Should I sand blast my frame? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Should I sand blast my frame?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 04-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
Gonzoso
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Should I sand blast my frame?

I'm in sort of a bind right now. I have a 1997 TJ 4cyl, 5spd. It is bone stock. I have about 2k dollars I'm willing to play with to improve it.

It has surface rust on most parts of the frame but none really bad. There was one spot on the drivers side rear wheel well on the outside where dirt got inside and rotted out a small section of metal. My mechanic cut it out and welded steel back in that spot, he does good work and I am confident it was done well.

I don't need to drive the tj this summer so I could restore it. I am sort of anal and like to do things right. At first I was thinking about just por-15ing it. But then I thought about sand blasting it. So I found a 40 lb harbor freight sand blaster for 40$ today almost brand new and bought it, and I picked up a nice used two stage compressor that will run it for another 200$.

I am having commitment issues now. Is sand blasting my frame in my driveway a reasonable thing to do? Could it cause problems with debris getting into axles, drivetrain, etc if I do so?

I dunno if I want to get involved with this right now. I did some reading on this tonight and it seems what is going to happen is this:

I will spend tons of money on media to strip it. I will make a god awful mess in my driveway which is possibly an environmental hazard. I may contaminate important things like bearings and places that aren't supposed to be gritty. I will break bolts, strip stuff and end up spending much of the summer cursing myself for starting this project. Inevitably I will spend tons of money on this.

Does anyone here have any experience or advice on this?

Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
TinkerAB
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wouldnt do it unless your going to completely tear the jeep apart and remoove the frame from the jeep.
Unread 04-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
julietkilo
2003 TJ Wrangler 

mask off your jeep and use por-15 or rustbullet. lots less mess and will last forever.

Air Force Loadmaster/Air Force Jeep Club [B]#12[/B]
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/i-am-petersens-4wheel-off-road-magazine-pics-526488/"]Me in Petersons 4-Wheel Off-Road Magazine[/URL]
[/B][/SIZE]
julietkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 12:01 AM   #4
26679cj5
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

por15 is a good option if you aren't rockcrawling. i coated mine last summer and rubbed off quite a bit of it over the last couple of off road trips, i just ended up using spray primer and spray paint to patch those spots. it has held up great on all areas that havent come in contact with rocks though.

When I did the por 15, i just used some flap disks on a grinder and hit everything i could reach. sprayed it down with the por 15 cleaner and acid prep, 2 coats of por 15, their etching primer,then a top coat of the 2 part top coat.
26679cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 05:39 AM   #5
03rubiconMG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

im assuming the por 15 is one of those things that turns rust to primer. if so use that, unless your frame is rotted real bad there is no reason to sand blast it. plus sand blasting sucks.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3374/...376a0a33_o.jpg
03rubiconMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #6
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If your frame was rotted through in one spot, it can't be much better in other spots that you just can't see. I would not waste my time doing the work you are talking about doing on a frame like that. For a couple hundred more (2300?) you can get a new mopar frame. I just swapped mine, it was a fun job.
rondak46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

a used frame fromt he soutwest off ebay is the best bet. otherwise just leave it as is. possibly spray it down with used motor oil.
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
julietkilo
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rubiconMG View Post
im assuming the por 15 is one of those things that turns rust to primer. if so use that, unless your frame is rotted real bad there is no reason to sand blast it. plus sand blasting sucks.
op stated surface rust, he is in PA where PENDOT doesnt care if teh salt they use rusts your car out from under you. But I never had issues when I lived there. Just make sure you check the entire frame really well. should sound like tink tink not sheets of paper, when tapping around on it.

Air Force Loadmaster/Air Force Jeep Club [B]#12[/B]
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/i-am-petersens-4wheel-off-road-magazine-pics-526488/"]Me in Petersons 4-Wheel Off-Road Magazine[/URL]
[/B][/SIZE]
julietkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
Gonzoso
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondak46 View Post
If your frame was rotted through in one spot, it can't be much better in other spots that you just can't see. I would not waste my time doing the work you are talking about doing on a frame like that. For a couple hundred more (2300?) you can get a new mopar frame. I just swapped mine, it was a fun job.
The spot it rotted through was just in one place where it got dirt and crap caked into the frame. It rotted through in like a thin line in one spot and my mechanic cut it out and put a plate in where it was.

I won't need to drive it this summer so I figure if I strip and refinish it I can get a good 5-6 more years out of it at least.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
bjrodriguez
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i think im going to look into por15 now... i was contemplating sandblasting my rusted under parts, but sounds more cost effective to just por15 everything i can
bjrodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.