it at the ready for all things I keep having to repeat. Here's the rule on a stretchism.

The number one tank I move behind the seats to do a real stretch is a stretch tank that used to live under the rig.

Think about that.
Unread 06-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Which diff are you wanting to do the stretch with? If d60 then it's either gonna be the 15gal GenRight or it has to go into the bed.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ruffstuff's 3link/ 4 link kits + Fuel cell. Get at least 102" out of it if your gonna go thru all that work.

I'm about to start this project next month. Gathering parts now.
Niceface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I should make a list of 'isms and have it at the ready for all things I keep having to repeat. Here's the rule on a stretchism.

The number one tank I move behind the seats to do a real stretch is a stretch tank that used to live under the rig.

Think about that.
I'm thinking....

Sorry I can't keep up with everyone's likes or dislikes. But I take it you're not a fan. You probably have a good reason though. Barring any placebo effect from those that will tell us that a stretch did them good and the reduction of the breakover angle on existing tire size. I can't think of negatives. Why don't you like a 100" WB (includes a little push forward too)?

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I understand the reasoning that for the cost involved you might as well push it way back. However, I do not want to loose the back seat (I take the kids wheeling). I'd imagine you'd approve of my current path of OB the dampers and relocating the rear spring mounts? With a 100" WB, would I not be building a better performing rig (both on and off road) if I did nothing more than reduce CA angles and the benefits of coilovers?

I apologize again, If you feel like you're repeating yourself. I'd like to understand why you feel the way you do. I know this isn't Pirate, but I'd enjoy reading a hardcore response.

If you've already explained yourself and don't wish to again, maybe you could take the time to copy/paste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Which diff are you wanting to do the stretch with? If d60 then it's either gonna be the 15gal GenRight or it has to go into the bed.
It would stay 44, so I could get the full 5" with the 19gal tank.
Unread 06-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I was able to get 100" out of my stretch, that's just 3" shy of a LJ wb with a better departure angle. I think it's worth it....and it looks cool.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayRoll View Post
I'm thinking....

Sorry I can't keep up with everyone's likes or dislikes. But I take it you're not a fan. You probably have a good reason though. Barring any placebo effect from those that will tell us that a stretch did them good and the reduction of the breakover angle on existing tire size. I can't think of negatives. Why don't you like a 100" WB (includes a little push forward too)?

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I understand the reasoning that for the cost involved you might as well push it way back. However, I do not want to loose the back seat (I take the kids wheeling). I'd imagine you'd approve of my current path of OB the dampers and relocating the rear spring mounts? With a 100" WB, would I not be building a better performing rig (both on and off road) if I did nothing more than reduce CA angles and the benefits of coilovers?

I apologize again, If you feel like you're repeating yourself. I'd like to understand why you feel the way you do. I know this isn't Pirate, but I'd enjoy reading a hardcore response.

If you've already explained yourself and don't wish to again, maybe you could take the time to copy/paste.
It's not that I am or am not a fan. Folks spend a lot of money buying stretch tanks, longer arms, lots of fab work, new corners to hide the cutting mess, blah blah blah and it adds up quick.

When you get all done, you will not go a single place in JV that Robert Yates and his stock wheelbase on 35's will go. The work, expense and effort simply do not pencil out and the reason I move stretch tanks behind the seats is folks have done the stretch, figured out what I'm now telling you and then do it right. Rather than waste all that money they spent on a stretch tank, they move it behind the front seats.

I will also say that most of the stretches I deal with and fix are so poorly done geometry wise that the owners always make some comment to the effect of "I just should have left it alone".
Unread 06-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thank's for the input. I figured a 100" WB would be beneficial at a price point. Considering where I'm at with my build right now, I would need to invest no more than $2k (which includes CO's) above and beyond. As long as everything was set up right to allow for at most 12" CO's (still using SA bracket location). You feel even at that price point, compared with my current build goals (OB shocks and coil mount relocation) it's still not worth it?

TIA
Unread 06-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly I personally would not invest money in stretching unless I was going to put 39's or larger tire from the start. Red label Krawlers and V8's in a LJ WB is very nice though.

That 2k is going to be 4 times that pretty quick. Go beat the piss out of it for a couple more years...then you will have cash saved up to do it right.
Unread 06-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #11
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
That 2k is going to be 4 times that pretty quick. Go beat the piss out of it for a couple more years...then you will have cash saved up to do it right.
It would be done right at what ever WB. I've read quite a few threads on happy 100" folks.

I've done the same thing shown in that video, although I ended up on my roof.

As mentioned I'm not willing to loose the rear seats. So if a 100" WB is not worth it at my price point and the only acceptable stretch is moving the tank to the tub then I'm happy to stay at 94".
Unread 06-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #12
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

I was one of those who did the stretch tank and ended up putting a fuel cell in the bed after a year. Then we stretched it some more and it work really well. I think it ended at 104-105". On 37s it did OK. I put 39s on and no good. It climbed terrible at Moab but was OK in JV on tight trails.

As much money as I put in the the 2003 Unrolled I could have bought a real nice buggy like the current on I have! I'm not kidding!

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Unlimited Black Hole - The Ultimate LJ

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.